World Wikipedia project?

shojo
I have mentioned this a couple of times, but as yet no one seems interested.
The idea is to coordinate Wikipedia policy over different languages as much
as possible, so it becomes easier to amalgamate, to the benefit of all, with
just translation needed. Then issues of formatting, layout, image policy etc
etc should already have been sorted. Comments?

luke

Re: World Wikipedia project?

Anders Wegge Keller
"luke brandt" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have mentioned this a couple of times, but as yet no one seems interested.
> The idea is to coordinate Wikipedia policy over different languages as much
> as possible, so it becomes easier to amalgamate, to the benefit of all, with
> just translation needed. Then issues of formatting, layout, image policy etc
> etc should already have been sorted. Comments?

 That's a sure way of speeding up the number of local forks.
Personally I'll fork dawiki *long* time before we approach the level
of policy-ness that enwiki is currently experiencing.

 My advice: Don't even think the thought.

--
// Wegge

Re: World Wikipedia project?

Sebastian Moleski
On 10/26/06, luke brandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have mentioned this a couple of times, but as yet no one seems
> interested.
> The idea is to coordinate Wikipedia policy over different languages as
> much
> as possible, so it becomes easier to amalgamate, to the benefit of all,
> with
> just translation needed. Then issues of formatting, layout, image policy
> etc
> etc should already have been sorted. Comments?

I have thought this before and realized that the benefits such would bring
nowhere near outweigh the cost in terms of length of discussion, time spent,
people dishearted, misunderstandings created, and just pure effort wasted.
Languages aren't interchangeable, they're are attached to cultures who tend
to sustain their own perspective on many things. Trying to navigate all
these differences and actually create consensus about what should be policy
would be an utter nightmare no one will want to do for a significant period
of time - especially not volunteers.

sm

Re: World Wikipedia project?

Ray Saintonge
luke brandt wrote:

>I have mentioned this a couple of times, but as yet no one seems interested.
>The idea is to coordinate Wikipedia policy over different languages as much
>as possible, so it becomes easier to amalgamate, to the benefit of all, with
>just translation needed. Then issues of formatting, layout, image policy etc
>etc should already have been sorted. Comments?

Only that it's an incredibly bad idea.  Articles in English, for
example, are the product of many people coming to a consensus about a
subject to arrive at NPOV.  Articles on the same subject will have gone
through similar processes with a different group of editors, but may
have very well come to a different NPOV.  Your suggestion would require
that all languages arrive at the same NPOV.  I would prefer not opening
that can of worms.

Ec

Re: World Wikipedia project?

Brianna Laugher
On 26/10/06, luke brandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have mentioned this a couple of times, but as yet no one seems interested.
> The idea is to coordinate Wikipedia policy over different languages as much
> as possible, so it becomes easier to amalgamate, to the benefit of all, with
> just translation needed.

What does "amalgamate" mean, exactly? I am not convinced of any great
need for all the projects to have identical policies.

Then issues of formatting, layout, image policy etc
> etc should already have been sorted. Comments?

Personally, I wouldn't mind if we all converged on de.wp or es.wp's
image policy, but I think there would be significant disagreement.

Formatting? Layout? What does this mean exactly? This is one of the
areas I would least expect to have policy convergence, given that each
written language has its own history and tradition.

Wikis evolve at different rates, and so do their policies. Many small
wikis might not even HAVE written policies on many key issues. You can
understand that a small community of eager editors can think of better
things to do than think up or translate twenty key policies.

Brianna
user:pfctdayelise

Re: World Wikipedia project?

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Anders Wegge Jakobsen wrote:

> "luke brandt" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I have mentioned this a couple of times, but as yet no one seems interested.
>> The idea is to coordinate Wikipedia policy over different languages as much
>> as possible, so it becomes easier to amalgamate, to the benefit of all, with
>> just translation needed. Then issues of formatting, layout, image policy etc
>> etc should already have been sorted. Comments?
>
>  That's a sure way of speeding up the number of local forks.
> Personally I'll fork dawiki *long* time before we approach the level
> of policy-ness that enwiki is currently experiencing.

I'm still waiting for the content-driven fork of enwiki :/

Re: World Wikipedia project?

Erik Moeller-4
On 10/26/06, luke brandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have mentioned this a couple of times, but as yet no one seems interested.
> The idea is to coordinate Wikipedia policy over different languages as much
> as possible, so it becomes easier to amalgamate, to the benefit of all, with
> just translation needed. Then issues of formatting, layout, image policy etc
> etc should already have been sorted. Comments?

Documenting practices on Meta -- possibly combined with subjective
analysis and commentary -- seems like a good idea to me. You don't
need to start a new project or ask for anyone's permission to do this;
just start writing and structuring your thoughts.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Re: World Wikipedia project?

Delphine Ménard

> On 10/26/06, luke brandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have mentioned this a couple of times, but as yet no one seems interested.
> > The idea is to coordinate Wikipedia policy over different languages as much
> > as possible, so it becomes easier to amalgamate, to the benefit of all, with
> > just translation needed. Then issues of formatting, layout, image policy etc
> > etc should already have been sorted. Comments?
>
> Documenting practices on Meta -- possibly combined with subjective
> analysis and commentary -- seems like a good idea to me. You don't
> need to start a new project or ask for anyone's permission to do this;
> just start writing and structuring your thoughts.

Yes, documenting differences would be an excellent idea. I believe
that informally, a lot of policies are derived from one project or the
other. But that many also originate in a project because they give an
answer to a need arising at one point in time.

As to why I personally believe that unifying the policies is a very
unpractical thing to do, just ask yourself and five other people from
different cultures what length of time they'd put behind the phrase
"It was a very long meeting".

I've done it in a room with 15 people and we came up with so many
different answers (a long meeting was from 20 minutes up to a 8 hours
meeting) that I started grasping the differences that culture (in the
case of Wikimedia, it would be national culture or project culture or
whatever other thing that makes people and communities different).

I believe that different people will give different answers to the
same issues. People may learn from each other, or may not. And that is
their choice. I don't believe that anyone should impose their
solutions on others. Translation is not only a language issue, it is
also an interpretation issue, so even in the unlikely case that all
communities would agree on policies, their translation in different
languages would probably already transform the policy just because it
refers to different concepts in the first place, although they have
the same name.

(hey, we should probably try to start with "what is the role and
definition of a sysop in your project". That one will probably show
the range of different understandings)

Delphine
--
~notafish

Re: World Wikipedia project?

magiske prosesser
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:33:15 +0200
  "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Documenting practices on Meta -- possibly combined with
>subjective
> analysis and commentary -- seems like a good idea to me.
>You don't
> need to start a new project or ask for anyone's
>permission to do this;
> just start writing and structuring your thoughts.

Now that was a strike of genius! I will even volunteer for
such a project!

Growth and love!

Halvor (User:meco)

--
email to and from this person will be subject to public
availability

Re: World Wikipedia project?

James Hare
Keep in mind that Erik had expressed such an idea on his Campaign Platform.