X-Wikimedia-Debug, your new secret side-kick

X-Wikimedia-Debug, your new secret side-kick

Ori Livneh
Hey all,

I'm writing to let you know of a cool new facility for debugging MediaWiki
code on the Wikimedia production cluster -- the X-Wikimedia-Debug
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/X-Wikimedia-Debug> HTTP header.

By setting this header on requests to Wikimedia wikis, you can:

- Bypass the cache.
- Force Varnish to pass your request to a specific backend server.
- Profile request and log profiling data to XHGui.
- Turn on all log channels and send log messages to a special view in
Kibana / Logstash.
- Force MediaWiki to process the request in read-only mode.

And the best part: there are browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox that
provide a friendly user-interface for these features:

http://i.imgur.com/XzWUk0h.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/lJ7l6Vl.gifv

Cool? Cool.

Read the docs on Wikitech
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/X-Wikimedia-Debug> for more
information.

Re: X-Wikimedia-Debug, your new secret side-kick

Jaime Crespo
On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 3:32 AM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool? Cool.

Definitely Cool.

--
Jaime Crespo
<http://wikimedia.org>

Re: X-Wikimedia-Debug, your new secret side-kick

Yuri Astrakhan-2
Isn't there a recommendation not to use the X- prefix for any new headers?
On Mar 31, 2016 12:23 PM, "Jaime Crespo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 3:32 AM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Cool? Cool.
>
> Definitely Cool.
>
> --
> Jaime Crespo
> <http://wikimedia.org>

Re: X-Wikimedia-Debug, your new secret side-kick

Daniel Friesen-2
Yup, and this seems to include vendor usage in addition to discouraging
continuation of the terrible legacy of X-Forwarded-For, x-gzip, etc...
headers where X- headers ended up de facto standards.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6648

I suggest VND.Wikimedia.Debug:

But Wikimedia-Debug would also be acceptable; but might want to submit
it to the registry.

On 2016-03-31 8:15 AM, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:

> Isn't there a recommendation not to use the X- prefix for any new headers?
> On Mar 31, 2016 12:23 PM, "Jaime Crespo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 3:32 AM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Cool? Cool.
>> Definitely Cool.
>>
>> --
>> Jaime Crespo
>> <http://wikimedia.org>

Re: X-Wikimedia-Debug, your new secret side-kick

Eric Evans
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cool? Cool.

Cool.

--
Eric Evans

Re: X-Wikimedia-Debug, your new secret side-kick

Corey Floyd
Bookmarked!

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Eric Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Cool? Cool.
>
> Cool.
>
> --
> Eric Evans

Corey Floyd
Software Engineer
Mobile Apps / iOS

Re: X-Wikimedia-Debug, your new secret side-kick

Ori Livneh
On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Isn't there a recommendation not to use the X- prefix for any new headers?

There is, but there is a clear existing convention for using the X- prefix
in Wikimedia-specific headers, so I think local consistency trumps the IETF
recommendation. We currently have X-Analytics, X-Trusted-Proxy,
X-Wikimedia-Security-Audit, X-Pass-Stream, X-Carrier, X-Carrier-Meta,
X-CDIS, X-Subdomain,
X-Orig-Cookie, X-MediaWiki-Original, X-WMF-NOCOOKIES, X-ZeroTLS,
X-Forwarded-By, X-CS2, and X-Subdomain. And this is not an exhaustive list.

Re: X-Wikimedia-Debug, your new secret side-kick

Sam Smith
On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:32 AM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:​

> Cool? Cool.

Very cool.

Kudos to all involved.

-Sam