Wikisource.com ("Wiki does not exist")

Bence Damokos
Dear Foundation!
I would like to ask the Foundation, is it intentional that
http://wikisource.com doesn't redirect to http://wikisource.org the same way
wikipedia.com and wiktionary.com does?
Also I would like to know why doesn't the "Wiki does not exist" page at
wikisource.com suggest the project Wikisource, and why is Wiktionary so
prominently featured?
I hope this is just a mistake, and my letter helps correct it.
Regards,
Bence Damokos

Re: Wikisource.com ("Wiki does not exist")

Thomas Dalton
> I would like to ask the Foundation, is it intentional that
> http://wikisource.com doesn't redirect to http://wikisource.org the same way
> wikipedia.com and wiktionary.com does?
> Also I would like to know why doesn't the "Wiki does not exist" page at
> wikisource.com suggest the project Wikisource, and why is Wiktionary so
> prominently featured?
> I hope this is just a mistake, and my letter helps correct it.
> Regards,
> Bence Damokos

www.wikisource.com correctly redirects, as does en.wikisource.com,
it's just when there is nothing before "wikisource" that it fails.
Probably just missed a line in a config file somewhere.

Re: Wikisource.com ("Wiki does not exist")

Robert S. Horning
Bence Damokos wrote:

> Dear Foundation!
> I would like to ask the Foundation, is it intentional that
> http://wikisource.com doesn't redirect to http://wikisource.org the same way
> wikipedia.com and wiktionary.com does?
> Also I would like to know why doesn't the "Wiki does not exist" page at
> wikisource.com suggest the project Wikisource, and why is Wiktionary so
> prominently featured?
> I hope this is just a mistake, and my letter helps correct it.
> Regards,
> Bence Damokos

I would like to add that http://wikijunior.org does not currently work
either, although in the past it automatically redirected to
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior

I'm not sure if somebody forgot to pay the bill for the domain, or if
this is merely an oversight where some configurations were changed in
the Wikimedia domain server and these records were wiped out.

If this needs to go to Bugzilla, I'll do that too.

-- Robert Horning

Re: Wikisource.com ("Wiki does not exist")

Brion Vibber-3

Re: Wikisource.com ("Wiki does not exist")

Brion Vibber-3

Domains

Platonides
BTW: Who will take care of the domains now Brad resigns?

Re: Domains

David Gerard-2
On 24/03/07, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW: Who will take care of the domains now Brad resigns?

Domain names? I thought that was already Brion's job.

- d.

Re: Domains

Robert S. Horning
David Gerard wrote:

> On 24/03/07, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> BTW: Who will take care of the domains now Brad resigns?
>>

> Domain names? I thought that was already Brion's job.
>

> - d
In the past Jimbo was the "designated agent" for domain names in terms
of who was listed as the primary administrative contact.

Brion is clearly the "technical contact", and he is the one that deals
with the server side in terms of which IP addresses and other issues
about the domains and sub-domains are concerned, but in terms of being
legally responsible for paying the bills and making sure the legal
aspects of keeping and maintaining the domain names (and fighting off
challenges to those who might claim the domains through legal action),
that was clearly Brad's area of expertise.

Currently "wikipedia.org" lists Brad as both the administrative contact
as well as the technical contact.  See
http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIs.aspx?domain=wikipedia.org&prog_id=godaddy
for some details.

Once a replacement for Brad happens, this is something that should be
dealt with.  I think Brion ought to be listed as the technical contact,
(mainly for situations like this), but that is something left to the WMF
board to decide.  The "real" person who owns the domain is the person
listed as the administrative contact.  In theory Brad could really screw
over the foundation here if he wanted, even though I seriously doubt he
is that kind of person to take advantage of this situation, not to
mention it would ruin is reputation as an attorney.

-- Robert Horning

Re: Domains

Florence Devouard-3
Platonides wrote:
> BTW: Who will take care of the domains now Brad resigns?

Reality check guys.

Domain names management are not under the responsability of the General
Counsel, but under the responsability of the ED.
So, your question is good, but outdated. Brad stopped being the ED in
january. We are in march. The question should have been asked in
february :-)

Practically speaking, check out this resolution

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution_Domain_names_workgroup

This resolution was made in november. I am actually not sure what its
current members exactly are, though I can cite Mark Bergsma and Delphine
Menard with certainty.

Unless I am wrong, the person taking care of this on the technical side
is Mark. The person in charge of paying the bills is Carolyn, our COO. I
agree the legal challenges were in Brad's expertise (he recently got
involved in the wikipedia.it issue). Finally, in terms of godaddy
contact, what matters is not the name of the person, but that the
contact is possible. As such, you can check and the email address
provided is not Brad's address, but a generic address
[hidden email].

In short, I can not promise everything is already taken care of, but
domain names is taken care of.

anthere

Re: Domains

Robert S. Horning
Florence Devouard wrote:

> Platonides wrote:
>
>> BTW: Who will take care of the domains now Brad resigns?
>>

> Reality check guys.

<*snip*>
> anthere

Considering that the announcement of Brad's resignation just occured, it
shouldn't be surprising that this is one issue that has just come up.
And while I am not questioning Brad's integrity here, I am pointing out
that a less than honorable person could take advantage of the situation
and move the domains to some other server farm and do all sorts of other
damage.  This is precisely why the "administrative contact" person
should be somebody with absolutely stellar integrity and has the full
faith and trust of not only the board but the entire community, and why
I believe this to be a very valid question.

While in the long run any such usurption of the WMF domains would
eventually come back under the control of the WMF, it would be a very
miserable several months if somebody were to mess things up in this
way.  Considering the way vandals try to mess up our projects, this
would be the ultimate vandalism ploy if this domain registration was
messed up.  It could be far more damaging than a rogue admin or even
steward.

I have no doubt that at the moment the WMF has this issue under control,
and that certainly any formalities that would also involve Brad would be
done as a matter of courtesy as well.

-- Robert Horning.

Re: Domains

George Chriss-2
&quot;Once a replacement for Brad happens...&quot;

Brad is not exactly replaceable ;-)
Let's just hope that we find a skilled lawyer who is as passionate about the WMF as Brad.
-George

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:35:16 -0600  Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List  wrote:

David Gerard wrote:

> On 24/03/07, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> BTW: Who will take care of the domains now Brad resigns?
>>

> Domain names? I thought that was already Brion's job.
>

> - d
In the past Jimbo was the &quot;designated agent&quot; for domain names in terms
of who was listed as the primary administrative contact.

Brion is clearly the &quot;technical contact&quot;, and he is the one that deals
with the server side in terms of which IP addresses and other issues
about the domains and sub-domains are concerned, but in terms of being
legally responsible for paying the bills and making sure the legal
aspects of keeping and maintaining the domain names (and fighting off
challenges to those who might claim the domains through legal action),
that was clearly Brad's area of expertise.

Currently &quot;wikipedia.org&quot; lists Brad as both the administrative contact
as well as the technical contact.  See
http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIs.aspx?domain=wikipedia.org&prog_id=godaddy
for some details.

Once a replacement for Brad happens, this is something that should be
dealt with.  I think Brion ought to be listed as the technical contact,
(mainly for situations like this), but that is something left to the WMF
board to decide.  The &quot;real&quot; person who owns the domain is the person
listed as the administrative contact.  In theory Brad could really screw
over the foundation here if he wanted, even though I seriously doubt he
is that kind of person to take advantage of this situation, not to
mention it would ruin is reputation as an attorney.

-- Robert Horning

Re: Domains

Anthony DiPierro
On 3/24/07, Robert Horning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Considering that the announcement of Brad's resignation just occured, it
> shouldn't be surprising that this is one issue that has just come up.
> And while I am not questioning Brad's integrity here, I am pointing out
> that a less than honorable person could take advantage of the situation
> and move the domains to some other server farm and do all sorts of other
> damage.

I suppose so, but besides such an incident eventually being corrected
(and I suspect it'd be days or hours, not months), whoever did such
destruction would probably spend time in jail as a result (criminal
breach of fiduciary duty).

The owner of the domains, I assume, is the corporation.  The admin
contact has authority to do pretty much anything, but in the case of a
dispute the owner of the domain can override the authority of the
admin contact.

So, I dunno, the level of concern over this matter seems overkill.
I'd personally see no problem with any employee of the WMF or any
board member being the admin contact.  Some kind of joint contact
situation (both people have to turn the key at the same time) would be
preferable, I guess, but AFAIK it's not possible.

Anthony

Re: Domains

Florence Devouard-3
Robert Horning wrote:

> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> Platonides wrote:
>>
>>> BTW: Who will take care of the domains now Brad resigns?
>>>

>> Reality check guys.
>>

> <*snip*>
>> anthere
>>

> Considering that the announcement of Brad's resignation just occured, it
> shouldn't be surprising that this is one issue that has just come up.
> And while I am not questioning Brad's integrity here, I am pointing out
> that a less than honorable person could take advantage of the situation
> and move the domains to some other server farm and do all sorts of other
> damage.  This is precisely why the "administrative contact" person
> should be somebody with absolutely stellar integrity and has the full
> faith and trust of not only the board but the entire community, and why
> I believe this to be a very valid question.

Whilst I have no worry at all about Brad integrity on this, my concern
was rather that for privacy reasons, I felt not confortable with us
having to read Brad mails to be able to follow up, in particular
automated systems such as registrations of domain names or trademarks.
It feels best to sometimes use generic email addresses, so that any
employee can follow up, and the address can be easily redirected to
another employee in case of cease of activity, holidays, illness, or
whatever.

This is also the interest of using a press at wikimedia.org rather than
sandy email. Better scaling and no pit when the person is not available.

ant

> While in the long run any such usurption of the WMF domains would
> eventually come back under the control of the WMF, it would be a very
> miserable several months if somebody were to mess things up in this
> way.  Considering the way vandals try to mess up our projects, this
> would be the ultimate vandalism ploy if this domain registration was
> messed up.  It could be far more damaging than a rogue admin or even
> steward.
>
> I have no doubt that at the moment the WMF has this issue under control,
> and that certainly any formalities that would also involve Brad would be
> done as a matter of courtesy as well.
>
> -- Robert Horning.

Re: Domains

Brad Patrick

As this thread demonstrates, and various poster's comments show, it is
important that *whoever* is in control at a given moment in time does in
fact have control.  A corporation always acts through its officers and
agents.  WMF is no different.

WMF has brilliant technical staff, as you all know.  Additionally,
Delphine (who has some technical knowledge of her own) has taken an
interest in working on these problems and has been for some time.

There is nothing to fear on the part of Foundation's ownership of
domains.  Challenges exist, and a huge some of money could be spent to
buy more, of course.