Wikistats gets a facelift - Alpha Launch of Wikistats 2

Wikistats gets a facelift - Alpha Launch of Wikistats 2

Nuria Ruiz
Hello from Analytics Team!

We are happy to announce the Alpha release of Wikistats 2. Wikistats has
been redesigned for architectural simplicity, faster data processing, and a
more dynamic and interactive user experience. First goal is to match the
numbers of the current system, and to provide the most important reports,
as decided by the Wikistats community (see survey) [1].  Over time, we will
continue to migrate reports and add new ones that you find useful. We can
also analyze the data in new and interesting ways, and look forward to
hearing your feedback and suggestions. [2]

You can go directly to Spanish Wikipedia
https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/es.wikipedia.org

or browse all projects
https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/all-projects

The new site comes with a whole new set of APIs, similar to our existing
Pageview API but with edit data. You can start using them today, they are
documented here:

https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Analytics/AQS/Wikistats

FAQ:

Why is this an alpha?
There are features that we feel a full-fledged product should have that are
still missing, such as localization. The data-processing pipeline for the
new Wikistats has been rebuilt from scratch (it uses distributed-computing
tools such as Hadoop) and we want to see how it is used before calling it
final. Also while we aim to update data monthly, it will happen a few days
after the month rolls because of the amount of data to move and compute.

How about comparing data between two wikis?
You can do it with two tabs but we are aware this UI might not solve all
use cases for the most advanced Wikistats users. We aim to tackle those in
the future.

How do I file bugs?
Use the handy link in the footer:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/edit/?title=Wikistats%20Bug&projectPHIDs=Analytics-Wikistats,Analytics

How do I comment on design?
The consultation on design already happened but we are still watching the
talk page:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikistats_2.0_Design_Project/RequestforFeedback/Round2

[1]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Wikistats/DumpReports/Future_per_report
[2] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Analytics/Systems/Wikistats

Re: Wikistats gets a facelift - Alpha Launch of Wikistats 2

Victoria Coleman
Nuria and team, fabulous work!  Wikistats 2 is such a huge improvement! Thank you!

Best wishes,

Victoria Coleman

Chief Technology Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
San Francisco, CA 94104

+1-650-703-8112

[hidden email]

> On Dec 13, 2017, at 8:26 PM, Nuria Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello from Analytics Team!
>
> We are happy to announce the Alpha release of Wikistats 2. Wikistats has
> been redesigned for architectural simplicity, faster data processing, and a
> more dynamic and interactive user experience. First goal is to match the
> numbers of the current system, and to provide the most important reports,
> as decided by the Wikistats community (see survey) [1].  Over time, we will
> continue to migrate reports and add new ones that you find useful. We can
> also analyze the data in new and interesting ways, and look forward to
> hearing your feedback and suggestions. [2]
>
> You can go directly to Spanish Wikipedia
> https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/es.wikipedia.org
>
> or browse all projects
> https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/all-projects
>
> The new site comes with a whole new set of APIs, similar to our existing
> Pageview API but with edit data. You can start using them today, they are
> documented here:
>
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Analytics/AQS/Wikistats
>

> FAQ:
>
> Why is this an alpha?
> There are features that we feel a full-fledged product should have that are
> still missing, such as localization. The data-processing pipeline for the
> new Wikistats has been rebuilt from scratch (it uses distributed-computing
> tools such as Hadoop) and we want to see how it is used before calling it
> final. Also while we aim to update data monthly, it will happen a few days
> after the month rolls because of the amount of data to move and compute.
>
> How about comparing data between two wikis?
> You can do it with two tabs but we are aware this UI might not solve all
> use cases for the most advanced Wikistats users. We aim to tackle those in
> the future.
>
> How do I file bugs?
> Use the handy link in the footer:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/edit/?title=Wikistats%20Bug&projectPHIDs=Analytics-Wikistats,Analytics
>
> How do I comment on design?
> The consultation on design already happened but we are still watching the
> talk page:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikistats_2.0_Design_Project/RequestforFeedback/Round2
>

> [1]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Wikistats/DumpReports/Future_per_report
> [2] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Analytics/Systems/Wikistats

Re: Wikistats gets a facelift - Alpha Launch of Wikistats 2

Niharika Kohli-2
This is awesome. Great job A-team!

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Victoria Coleman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> distributed-computing
> > tools such as Hadoop) and we want to see how it is used before calling it
> > final. Also while we aim to update data monthly, it will happen a few
> days
> > after the month rolls because of the amount of data to move and compute.
> >
> > How about comparing data between two wikis?
> > You can do it with two tabs but we are aware this UI might not solve all
> > use cases for the most advanced Wikistats users. We aim to tackle those
> in
> > the future.
> >
> > How do I file bugs?
> > Use the handy link in the footer:
> > https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/edit/?
> title=Wikistats%20Bug&projectPHIDs=Analytics-Wikistats,Analytics
> >
> > How do I comment on design?
> > The consultation on design already happened but we are still watching the

Niharika
Software Engineer
Community Tech

Re: Wikistats gets a facelift - Alpha Launch of Wikistats 2

Jonathan Morgan
This is fabulous! Thank you, Erik Zachte, Analytics team, and everyone else
involved in this project for giving us the powerful, usable stats dashboard
we deserve :)

- J

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Niharika Kohli <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> it
> > > final. Also while we aim to update data monthly, it will happen a few
> > days
> > > after the month rolls because of the amount of data to move and
> compute.
> > >
> > > How about comparing data between two wikis?
> > > You can do it with two tabs but we are aware this UI might not solve
> all
> > > use cases for the most advanced Wikistats users. We aim to tackle those
> > in
> > > the future.
> > >
> > > How do I file bugs?
> > > Use the handy link in the footer:
> > > https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/edit/?
> > title=Wikistats%20Bug&projectPHIDs=Analytics-Wikistats,Analytics
> > >
> > > How do I comment on design?
> > > The consultation on design already happened but we are still watching

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: Wikistats gets a facelift - Alpha Launch of Wikistats 2

zppix e
Great Work!!!! I love the design. Can't wait for finished product!

--
Zppix
Volunteer Wikimedia Developer

> On Dec 14, 2017, at 1:17 PM, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is fabulous! Thank you, Erik Zachte, Analytics team, and everyone else
> involved in this project for giving us the powerful, usable stats dashboard
> we deserve :)
>
> - J
>
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Niharika Kohli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> This is awesome. Great job A-team!
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Victoria Coleman <[hidden email]
>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nuria and team, fabulous work!  Wikistats 2 is such a huge improvement!
>>> Thank you!
>>>

>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Victoria Coleman
>>>
>>> Chief Technology Officer
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>> 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
>>> San Francisco, CA 94104
>>>
>>> +1-650-703-8112
>>>
>>> [hidden email]

>> has
>>> and a
>> the
>> reports,
>>> will
>> can

>> existing
>> are

>>> are
>> the
>>> distributed-computing
>> it
>>> days
>> compute.

>> all
>>> in

>>> title=Wikistats%20Bug&projectPHIDs=Analytics-Wikistats,Analytics

>> the
>>> Project/RequestforFeedback/Round2

>>> DumpReports/Future_per_report
>> Systems/Wikistats
>>>

>> --
>> Niharika
>> Software Engineer
>> Community Tech
>> Wikimedia Foundation

> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: Wikistats gets a facelift - Alpha Launch of Wikistats 2

Steven Walling
This is an amazing improvement. Great work!

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 12:41 PM zppix e <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great Work!!!! I love the design. Can't wait for finished product!
>
> --
> Zppix
> Volunteer Wikimedia Developer
> Volunteer Wikimedia GCI2017 Mentor
> enwp.org/User:Zppix
> **Note: I do not work for Wikimedia Foundation, or any of its chapters.**
>
> > On Dec 14, 2017, at 1:17 PM, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > This is fabulous! Thank you, Erik Zachte, Analytics team, and everyone
> else
> > involved in this project for giving us the powerful, usable stats
> dashboard
> > we deserve :)
> >
> > - J
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Niharika Kohli <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> This is awesome. Great job A-team!
> >>
> >> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Victoria Coleman <
> [hidden email]

> >> has
> >> the
> >> reports,
> >> can

> >> existing
> >> are

> that
> >> the
> >> it
> >> compute.

> >> all
> those

> >> the

> >> Systems/Wikistats
> >>>

> >> --
> >> Niharika
> >> Software Engineer
> >> Community Tech
> >> Wikimedia Foundation

> > Jonathan T. Morgan
> > Senior Design Researcher
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: Wikistats gets a facelift - Alpha Launch of Wikistats 2

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Yes this is really already in a great shape, congratulations and thank you.

Is showing "all project for a specific language" somewhere in the
remaining roadmap?

Le 14/12/2017 à 21:41, zppix e a écrit :

> Great Work!!!! I love the design. Can't wait for finished product!
>
> --
> Zppix
> Volunteer Wikimedia Developer
> Volunteer Wikimedia GCI2017 Mentor
> enwp.org/User:Zppix
> **Note: I do not work for Wikimedia Foundation, or any of its chapters.**
>
>> On Dec 14, 2017, at 1:17 PM, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is fabulous! Thank you, Erik Zachte, Analytics team, and everyone else
>> involved in this project for giving us the powerful, usable stats dashboard
>> we deserve :)
>>
>> - J
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Niharika Kohli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is awesome. Great job A-team!

>>> has
>>> the
>>> reports,
>>> can

>>> existing
>>> are

>>> the
>>> it
>>> compute.
>>> all

>>> the

>>> Systems/Wikistats
>>>>

>>> --
>>> Niharika
>>> Software Engineer
>>> Community Tech
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>>

>> --
>> Jonathan T. Morgan
>> Senior Design Researcher
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: Wikistats gets a facelift - Alpha Launch of Wikistats 2

Corey Floyd
This is so great - thanks to the whole Analytics team for building such a
fantastic tool!

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 3:30 PM mathieu stumpf guntz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes this is really already in a great shape, congratulations and thank you.
>
> Is showing "all project for a specific language" somewhere in the
> remaining roadmap?
>

> Le 14/12/2017 à 21:41, zppix e a écrit :
> > Great Work!!!! I love the design. Can't wait for finished product!
> >
> > --
> > Zppix
> > Volunteer Wikimedia Developer
> > Volunteer Wikimedia GCI2017 Mentor
> > enwp.org/User:Zppix
> > **Note: I do not work for Wikimedia Foundation, or any of its chapters.**
> >
> >> On Dec 14, 2017, at 1:17 PM, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is fabulous! Thank you, Erik Zachte, Analytics team, and everyone
> else
> >> involved in this project for giving us the powerful, usable stats
> dashboard
> >> we deserve :)
> >>
> >> - J

> [hidden email]

> improvement!

> we

> that
> calling
> those

> >> --
> >> Jonathan T. Morgan
> >> Senior Design Researcher
> >> Wikimedia Foundation
> >> User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Corey Floyd
Engineering Manager
Readers

Re: Wikistats gets a facelift - Alpha Launch of Wikistats 2

Nuria Ruiz
>Is showing "all project for a specific language" somewhere in the
remaining roadmap?
Let me make sure I understand: Showing metrics in a language-centric
fashion rather than project-centric fashion?

No, it is not something we are considering for the near future (not that is
not doable, it is just not a priority). Our future work will be around
these general areas: "pageviews per project per country" (soon), "mobile
layouts" (in some months), "localization" (mid term)  and invisible work in
the backend that help us process this much data in less time (all the time,
basically).

Le 15/12/2017 à 23:28, Nuria Ruiz a écrit :
>> Is showing "all project for a specific language" somewhere in the
> remaining roadmap?
> Let me make sure I understand: Showing metrics in a language-centric
> fashion rather than project-centric fashion?
Well, I mean, when you select any project, you *have* to select a
language, so the UX is already language-centric, and users will most
likely be expecting to find this approach also in the "All projects
Famillies" case.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to indeed also propose to get
statistic of project regardless of the language versions.

And to make things even more interesting, being able to select several
projects/versions and have comparison of progressions would be wonderful.

Finaly I didn't found how to filter the Wikisource main domain which do
still host some content from the user interface, although it does
provide a result when you directly get
https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/wikisource.org
> No, it is not something we are considering for the near future (not that is
> not doable, it is just not a priority). Our future work will be around
> these general areas: "pageviews per project per country" (soon), "mobile
> layouts" (in some months), "localization" (mid term)  and invisible work in
> the backend that help us process this much data in less time (all the time,
> basically).
Per country might be interesting, but having more accurate geographical
information than the largest administrative regions would be even better.