Won't let me upload .XLS files

Jan Steinman
I added 'xls' to the array $wgFileExtensions in LocalSettings.php,
and tried to upload a ~20kb spreadsheet.

I get the message: "The file is corrupt or has an incorrect
extension. Please check the file and upload again."

I tried uploading several times, and successfully opened the file in
MarinerCalc. (I don't do monopolies, so can't check it in Excel, but
I'll bet neither can MediaWiki... :-)

The server is case-sensitive; the client is case-preserving. The
actual file extension is lower case.

I've done the same procedure with 'pdf' files, and can successfully
upload those.

This is MediaWiki 1.5.3, on MacOS X 10.4.5 with MySQL 5.0.15.

Any ideas?

:::: Beware of the military-industrial complex. -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>