[Wikitech-l] Adequate place for new wikistats

[Wikitech-l] Adequate place for new wikistats

Felipe Ortega
Hi all.

The Libresoft Group, at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (Madrid), has started to generate a bunch of interesting metric graphics about Wikipedia.

These graphics currently include histograms about article size. They will soon also include, for instance, caracterization of several important groups of authors and their evolution in time (much in the way Jimbo Wales exposed a few months ago).

We plan to extend these results to all language versions of Wikipedia.

As these graphics complement current wikimetrics info about the project, generated by Erik Zatche's scripts, we wonder about the better place to release them, in case Wikimedia is interested (under a GPL license).

Could we include them in an "official repository page" with metrics about Wikipedia? Should we place only a link to a server of our own? Which could be the better place to create those links?

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Felipe Ortega.

Re: [Wikitech-l] Adequate place for new wikistats

Brad Patrick
I hope the developers give you a nice answer.  ;-)

I wanted to thank you for your effort, and encourage you to continue with
this line of research.  Understanding our projects through data is an
important and focused task many choose not to engage; thank you to you and
your colleagues for their work.

/me is excited to see what you have wrought.

-Brad

On 1/7/07, Felipe Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> The Libresoft Group, at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (Madrid), has started
> to generate a bunch of interesting metric graphics about Wikipedia.
>
> These graphics currently include histograms about article size. They will
> soon also include, for instance, caracterization of several important groups
> of authors and their evolution in time (much in the way Jimbo Wales exposed
> a few months ago).
>
> We plan to extend these results to all language versions of Wikipedia.
>
> As these graphics complement current wikimetrics info about the project,
> generated by Erik Zatche's scripts, we wonder about the better place to
> release them, in case Wikimedia is interested (under a GPL license).
>
> Could we include them in an "official repository page" with metrics about
> Wikipedia? Should we place only a link to a server of our own? Which could
> be the better place to create those links?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Regards.
>
> Felipe Ortega.

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

Re: [Wikitech-l] Adequate place for new wikistats

Ashar Voultoiz-2
Felipe Ortega wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> The Libresoft Group, at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (Madrid), has
> started to generate a bunch of interesting metric graphics about
> Wikipedia.
>
> These graphics currently include histograms about article size. They
> will soon also include, for instance, caracterization of several
> important groups of authors and their evolution in time (much in the
> way Jimbo Wales exposed a few months ago).
>
> We plan to extend these results to all language versions of
> Wikipedia.
>
> As these graphics complement current wikimetrics info about the
> project, generated by Erik Zatche's scripts, we wonder about the
> better place to release them, in case Wikimedia is interested (under
> a GPL license).
>
> Could we include them in an "official repository page" with metrics
> about Wikipedia? Should we place only a link to a server of our own?
> Which could be the better place to create those links?

Hello Felipe,

You can probably create a new bunch of articles on
http://meta.wikipedia.org and uploads the pictures on
http://commons.wikimedia.org (since they are GPL).

We can probably host them at stats.wikimedia.org too :)

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar

Re: [Wikitech-l] Adequate place for new wikistats

Platonides
Felipe Ortega escribió:

> As these graphics complement current wikimetrics info about the project, generated by Erik
  Zatche's scripts, we wonder about the better place to release them, in
case Wikimedia is
interested (under a GPL license).

Wouldn't a GFDL license be more adequate? GPL is intended to software...

Saludos
Platonides

Re: [Wikitech-l] Adequate place for new wikistats

Felipe Ortega
Well, yes! The GNU For Documents License is the precise one I should have mentioned :-o

Sorry, I usually abuse of the GPL ... Thanks for the adequate appointment, Platonides...

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. I will start to upload material as soon as possible.

Regards,

Felipe Ortega.