Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Reem Al-Kashif
Hello!

Hope this finds you well. I am teaching Lexicography to junior university
students this semester. What are ways I can incorporate Wikitionary in the
syllabus?

The idea I have now is to make them complete a project on Wikitionary by
adding entries to it. I think it would be awesome for them to see their
project alive and not buried in heaps of paper in my drawers.

Your input is highly appreciated.

Best,
Reem

--

*Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Noé Gasparini
Hi

I'll be happy to help you. I recently made a 6h class on French Wiktionary
for Master's students on lexicography. My slides are here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cours_sur_le_Wiktionnaire_francophone.pdf

I can send you the editable slides if you want, but French and English
Wiktionaries are quite diferents. You will have to adapt the course a lot.

Cheers,

Noé

Le sam. 9 mars 2019 12:24, Reem Al-Kashif <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello!
>
> Hope this finds you well. I am teaching Lexicography to junior university
> students this semester. What are ways I can incorporate Wikitionary in the
> syllabus?
>
> The idea I have now is to make them complete a project on Wikitionary by
> adding entries to it. I think it would be awesome for them to see their
> project alive and not buried in heaps of paper in my drawers.
>
> Your input is highly appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Reem
>
> --
>
> *Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*
>
> <
> http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail

> <
> http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail

Re: Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Reem Al-Kashif
Hi Noe,

Thank you very much for your reply. Great slides! Did you have a related
assignment for the students?

It would be great if you could send me the editable slides; my French is
really rusty and I need to Google-translate some of them.

Best,
Reem

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 at 13:51, Noé Gasparini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'll be happy to help you. I recently made a 6h class on French Wiktionary
> for Master's students on lexicography. My slides are here:
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cours_sur_le_Wiktionnaire_francophone.pdf
>
> I can send you the editable slides if you want, but French and English
> Wiktionaries are quite diferents. You will have to adapt the course a lot.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Noé
>
> Le sam. 9 mars 2019 12:24, Reem Al-Kashif <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > Hope this finds you well. I am teaching Lexicography to junior university
> > students this semester. What are ways I can incorporate Wikitionary in
> the
> > syllabus?
> >
> > The idea I have now is to make them complete a project on Wikitionary by
> > adding entries to it. I think it would be awesome for them to see their
> > project alive and not buried in heaps of paper in my drawers.
> >
> > Your input is highly appreciated.
> >
> > Best,
> > Reem
> >
> > --
> >
> > *Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*
> >
> > <
> >
> http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail

> > <
> >
> http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail

*Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*

Re: Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Noé Gasparini
Hi,

I'll send you the slides as soon as I get my computer (Monday maybe). My
course was part of a 24h session by professionals, for M1 and M2. So, I
just asked a short question to discuss a new issue Wiktionary have and
other dictionaries don't. During the class, I suggested several possible
answers like the picture of taboo, the non conservation of sources of
quotation taken from online newspapers, how to present the audio files when
there's dozen of them, etc. Adaptation of the content to worldwide readers
is a challenge.

For the slides, I may help to translate, but I am not sure you can obtain
each statistics I quoted for French Wiktionary. How many hours do you want
to dedicate to the online project ?

Noé

Le sam. 9 mars 2019 13:17, Reem Al-Kashif <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Noe,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply. Great slides! Did you have a related
> assignment for the students?
>
> It would be great if you could send me the editable slides; my French is
> really rusty and I need to Google-translate some of them.
>
> Best,
> Reem
>
> <
> http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail
> >
> Virus-free.
> www.avg.com
> <
> http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail
> >
> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 at 13:51, Noé Gasparini <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I'll be happy to help you. I recently made a 6h class on French
> Wiktionary
> > for Master's students on lexicography. My slides are here:
> >

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cours_sur_le_Wiktionnaire_francophone.pdf
> >
> > I can send you the editable slides if you want, but French and English
> > Wiktionaries are quite diferents. You will have to adapt the course a
> lot.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Noé
> >
> > Le sam. 9 mars 2019 12:24, Reem Al-Kashif <[hidden email]> a
> > écrit :
> >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Hope this finds you well. I am teaching Lexicography to junior
> university
> > > students this semester. What are ways I can incorporate Wikitionary in
> > the
> > > syllabus?
> > >
> > > The idea I have now is to make them complete a project on Wikitionary
> by
> > > adding entries to it. I think it would be awesome for them to see their
> > > project alive and not buried in heaps of paper in my drawers.
> > >
> > > Your input is highly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Reem
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > *Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*
> > >
> > > <
> > >

> http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail
> > > >
> > > Virus-free.
> > > www.avg.com
> > > <
> > >

> http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail
> > > >
> > > <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

> *Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*

Re: Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Dennis During
The desirability of new entries varies according to which language
Wiktionar(y/ies) will host the efforts, which language the entries will
be in and which language is the native language of the students.

Specifically, for English language words on English Wiktionary, coverage
is high. There are still many new words to be added, but to reward
students for new entries may create pressure to add obscure words with
marginal attestation.  On the other hand, entry quality is very uneven.
Comparing to the OED or the "unabridged" print dictionaries, some
entries seem to be too many definitions, some too few.  Definitions may
use words that themselves are dated, archaic, obsolete, or in an
inappropriate registers.  The layout of entries is fairly consistent,
but is regularly criticized.  At English Wiktionary, we have almost no
knowledge about who our actual users are and how they use Wiktionary.
The initial impressions of articulate users would be valuable to regular
contributors to Wiktionary.

I would be happy to discuss this further. Off-list would probably be
more appropriate than on-list.

On 3/9/2019 6:23 AM, Reem Al-Kashif wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Hope this finds you well. I am teaching Lexicography to junior university
> students this semester. What are ways I can incorporate Wikitionary in the
> syllabus?
>
> The idea I have now is to make them complete a project on Wikitionary by
> adding entries to it. I think it would be awesome for them to see their
> project alive and not buried in heaps of paper in my drawers.
>
> Your input is highly appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Reem

Re: Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Valerio Barbaking
Hi, I personally find this discussion pretty interesting, and I think that
you can continue on-list, if you want... I don’t think I’m the only one who
can find some useful points in what you are saying :)

Also, thanks to Noé for the slides, I will use them if I ever need
something similar for courses/presentations.

Have a nice day,

Valerio Barbaking (from the italian wiktionary)

Il giorno sab 9 mar 2019 alle 14:34 Dennis During <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> The desirability of new entries varies according to which language
> Wiktionar(y/ies) will host the efforts, which language the entries will
> be in and which language is the native language of the students.
>
> Specifically, for English language words on English Wiktionary, coverage
> is high. There are still many new words to be added, but to reward
> students for new entries may create pressure to add obscure words with
> marginal attestation.  On the other hand, entry quality is very uneven.
> Comparing to the OED or the "unabridged" print dictionaries, some
> entries seem to be too many definitions, some too few.  Definitions may
> use words that themselves are dated, archaic, obsolete, or in an
> inappropriate registers.  The layout of entries is fairly consistent,
> but is regularly criticized.  At English Wiktionary, we have almost no
> knowledge about who our actual users are and how they use Wiktionary.
> The initial impressions of articulate users would be valuable to regular
> contributors to Wiktionary.
>
> I would be happy to discuss this further. Off-list would probably be
> more appropriate than on-list.
>
> On 3/9/2019 6:23 AM, Reem Al-Kashif wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Hope this finds you well. I am teaching Lexicography to junior university
> > students this semester. What are ways I can incorporate Wikitionary in
> the
> > syllabus?
> >
> > The idea I have now is to make them complete a project on Wikitionary by
> > adding entries to it. I think it would be awesome for them to see their
> > project alive and not buried in heaps of paper in my drawers.
> >
> > Your input is highly appreciated.
> >
> > Best,
> > Reem

Valerio Barbaking Iannucci
Coordinatore area didattica - Lazio
Mob: +39 340 3459046 | Skype: Valerio.iannucci84
Wikimedia Italia

Re: Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Reem Al-Kashif
Hello!

@Noe thank you! Take your time :) Ideally, I think I would like each
student to spend 5 hours on the project. This could change in group
projects scheme.

@Dennis Thank you! I have been an editor on Wikipedia since 2012 but never
really edited Wikitionary, as far as I remember. So, the info you provided
is really useful in designing a project task. The students native language
is Arabic and they are majoring in translation between Arabic and English.
I asked the students before about Wikitionary, and they seem to have come
across it before but they don't know much about it.

@Valerio Thank you! Glad you find the discussion useful.

Best,
Reem

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 at 17:06, Valerio Barbaking <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi, I personally find this discussion pretty interesting, and I think that
> you can continue on-list, if you want... I don’t think I’m the only one who
> can find some useful points in what you are saying :)
>
> Also, thanks to Noé for the slides, I will use them if I ever need
> something similar for courses/presentations.
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Valerio Barbaking (from the italian wiktionary)
>
> Il giorno sab 9 mar 2019 alle 14:34 Dennis During <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
>
> > The desirability of new entries varies according to which language
> > Wiktionar(y/ies) will host the efforts, which language the entries will
> > be in and which language is the native language of the students.
> >
> > Specifically, for English language words on English Wiktionary, coverage
> > is high. There are still many new words to be added, but to reward
> > students for new entries may create pressure to add obscure words with
> > marginal attestation.  On the other hand, entry quality is very uneven.
> > Comparing to the OED or the "unabridged" print dictionaries, some
> > entries seem to be too many definitions, some too few.  Definitions may
> > use words that themselves are dated, archaic, obsolete, or in an
> > inappropriate registers.  The layout of entries is fairly consistent,
> > but is regularly criticized.  At English Wiktionary, we have almost no
> > knowledge about who our actual users are and how they use Wiktionary.
> > The initial impressions of articulate users would be valuable to regular
> > contributors to Wiktionary.
> >
> > I would be happy to discuss this further. Off-list would probably be
> > more appropriate than on-list.
> >
> > On 3/9/2019 6:23 AM, Reem Al-Kashif wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Hope this finds you well. I am teaching Lexicography to junior
> university
> > > students this semester. What are ways I can incorporate Wikitionary in
> > the
> > > syllabus?
> > >
> > > The idea I have now is to make them complete a project on Wikitionary
> by
> > > adding entries to it. I think it would be awesome for them to see their
> > > project alive and not buried in heaps of paper in my drawers.
> > >
> > > Your input is highly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Reem

> Valerio Barbaking Iannucci
> Coordinatore area didattica - Lazio
> Mob: +39 340 3459046 | Skype: Valerio.iannucci84
> Wikimedia Italia

*Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*

Re: Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Jean-Philippe Béland
I agree with Valerio, don't hesitate to keep this discussion on-list. It is
interesting and can be helpful to others.

From a French Wiktionary contributor.

Jean-Philippe Béland
User:Amqui

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 10:58 AM Reem Al-Kashif <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > but is regularly criticized.  At English Wiktionary, we have almost no
> > > knowledge about who our actual users are and how they use Wiktionary.
> > > The initial impressions of articulate users would be valuable to
> regular
> > > contributors to Wiktionary.
> > >
> > > I would be happy to discuss this further. Off-list would probably be
> > > more appropriate than on-list.

> > university
> in
> > > the

> > by
> their

> > Valerio Barbaking Iannucci
> > Coordinatore area didattica - Lazio
> > Mob: +39 340 3459046 <+39%20340%20345%209046> | Skype:
> Valerio.iannucci84
> > Wikimedia Italia

> *Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*

Re: Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Andrew Krizhanovsky
Hello!

Several years (2013-2017) my students (Petrozavodsk State University)
edited and created articles in Russian Wiktionary.

During the course:
1) We discussed the corpus linguistics.
2) Study the Russian National Corpus, and how to search good examples
of sentences for the dictionary.
3) Learn the structure of the Wiktionary entry (article).

This page in ruwikt
(https://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/Участник:AKA_MBG/wordlist) describes
the task and lists the students with assigned words. I will translate
it briefly:

The task for the students is to create a good article in native
language (Russian), namely:

0) Students select the words, which are absent in the Russian
Wiktionary, or words, which have empty section "Meaning". I provide
students with the list of such words.

1) Meaning. Take two or more solid (usually paper) dictionaries and
compile the description of the sense. If this is new word, then
provide good usage examples in order to validate your meaning.
(Teacher lists titles of good dictionaries.)

2) Find in the online corpus (e.g. in Russian National Corpus) good
usage examples and add them to your Wiktionary article. Two or three
examples for each meaning.

3) Fill all sections of the Wiktionary entry (really all, even
categories), except an etymology, since the etymology section is very
complex part (at least in Russian Wiktionary).

4) Make audio for your words (phrase) and upload it to the Commons. We
recorded audio at the lesson, I brought the good quality microphone to
the class. It was the most fun lesson in the course :) Not every
student selected respectable words for the work.

Professional editors of the Russian Wiktionary are invited to
supervise the student work. It saves students and helps to the teacher
:)

This editing of Wiktionary were done by student at home.
In the class one or two students show their results (in public, with
projector) and we discussed the common errors in order to prevent
these errors in the work of other students.

I have tried do not edit the Wiktionary entries itself, and I wrote
all my comments to the students at the corresponding talk pages.

P.S. Now the editing Wiktionary is additional task for not successful
students. The first place for my research with students is Wikiversity
and Wikidata, see
https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Research_in_programming_Wikidata

Best regards,
Andrew Krizhanovsky
User:AKA MBG

Re: Wikitionary in a Uni-level Lexicography Course

Reem Al-Kashif
Dear Andrew and all contributors to this thread,

I can't thank you enough for your help. I have designed the project layout
and will share it with you soon once students start working on it. I am
looking for a way to compile lemmas that are absent in the Arabic
Wiktionary in certain categories like medicine and psychology. Do we use a
Wikidata query for this? Does anybody have a query already?

Best,
Reem

*Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*