Year: 2011 Week: 36 Number: 125

EN Wikizine
   __    __ _ _    _     _
  / / /\ \ (_) | _(_)___(_)_ __   ___
  \ \/  \/ / | |/ / |_  / | '_ \ / _ \
   \  /\  /| |   <| |/ /| | | | |  __/
    \/  \/ |_|_|\_\_/___|_|_| |_|\___|
                                     .org

Year: 2011  Week: 36  Number: 125

An independent internal news bulletin
for the members of the Wikimedia community

//////////////////////////////////////////

=== Community ===

[Stewards election] - Candidate submission will last up to September
7th. Voting will be held between September 15th and October 6th.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/elections_2011-2

[Writing contest] - In 2004 the Dutch language Wikipedia was the first
Wikipedia to organize a writing contest. Now at the 1th of September
already the 8th edition will start and run for 2 months. Users can
work alone or in a team on an article of their choice. At the end the
jury will award the prizes to the winners; an image of the trophy they
can put on their user pages.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Schrijfwedstrijd

[Research committee] - Next Research committee meeting will be held on
September 2nd.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_Committee/Meetings/Meeting_2011-09-02

[Project closures] - Scots Wikipedia proposed for closure; proposal
rejected during the same day. Proposals for Inuktitut and Old English
Wikipedias closure rejected, while proposal for Asturianu Wikibooks
closure accepted using the standard procedure.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Scots_Wikipedia
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Inuktitut_Wikipedia_2
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Inuktitut_Wikipedia_2
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Old_English_Wikipedia
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Asturianu_Wikibooks
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Closing_projects_policy

=== Other news ===

[WikiLoves Monuments] - Have a date with a monument and send the proof
to Commons! And, you never know, you may win one of many nice prizes.

WikiLoves Monuments is project in 18 European countries to get quality
pictures of important items of cultural heritage. It is organized by
national groups, with the exception of the program representing the
Kingdom of Belgium and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg - which is one
project that crosses state lines and includes several languages.

The project takes the form of an image contest. The user needs to
upload their pictures to Commons in September. A national jury,
depending on the country where the monument is located, will judge and
proclaim the winners and award prizes. But the best prize is to get
freely licensed pictures of our heritage out there.
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu/ --- see menu at the right for list
of participating country's
http://tinyurl.com/3bzt2oc -- Wikimedia Germany about WikiLoves
Monuments (google translation)

=== Technical news ===

[AbuseFilter] - this is an extension for MediaWiki, which helps
prevent vandalism on wikis, and is now active on all wikis. Before you
needed to ask (via a bugzilla request) to enable it for your wiki.
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/08/24/filter-preventing-abusive-edits-all-wikis/
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/54632
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Edit_filter -- documentation about it

=== Foundation ===

[Results are in] - ... of the editor survey of April 2011. The actual
report is available as a PDF on Meta. But there is also an extensive
summary on Meta. And if that is also too long to read for you - check
out the Wikipedia Signpost - they will probably give a short summary
of it.
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/08/29/report-for-editor-survey-april-2011/
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_Survey_2011 -- actual report here!
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_Survey_2011/Executive_Summary
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost

=== Chapters ===

[Wikipedia.no] - YES! - The Chapter Wikimedia Norway has unanimously
decide to make the domain wikipedia.no a portal page instead of
pointing it to the bokmål version of Wikipedia. In many countries the
first thing internet users enter is <name>+national TLD when they look
for a website. By sharing this important internet real estate other,
mostly very small, Wikipedias in languages of that county get exposure
to visitors. Others, like wikipedia.be and wikipedia.be made this
change long ago. Some, like wikipedia.de , choose not to.
http://www.wikipedia.no
http://tinyurl.com/3l7cchr -- WM Norway press release about it (Google
translation)

[Chapters Planet] - There are many WM Chapters so a special blog
aggregator for all the postings by them seemed to be a good idea. User
Bence, a student in Hungary, is offering this service at
chaptersplanet.org  Also is there an applet with the chapters twitter
streams.
http://www.chaptersplanet.org/

[Wikimedia Washington DC] - Wiki Society of Washington, DC Inc. has
been approved by Chapters committee as sub-national chapter under the
name Wikimedia District of Columbia. It is now before the Board for
discussion and approval.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_committee/Resolutions/Approval_of_Wikimedia_Washington_DC_-_August_2011

[Wikimedia Hungary] - Wikimedia Hungary published their report for May 2011.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports/Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g/May_2011

[Wikimedia Sweden] - Wikimedia Sweden published their report for June
and July 2011.
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaannounce-l/2011-August/000223.html

[Wikimedia Denmark] - Wikimedia Denmark published their report for July 2011.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Danmark/Kvartalsrapport_juli_2011 (in
Danish)
http://tinyurl.com/3kvnwxm -- Google translation

[Iberocoop] - Report from Wikimania published by Wikimedia Argentina
(in Spanish).
http://www.wikimedia.org.ar/node/45 (in Spanish)
http://tinyurl.com/3g3vsyh  -- Google translation
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Iberocoop

[Women and Wikimedia] - Wikimedia UK published report "Girl Geeks V.
Wikimeet ? An exercise in real-time collaboration"
http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2011/08/girl-geeks-v-wikimeet-an-exercise-in-real-time-collaboration/

[Wikimedia UK] - Wikimedia UK published report for July 2011.
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reports/2011/July

=== Meetups ===

[RegioWikiCamp Brest (France)] - September 2, 2011
http://wiki.regiowiki.eu/RegioWikiCamp_2011

[Hong Kong 57] - September 16, 2011
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Hong_Kong/57

[Manchester wikimeet] - September 17, 2011
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Manchester

[Berkeley Wikipedia Meetup] - September 17, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Berkeley

(Meetups section is filled from Wikipedia:Meetup page at English
Wikipedia. Please, add your meetup there and it will be published by
Wikizine.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup

=== Media ===

[Wikipedia Signpost] - Volume 7, Issue 34 ? 22 August 2011 has been
published. Stories in this edition: Journalist regrets not checking
citation, PR firms issue advice on how to ?survive? Wikipedia (but
U.S. Congressman caught red-handed), Girl Geeks edit while they dine,
JJ Harrison on avian photography, After eleven moves, name for islands
now under arbitration.
http://www.wikipediasignpost.com/blog/?p=374

=== Stats ===

[Wikipedia] - July 2011 was the best July ever by the number of very
active users for Chinese, Hindi, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian,
Indonesian, French and many more Wikipedias.
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/ChartsWikipediaZH.htm
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/ChartsWikipediaHI.htm
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/ChartsWikipediaES.htm
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/ChartsWikipediaPT.htm
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/ChartsWikipediaRU.htm
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/ChartsWikipediaID.htm
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/ChartsWikipediaFR.htm

=== In the news ===

[News.com.au] - Article "The Wikipedia article 'philosophy game' in
numbers" published in news.com.au
http://www.news.com.au/technology/the-wikipedia-article-philosophy-game-in-numbers/story-e6frfro0-1226119845491

[Daily India] - Daily India published article about Wikimedia India
(although wrongly named "Wikipedia-India")
http://www.dnaindia.com/academy/report_college-of-engineering-pune-students-to-co-author-wikipedia-india_1578420

[Jimmy Wales on BBC] - Jimmy Wales will appear at BBC Radio 3's Free
Thinking Festival 2011 begin November.
http://www.newsonnews.net/radio/11213-wikipedia-founder-heads-line-up-at-bbc-radio-3-s-free-thinking-festival-2011.html

[Network World] - Network World authors Jim Metzler and Steve Taylor
think that Wikipedia "is an open source, peer-reviewed online
dictionary".
http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/frame/2011/082211wan1.html

[Inquirer News] - Inquirer News author Paolo G. Montecillo thinks that
"Wikipedia is our smartest teacher".
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/45417/when-kids-go-online-unguided

=== From Wikipedia ===

[Khat] - Khat is a flowering plant native to tropical East Africa and
the Arabian Peninsula. It contains the alkaloid called cathinone, an
amphetamine-like stimulant which is said to cause excitement, loss of
appetite, and euphoria. Khat is so popular in Yemen that its
cultivation consumes much of the country's agricultural resources. It
is estimated that 40% of the country's water supply goes towards
irrigating it, with production increasing by about 10% to 15% every
year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khat

[Kingdom Tower] - Kingdom Tower is a supertall skyscraper approved for
construction in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Its preliminary cost is 1.23
billion USD and it will be tall at least 1,000 meters, becoming the
tallest building in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Tower

[Louie Louie] - In February, 1964, an outraged parent wrote to Robert
Kennedy, then the Attorney General of the United States, alleging that
the lyrics of "Louie Louie" were obscene. The Federal Bureau of
Investigation investigated the complaint. In June 1965, the FBI
laboratory obtained a copy of the Kingsmen recording and, after two
years of investigation, concluded that the recording could not be
interpreted, that it was "unintelligible at any speed" [...]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Louie#Lyrics_investigation

//////////////////////////////////////////
@@@@@@@@  Wikizine seeks editors @@@@@@@@@
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Editor(s): Milos, Walter
Corrector(s): Nathan
Thanks to: Nathan
Contact: http://report.wikizine.org
Website: http://www.wikizine.org
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
@@@@@@  Reader feedback is welcome @@@@@@
//////////////////////////////////////////

Wikizine.org makes no guarantee of accuracy,
validity and especially but not limited to,
correct grammar and spelling. Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
Some content can be highly inspired or directly copied from other sources.
Those sources are listed above at "Sources-Attributions".
Wikizine.org is published by [[meta:user:Walter]].
Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike
License 3.0

editor survey report

Mani Pande
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share the final report from the Editor Survey. It is
available as a PDF and in wiki format. You can find the links to the PDF
and wiki report here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_Survey_2011

Here is the accompanying blog post on release of the report and data:
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/08/29/report-for-editor-survey-april-2011/

Our report is a first cut at data analysis, and we are hoping that
community members and researchers will conduct additional analysis. To
facilitate further analysis we are releasing raw anonymized data from
the survey.

The raw data is available in data dumps, if you are interested in
delving into the data and conducting analysis, you can find it here:
http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/surveys/editorsurvey2011/* * Along with
the CSV file, we have also made available the codebook and  accompanying
documentation on methodology for data anonymization. *

*Thanks* *in advance,
Mani

--
Mani Pande, PhD
Head of Global Development Research

Re: editor survey report

Béria Lima
Mani,

A question: when you say that *"**Wikimedia chapters got the least favorable
ratings (6.15) ... In addition, knowledge and involvement with chapters is
low. 46% of respondents said that they didn’t know if there was a chapter in
their country"*

Are you counting everyone? People from places with Chapters and without
chapters? Because that would be a bit strange if someone answer that they
"know" there is a chapter in a country that does not have one.

There are any results filtered by places with chapter only? Rate, knowlegle
and involvement in chapter from places where there are actually a chapter?
_____
*Béria Lima*
<http://wikimedia.pt/>(351) 925 171 484

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre
acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
fazer <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Nossos_projetos>.*

On 30 August 2011 01:14, Mani Pande <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I wanted to share the final report from the Editor Survey. It is
> available as a PDF and in wiki format. You can find the links to the PDF
> and wiki report here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_Survey_2011
>
> Here is the accompanying blog post on release of the report and data:
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/08/29/report-for-editor-survey-april-2011/
>
> Our report is a first cut at data analysis, and we are hoping that
> community members and researchers will conduct additional analysis. To
> facilitate further analysis we are releasing raw anonymized data from
> the survey.
>
> The raw data is available in data dumps, if you are interested in
> delving into the data and conducting analysis, you can find it here:
> http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/surveys/editorsurvey2011/* * Along with
> the CSV file, we have also made available the codebook and  accompanying
> documentation on methodology for data anonymization. *
>
> *Thanks* *in advance,
> Mani
>
> --
> Mani Pande, PhD
> Head of Global Development Research
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415-882-7981 ext 6721
> Twitter: manipande
> Skype: manipande

Re: editor survey report

Yaroslav M. Blanter
> Are you counting everyone? People from places with Chapters and without
> chapters? Because that would be a bit strange if someone answer that
they
> "know" there is a chapter in a country that does not have one.

But they had an option to answer that they know there is no chapter in
their country, from what I understand. Then they would not land in this 46%
cut.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: editor survey report

Béria Lima
They would Yaroslav. The answer is exactly to that question :P

My question is to know how many people don't know there is a chapter in a
country with a chapter. That info is more relevant to chapters members than
the total number of answer about that.
_____

On 30 August 2011 12:25, Yaroslav M. Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Are you counting everyone? People from places with Chapters and without
> > chapters? Because that would be a bit strange if someone answer that
> they
> > "know" there is a chapter in a country that does not have one.
> >

> But they had an option to answer that they know there is no chapter in
> their country, from what I understand. Then they would not land in this 46%
> cut.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

Re: editor survey report

theo10011
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mani,
>
> A question: when you say that *"**Wikimedia chapters got the least
> favorable
> ratings (6.15) ... In addition, knowledge and involvement with chapters is
> low. 46% of respondents said that they didn’t know if there was a chapter
> in
> their country"*
>
> Are you counting everyone? People from places with Chapters and without
> chapters? Because that would be a bit strange if someone answer that they
> "know" there is a chapter in a country that does not have one.
>
> There are any results filtered by places with chapter only? Rate, knowlegle
> and involvement in chapter from places where there are actually a chapter?

Hi Mani

Its been more than a week. Do you mind answering any of these questions
above? I know people who are wondering about the same things in regard to
the chapters and the survey.

Thanks

Theo

Re: editor survey report

Béria Lima
And more than 1 month after....

... I'm still waiting for an answer. This answer will come? If no, you
people mind to answer this mail with "I don't know" on it? So at least I
will know someone read it.
_____

On 9 September 2011 11:52, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Mani,
> >
> > A question: when you say that *"**Wikimedia chapters got the least
> > favorable
> > ratings (6.15) ... In addition, knowledge and involvement with chapters
> is
> > low. 46% of respondents said that they didn’t know if there was a chapter
> > in
> > their country"*
> >
> > Are you counting everyone? People from places with Chapters and without
> > chapters? Because that would be a bit strange if someone answer that they
> > "know" there is a chapter in a country that does not have one.
> >
> > There are any results filtered by places with chapter only? Rate,
> knowlegle
> > and involvement in chapter from places where there are actually a
> chapter?
> >

> Hi Mani
>
> Its been more than a week. Do you mind answering any of these questions
> above? I know people who are wondering about the same things in regard to
> the chapters and the survey.
>
> Thanks
>
> Theo

Re: editor survey report

Mani Pande
Hi Beria,
My apologies for taking so long to answer the question. I was not hiding or
avoiding your question. I missed your question till Phillipe pointed it out
to me last week since for some reason your initial email and subsequent
emails on the topic landed in my junk folder.

We asked the question about chapters from everyone, irrespective of their
response to the question about the presence of chapter in their country of
residence. We were limited by the abilities of Lime Survey -- the open
source software -- that we used for survey to filter questions based on
previous answers. But we made the questions non-mandatory so people didn't
have to answer it if they felt that did not have enough information to
answer it.

The topline and questionnaire from the survey is posted on meta if you are
interested.  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_Survey_2011/Appendix
We have also made the raw data available in case you or someone else is
interested in delving deeper into this topic.

If you have any questions in the future, please, don't hesitate to write
directly to me at [hidden email] as I check my email rather
frequently. :)

Thanks
Mani