.YU domain transition

Nikola Smolenski
Thanks, Platonides, for CCing here, even though it appears that the list is
dead :(

>Some more equivalences:

>www.budva.cg.yu www.budva.rs
>spc.org.yu www.spc.rs
>www.oks.org.yu www.oks.org.rs
>www.kikinda.org.yu www.kikinda.rs
>www.ds.org.yu www.ds.org.rs
>www.nbs.yu www.nbs.rs
>www.serbia.sr.gov.yu www.srbija.gov.rs
>eunet.yu eunet.rs
>www.zastava-arms.co.yu www.zastava-arms.co.rs
>www.airportnis.co.yu www.airportnis.rs
>www.danas.co.yu www.danas.rs [Archive links don't seem to work]

Note that for the list I made, I have actually checked whether the site is
otherwise the same and whether all the links to subpages will continue to
work. I can't say if the same is true for these sites and what is the best
thing to do where it isn't.

One more link, quite common on fr.wikipedia is www.belex.co.yu that should go
to www.belex.rs . The links to subpages should continue to work.

Re: .YU domain transition

Nikola Smolenski
Дана Tuesday 17 February 2009 22:20:46 Nikola Smolenski написа:
> One more link, quite common on fr.wikipedia is www.belex.co.yu that should
> go to www.belex.rs . The links to subpages should continue to work.

And one more: www.beograd.org.yu -> www.beograd.rs . The subpages continue to
work.

Re: .YU domain transition

Platonides
Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> Thanks, Platonides, for CCing here, even though it appears that the list is
> dead :(

Indeed, but it's targetting the appropiate people IMHO.
I expect they're still subscribed :-)

>> Some more equivalences:
>
>> www.budva.cg.yu www.budva.rs
>> spc.org.yu www.spc.rs
>> www.oks.org.yu www.oks.org.rs
>> www.kikinda.org.yu www.kikinda.rs
>> www.ds.org.yu www.ds.org.rs
>> www.nbs.yu www.nbs.rs
>> www.serbia.sr.gov.yu www.srbija.gov.rs
>> eunet.yu eunet.rs
>> www.zastava-arms.co.yu www.zastava-arms.co.rs
>> www.airportnis.co.yu www.airportnis.rs
>> www.danas.co.yu www.danas.rs [Archive links don't seem to work]
>
> Note that for the list I made, I have actually checked whether the site is
> otherwise the same and whether all the links to subpages will continue to
> work. I can't say if the same is true for these sites and what is the best
> thing to do where it isn't.

I just checked thay they seemed to be the same site (I detected sedo
domains but wouldn'nt a mirror), and looked at the internal pages, but
many links on the wiki were just for the main page, so didn't went
further on them. Some sites have the same content on both domains, other
redirect one to the other, and yet others as airportnis, place a flash
redirect :P (but as the link was just for the main page, seems
acceptable to fix it on an early run). Other pages were 404 on .yu so I
linked to Internet Archive.
And also, there're many domains which I don't have a clue where they may
finally get :-)

Re: .YU domain transition

Daniel Herding
Hi all,

I have added a fix to fixes.py.

Please run this on your home wiki:
python replace.py -namespace:0 -fix:yu-tld -weblink:*.yu

Also, please feel free to add URLs to this fix (if you're sure that it works).

Daniel

Am Dienstag 17 Februar 2009 schrieb Platonides:

> Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> > Thanks, Platonides, for CCing here, even though it appears that the list
> > is dead :(
>
> Indeed, but it's targetting the appropiate people IMHO.
> I expect they're still subscribed :-)
>
> >> Some more equivalences:
> >>
> >> www.budva.cg.yu www.budva.rs
> >> spc.org.yu www.spc.rs
> >> www.oks.org.yu www.oks.org.rs
> >> www.kikinda.org.yu www.kikinda.rs
> >> www.ds.org.yu www.ds.org.rs
> >> www.nbs.yu www.nbs.rs
> >> www.serbia.sr.gov.yu www.srbija.gov.rs
> >> eunet.yu eunet.rs
> >> www.zastava-arms.co.yu www.zastava-arms.co.rs
> >> www.airportnis.co.yu www.airportnis.rs
> >> www.danas.co.yu www.danas.rs [Archive links don't seem to work]
> >
> > Note that for the list I made, I have actually checked whether the site
> > is otherwise the same and whether all the links to subpages will continue
> > to work. I can't say if the same is true for these sites and what is the
> > best thing to do where it isn't.
>
> I just checked thay they seemed to be the same site (I detected sedo
> domains but wouldn'nt a mirror), and looked at the internal pages, but
> many links on the wiki were just for the main page, so didn't went
> further on them. Some sites have the same content on both domains, other
> redirect one to the other, and yet others as airportnis, place a flash
> redirect :P (but as the link was just for the main page, seems
> acceptable to fix it on an early run). Other pages were 404 on .yu so I
> linked to Internet Archive.
> And also, there're many domains which I don't have a clue where they may
> finally get :-)

Re: .YU domain transition

Nicolas Dumazet
Nice =)

I'll run this on the English and French wikipedia. I'll add more rules too :)

2009/2/18 Daniel Herding <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I have added a fix to fixes.py.
>
> Please run this on your home wiki:
> python replace.py -namespace:0 -fix:yu-tld -weblink:*.yu
>
> Also, please feel free to add URLs to this fix (if you're sure that it works).
>

> Daniel
>
> Am Dienstag 17 Februar 2009 schrieb Platonides:
>> Nikola Smolenski wrote:
>> > Thanks, Platonides, for CCing here, even though it appears that the list
>> > is dead :(
>>
>> Indeed, but it's targetting the appropiate people IMHO.
>> I expect they're still subscribed :-)

>> > Note that for the list I made, I have actually checked whether the site
>> > is otherwise the same and whether all the links to subpages will continue
>> > to work. I can't say if the same is true for these sites and what is the
>> > best thing to do where it isn't.
>>
>> I just checked thay they seemed to be the same site (I detected sedo
>> domains but wouldn'nt a mirror), and looked at the internal pages, but
>> many links on the wiki were just for the main page, so didn't went
>> further on them. Some sites have the same content on both domains, other
>> redirect one to the other, and yet others as airportnis, place a flash
>> redirect :P (but as the link was just for the main page, seems
>> acceptable to fix it on an early run). Other pages were 404 on .yu so I
>> linked to Internet Archive.
>> And also, there're many domains which I don't have a clue where they may
>> finally get :-)

Nicolas Dumazet — NicDumZ [ nɪk.d̪ymz ]

Re: .YU domain transition

Nikola Smolenski
Дана Wednesday 18 February 2009 00:12:11 Daniel Herding написа:
> I have added a fix to fixes.py.
>
> Please run this on your home wiki:
> python replace.py -namespace:0 -fix:yu-tld -weblink:*.yu
>
> Also, please feel free to add URLs to this fix (if you're sure that it
> works).

Great! :D But I see you have not added the original URLs I suggested:

webrzs.statserb.sr.gov.yu => webrzs.stat.gov.rs
www.rastko.org.yu => www.rastko.org.rs
www.reprezentacija.co.yu => www.reprezentacija.rs
www.blic.co.yu => www.blic.co.rs
www.beograd.org.yu => www.beograd.org.rs
arhiva.glas-javnosti.co.yu => arhiva.glas-javnosti.rs
www.srpsko-nasledje.co.yu => www.srpsko-nasledje.co.rs
www.dnevnik.co.yu => www.dnevnik.rs
www.srbija.sr.gov.yu => www.srbija.gov.rs
www.kurir-info.co.yu/Arhiva => arhiva.kurir-info.rs/Arhiva
www.kurir-info.co.yu/arhiva => arhiva.kurir-info.rs/arhiva
www.kurir-info.co.yu => www.kurir-info.rs
arhiva.kurir-info.co.yu => arhiva.kurir-info.rs
www.prvaliga.co.yu => www.prvaliga.rs
www.mitropolija.cg.yu => www.mitropolija.me
www.spc.yu/sr => www.spc.rs/sr
www.sk.co.yu => www.sk.co.rs
www.ekoforum.org.yu => www.ekoforum.org
www.svevlad.org.yu => www.svevlad.org.rs
www.posta.co.yu => www.posta.rs
www.glas-javnosti.co.yu => www.glas-javnosti.rs
www.fscg.cg.yu => www.fscg.co.me
ww1.rts.co.yu/euro => ww1.rts.co.rs/euro

These are THE most common ones, and all of them are manually checked to ensure
that they work: not only they lead to the same website, but also the website
structure remained the same, and so they can be safely replaced.

Re: [Bulk] .YU domain transition

Jeroen M.W. van Dijk
I'm missing something, why is this large transation needed. What is changed
is .yu changed into .rs or is .rs changed in .yu???

ing. Jeroen M.W. van Dijk wrote:
> I'm missing something, why is this large transation needed. What is changed
> is .yu changed into .rs or is .rs changed in .yu???

See original message. .yu disappears and new domains .rs and .me appear.
Some just change the tld. Others go from things like foo.sr.gov.yu to
foo.sr or foo.gov.sr
There's no fixed rule :(

Re: .YU domain transition

Nikola Smolenski
Дана Tuesday 17 February 2009 23:54:52 Platonides написа:
> Indeed, but it's targetting the appropiate people IMHO.
> I expect they're still subscribed :-)

Apparently so :)

I have now made an automated comparison of domains, by searching if an
appropriate .rs or .me domain exists on the same IP address. Rationale: even
if someone squats someone else's domain (and this is rare, so far I have not
seen a case of it), it is unlikely that they will also choose the same
provider and get the same IP.

The list of IP comparisons, and shell scripts for pywikipediabot for all the
projects, generated from it, are at
http://toolserver.org/~nikola/yurs_bare.tar.bz2 . I have made the scripts so
that they will only only change  "bare" domains, as we don't know if contents
of pages on the domain has changed. For that, full page-by-page comparison
would be necessary, but that was a bit too much for me.