[Wikitech-l] User rights for ProtectionBot on en.wikipedia

[Wikitech-l] User rights for ProtectionBot on en.wikipedia

Ligulem
On en.wikipedia we have a discussion about giving a user account sysop
group membership at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/ProtectionBot

We are currently discussing giving this user account only the
permissions from the group "registered" (or "bots") *plus* the protect
permission alone (instead of the whole sysop group set of permissions).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Requests_for_adminship/ProtectionBot#Access_rights_for_protection_bot

Do we need a new user group for this on en.wikipedia? Maybe a new group
"protect", containing the protect permission alone?

If we can show consensus for this, would a site admin/developer do this
for us?

Re: [Wikitech-l] User rights for ProtectionBot on en.wikipedia

Gregory Maxwell
On 1/10/07, Ligulem <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]

> We are currently discussing giving this user account only the
> permissions from the group "registered" (or "bots") *plus* the protect
> permission alone (instead of the whole sysop group set of permissions).
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Requests_for_adminship/ProtectionBot#Access_rights_for_protection_bot
>
> Do we need a new user group for this on en.wikipedia? Maybe a new group
> "protect", containing the protect permission alone?
>
> If we can show consensus for this, would a site admin/developer do this
> for us?

If the operator of the bot is not trusted enough to have access to
deletion or blocking, why do you trust him enough to have access to
protection?

Mediawiki isn't built around fine-grained security.

On 10.01.2007 15:04, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> Mediawiki isn't built around fine-grained security.

But we could use the existing granularity of the software. In this case,
the existing granularity of MediaWiki fits very well (protect permission).

We just would need a group to access it in the install of en.wikipedia.
That's all.

Other permissions are already handed out separately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:UAL

Re: [Wikitech-l] User rights for ProtectionBot on en.wikipedia

Bugzilla from andrew@epstone.net
Personally, I think this should be a non-issue, as my own improvements have made the bot pretty much useless. They should be live within a couple of days, maybe a week, max. As soon as that rolls around, I can't see a hell of a lot of point to the bot.

Andrew Garrett
(werdna)

Re: [Wikitech-l] User rights for ProtectionBot on en.wikipedia

Rob Church
On 10/01/07, Ligulem <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do we need a new user group for this on en.wikipedia? Maybe a new group
> "protect", containing the protect permission alone?

First of all, wait up - Werdna's working on something in a branch
which, if successful, will render ProtectionBot redundant.

Second of all, no, at this time, while we could add the groups in the
site configuration, we don't have a nice interface for granting groups
like that for non-stewards.

Rob Church

On 10.01.2007 18:16, Rob Church wrote:
> On 10/01/07, Ligulem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Do we need a new user group for this on en.wikipedia? Maybe a new group
>> "protect", containing the protect permission alone?
>
> First of all, wait up - Werdna's working on something in a branch
> which, if successful, will render ProtectionBot redundant.

Cool. I'm looking forward to read more about it.

> Second of all, no, at this time, while we could add the groups in the
> site configuration, we don't have a nice interface for granting groups
> like that for non-stewards.

My intention was to ask the stewards at

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_permissions#Miscellaneous_requests

assigning this special group in this special case.

With a pointer to the on-wiki consensus. Which we not yet have, but we
could build, provided we would have such a possibility.

A hen egg problem.

Re: [Wikitech-l] User rights for ProtectionBot on en.wikipedia

XaosFluX
It should be noted that this RFA ended with a withdrawal
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3ARequests_for_adminship%2FProtectionBot&diff=99897588&oldid=99889065)
by the operator, and the bot request is no longer active.

en:xaosflux