[Wikitech-l] Microformats

evanprodromou
So, my vanity Google Alert turned up this doozie yesterday:

http://www.vecosys.com/2007/01/29/wikipedia-adopts-microformats/

Per the post, "Wikipedia has just announced that are also looking at how
they can use Microformats on Wikipedia (and, more generally, in
WikiMedia)?"

I can't seem to find any such announcement; my guess is that it's either
a typical mixup of "Wikipedia" for "Wikia", or maybe just some blogger
getting his wires crossed.

In any event, Wikitravel's had uF's for a while now, and if there really
is someone working on this, I'd love to collaborate. I think uF's are
pretty cool and I'd like to see them more available for MW in general.

~Evan

Re: [Wikitech-l] Microformats

Brad Patrick
WTF?

This isn't us...Jimmy and the Wikia people will need to answer what's up.

/me is not surprised by anything in the press anymore.  :(

On 1/30/07, Evan Prodromou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, my vanity Google Alert turned up this doozie yesterday:
>
> http://www.vecosys.com/2007/01/29/wikipedia-adopts-microformats/
>
> Per the post, "Wikipedia has just announced that are also looking at how
> they can use Microformats on Wikipedia (and, more generally, in
> WikiMedia)?"
>
> I can't seem to find any such announcement; my guess is that it's either
> a typical mixup of "Wikipedia" for "Wikia", or maybe just some blogger
> getting his wires crossed.
>
> In any event, Wikitravel's had uF's for a while now, and if there really
> is someone working on this, I'd love to collaborate. I think uF's are
> pretty cool and I'd like to see them more available for MW in general.
>
> ~Evan

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

Re: [Wikitech-l] Microformats

Rob Church
On 31/01/07, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This isn't us...Jimmy and the Wikia people will need to answer what's up.

Bloody Wikians.

Rob Church

Re: [Wikitech-l] Microformats

Angela-5
On 1/31/07, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> WTF?
>
> This isn't us...

Perhaps it is...

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases/English_Wikipedia_tags_all_links_NoFollow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow says nofollow "has come to be
regarded as a microformat."

Wikia hasn't announced anything remotely related to microformats.

Angela

Re: [Wikitech-l] Microformats

Gregory Maxwell
On 1/31/07, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps it is...
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases/English_Wikipedia_tags_all_links_NoFollow
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow says nofollow "has come to be
> regarded as a microformat."
>
> Wikia hasn't announced anything remotely related to microformats.

Narr... Thats twisted.. and even given that logic, it's still not
right. We've used nofollow just about everywhere except the enwiki
main namespace for a long time.

Oh well.

Re: [Wikitech-l] Microformats

Angela-5
On 1/31/07, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 1/31/07, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > WTF?
> >
> > This isn't us...
>
> Perhaps it is...

I have another theory. They're perceiving the creation of a page by a
repeatedly blocked user as an official announcement...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Microformats was
made a couple of days ago and includes the same wording as the post on
vecosys.

Angela

Re: [Wikitech-l] Microformats

David Gerard-2
On 31/01/07, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have another theory. They're perceiving the creation of a page by a
> repeatedly blocked user as an official announcement...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Microformats was
> made a couple of days ago and includes the same wording as the post on
> vecosys.

Well. It's a good thing the press is officially a Reliable Source!

- d.

Re: [Wikitech-l] Microformats

Gerard Meijssen-3
Evan Prodromou schreef:

> So, my vanity Google Alert turned up this doozie yesterday:
>
> http://www.vecosys.com/2007/01/29/wikipedia-adopts-microformats/
>
> Per the post, "Wikipedia has just announced that are also looking at how
> they can use Microformats on Wikipedia (and, more generally, in
> WikiMedia)?"
>
> I can't seem to find any such announcement; my guess is that it's either
> a typical mixup of "Wikipedia" for "Wikia", or maybe just some blogger
> getting his wires crossed.
>
> In any event, Wikitravel's had uF's for a while now, and if there really
> is someone working on this, I'd love to collaborate. I think uF's are
> pretty cool and I'd like to see them more available for MW in general.
>
> ~Evan
Hoi,
This is indeed really nice stuff.  What grabbed my eye was the species
proposal. For OmegaWiki it would be possible to support this as we are
working towards the moment where we will indeed include taxonomical data
as well. The benefit OmegaWiki can provide is to include the vernacular
name for the same species ie dog Hund hond chien etc. You may notice
that in our dog record, we have relations to two breeds of dog already.
We can create relations to either the latest scientific name of older
scientific names given a name. OmegaWiki also aims to include links to
Wikipedia articles. This will allow people who need encyclopaedic
information find it in the language of their choice.

This week we discussed including Latin in OmegaWiki and have a special
designation for the Latin used in the taxonomy of species. This is
something that we have to sort out because the Latin names used in the
taxonomy are not Latin in the sense of it conforming to the rules of the
Latin language, it is also not what you want to find in a Latin spell
checker. It will mean that Latin names have to disappear from definitions.

Technically requesting information from OmegaWiki using the microformat
as the input for a request seems feasible to me. OmegaWiki does use
MediaWiki, it is MediaWiki :) .
Thanks,
    GerardM

http://microformats.org/wiki/species
http://www.omegawiki.org/DefinedMeaning:dog_%28966%29

Re: [Wikitech-l] Microformats

Bugzilla from mark@geekhive.net
Evan Prodromou wrote:
> In any event, Wikitravel's had uF's for a while now, and if there really
> is someone working on this, I'd love to collaborate. I think uF's are
> pretty cool and I'd like to see them more available for MW in general.

That would be me.  But of course you knew that. ;)

-mark

Re: [Wikitech-l] Microformats

Ligulem
On 31.01.2007 04:54, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> So, my vanity Google Alert turned up this doozie yesterday:
>
> http://www.vecosys.com/2007/01/29/wikipedia-adopts-microformats/
>
> Per the post, "Wikipedia has just announced that are also looking at how
> they can use Microformats on Wikipedia (and, more generally, in
> WikiMedia)?"

As a side note, Wikipedia user Omegatron added support for COinS tags to
the template cite book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:Cite_book#COinS_tags_for_machine-readable_metadata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COinS

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a microformat. Firefox plugin zotero
can pick-up book data thanks to this.

Moving support for something like cite book into MediaWiki might be
interesting, as the current template using parser functions is seen as a
hack by some wikipedians ("ridiculously complex", etc) and impossible to
understand by the so called "average" wikipedian.

Re: [Wikitech-l] Microformats

evanprodromou
On Wed, 2007-31-01 at 06:06 +0000, Angela wrote:

> I have another theory. They're perceiving the creation of a page by a
> repeatedly blocked user as an official announcement...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Microformats was
> made a couple of days ago and includes the same wording as the post on
> vecosys.

Wow! Great detective work. That has _got_ to be it.

It's probably wishful thinking on the part of the blogger. I haven't
seen this mentioned elsewhere, so it seems like no-harm no-foul.

Anyways, it's been a good instigation to get more general microformats
support out in either an extension or as an optional part of core. We've
been using uF's on Wikitravel for a while, and I know that Wikevent has
a lot of them going, too.

~Evan