Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018

Andy Mabbett-2
Wikivoyage:

   https://en.wikivoyge.org/wiki/Wikimania_2018_Cape_Town_Guidebook

has a page with advice for Wikimania attendees. It's a good start, but
needs more local knowledge. Please help to improve the page if you can

For instance, South Africa uses both "Europlug" and "type D" power
sockets - but which is most prevalent at the city's hotels, and the
conference venue?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:22 AM Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wikivoyage:

   https://en.wikivoyge.org/wiki/Wikimania_2018_Cape_Town_Guidebook

has a page with advice for Wikimania attendees. It's a good start, but
needs more local knowledge. Please help to improve the page if you can

For instance, South Africa uses both "Europlug" and "type D" power
sockets - but which is most prevalent at the city's hotels, and the
conference venue?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
Community Liaison, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018

Peter Southwood

Updated, let me know if more information is needed.

Cheers, Peter

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:22 AM Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wikivoyage:

   https://en.wikivoyge.org/wiki/Wikimania_2018_Cape_Town_Guidebook

has a page with advice for Wikimania attendees. It's a good start, but
needs more local knowledge. Please help to improve the page if you can

For instance, South Africa uses both "Europlug" and "type D" power
sockets - but which is most prevalent at the city's hotels, and the
conference venue?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
Community Liaison, Wikimedia Foundation

Image removed by sender.

Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018

Andy Mabbett-2
Thank you.

As I have just posted on the page's talk-page:

"How do we get to the city centre/ event venue from the airport? The
Cape Town page says to use MyCiTi - that's a bus, I think, but it's
not clear. What does it cost? Is exact change needed? Do we pay on the
bus, or at the airport?"

On 30 June 2018 at 09:19, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Updated, let me know if more information is needed.
>
> Cheers, Peter

Ellie Young
There are several options, and yes that is a bus shuttle and the costs are listed.

See:

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you.

As I have just posted on the page's talk-page:

"How do we get to the city centre/ event venue from the airport? The
Cape Town page says to use MyCiTi - that's a bus, I think, but it's
not clear. What does it cost? Is exact change needed? Do we pay on the
bus, or at the airport?"

On 30 June 2018 at 09:19, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Updated, let me know if more information is needed.
>
> Cheers, Peter

Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
c. 510 701 8649

Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018

Michael Peel-2
Are the "Wow Capetown Travel and Tours” prices correct? They seem really expensive (e.g., US$45 is around 600ZAR, compared to 400ZAR for an Uber in both directions without sharing - the US$80/day tours seem extremely expensive!).

BTW, I’ve put some currency conversion estimates at:
and have created the template at:
that might be useful to add to the info pages.

Thanks,
Mike

On 8 Jul 2018, at 18:22, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

There are several options, and yes that is a bus shuttle and the costs are listed.

See:

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you.

As I have just posted on the page's talk-page:

"How do we get to the city centre/ event venue from the airport? The
Cape Town page says to use MyCiTi - that's a bus, I think, but it's
not clear. What does it cost? Is exact change needed? Do we pay on the
bus, or at the airport?"

On 30 June 2018 at 09:19, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Updated, let me know if more information is needed.
>
> Cheers, Peter

​I updated the conference wiki, but to answer some of your questions:

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 3:00 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are the "Wow Capetown Travel and Tours” prices correct? They seem really expensive (e.g., US$45 is around 600ZAR, compared to 400ZAR for an Uber in both directions without sharing

​Yes they are a bit more expensive but  they offer a “Meet & Greet” service with staff at the airport, ready to welcome each person. This may might be a good, safe option for first-time visitors to be welcomed and escorted to their transportation. Clients are asked to provide the time, date, and flight number of both their arriving and departing flights.

- the US$80/day tours seem extremely expensive!).

​I​
n terms of the pricing……
​ We looked at several other companies for group tour options e.g.,

Ilios Travel – R1350 per person about $104

​USD

African Eagle – R1300 per person about $100

​USD

​Wow's
 price is R1040 ($80
​USD​
)
​also
 includes entrance fees of $23usd per person.

​Ellie​

BTW, I’ve put some currency conversion estimates at:
and have created the template at:
that might be useful to add to the info pages.

Thanks,
Mike

On 8 Jul 2018, at 18:22, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

There are several options, and yes that is a bus shuttle and the costs are listed.

See:

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you.

As I have just posted on the page's talk-page:

"How do we get to the city centre/ event venue from the airport? The
Cape Town page says to use MyCiTi - that's a bus, I think, but it's
not clear. What does it cost? Is exact change needed? Do we pay on the
bus, or at the airport?"

On 30 June 2018 at 09:19, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Updated, let me know if more information is needed.
>
> Cheers, Peter

Douglas Scott
Hi Michael,

There will also be information aviable from Cape Town Tourism for people who want to self travel or check out other options in Cape Town.  There really is a lot of choice at many different price points but it will be easier to access that information in Cape Town.  The event venue is also right across the road from the Cape Town tourism offices and we will even be hosting our offical edit-a-thon from there so accessing this info will be very easy.

Regards,

Douglas.

On 9 July 2018 at 17:35, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
​I updated the conference wiki, but to answer some of your questions:

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 3:00 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are the "Wow Capetown Travel and Tours” prices correct? They seem really expensive (e.g., US$45 is around 600ZAR, compared to 400ZAR for an Uber in both directions without sharing

​Yes they are a bit more expensive but  they offer a “Meet & Greet” service with staff at the airport, ready to welcome each person. This may might be a good, safe option for first-time visitors to be welcomed and escorted to their transportation. Clients are asked to provide the time, date, and flight number of both their arriving and departing flights.

- the US$80/day tours seem extremely expensive!).

​I​
n terms of the pricing……
​ We looked at several other companies for group tour options e.g.,

Ilios Travel – R1350 per person about $104

​USD

African Eagle – R1300 per person about $100

​USD

​Wow's
 price is R1040 ($80
​USD​
)
​also
 includes entrance fees of $23usd per person.

​Ellie​

BTW, I’ve put some currency conversion estimates at:
and have created the template at:
that might be useful to add to the info pages.

Thanks,
Mike

On 8 Jul 2018, at 18:22, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

There are several options, and yes that is a bus shuttle and the costs are listed.

See:

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you.

As I have just posted on the page's talk-page:

"How do we get to the city centre/ event venue from the airport? The
Cape Town page says to use MyCiTi - that's a bus, I think, but it's
not clear. What does it cost? Is exact change needed? Do we pay on the
bus, or at the airport?"

On 30 June 2018 at 09:19, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Updated, let me know if more information is needed.
>
> Cheers, Peter

Douglas Ian Scott
司道格
Skype:  douglas0scott
South African mobile number: +27 (0)79 515 8727