Your Local Team update for Wikimania 2013: March 2013

Your Local Team update for Wikimania 2013: March 2013

Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan
Dear Wikimaniacs & Non-Wikimaniacs

This is your local team lead for this years conference in Hong Kong.

As the local team pretty understands everyone's anticipation to the conference
so we will try to keep you informed about the latest update of the conference
whenever they can be release to the public

Here are a few piece of info I think you will be interested to know

a. Hostel accommodation
One thing I am sorry to tell you that, the dorm of PolyU is not available due to renovation in this summer.
So we have arrange the dorm of another university in Kowloon, Baptist University for scholarship recipients (whether WMF or Chapter scholarship)

However, the BU dorm is not in the walking distance to PolyU,
but it is still in a very convenient location, just two MTR stations away from PolyU
and we will also arrange shuttle in the morning, to getting most people to the venue.

We estimate there are still a number of beds that can be available as hostel options,
so the local team will start accepting reservation for these extra beds
when the scholarship recipients start getting letter of notifications.

We will only accept those reservation request from those who are not supported by any scholarship or any Wikimedia entities,
and also we may consider reserving some beds for Wikipedians/wikimedians only

For the location of the new dorm, you may visit this website:  http://sa.hkbu.edu.hk/ugh/hallmap.html
More information will be available in the official wiki

b. Parties
We are basically settled on the choice of venue for both welcoming parties and closing parties
however we cannot reveal too much, either we are still negotiation, or revealing may lead to some extra cost.

For the opening party, please pray for a good weather, as you can enjoy the famous harbour view from the venue.

and for the closing party, considering some feedbacks we will switch to a Beach party, rather than Beach barbecue
the location is also different from the one we stated in the bid
however, you can still experience the different landscape of Hong Kong (suppose you never see or even expect)

If you have any questions, please feel free to keep asking in the current available means
like here, or the wiki page, we may try to be active on IRC, but due to the time difference.... we cannot be always online while you're online

lOOking forward to seeing you here in August

--
Jeromy-Yu "Jerry" Chan, ARAD
User:Yuyu | zh.wikipedia

Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
Lend us a simple edit, you're a Wikipedian!

Re: Your Local Team update for Wikimania 2013: March 2013

Bence Damokos
Thank you for this update, Jerry! Good to know that the organisation is well on track.

Best regards,
Bence

On Friday, March 22, 2013, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Wikimaniacs & Non-Wikimaniacs
> This is your local team lead for this years conference in Hong Kong.
> As the local team pretty understands everyone's anticipation to the conference
> so we will try to keep you informed about the latest update of the conference
> whenever they can be release to the public
> Here are a few piece of info I think you will be interested to know
> a. Hostel accommodation
> One thing I am sorry to tell you that, the dorm of PolyU is not available due to renovation in this summer.
> So we have arrange the dorm of another university in Kowloon, Baptist University for scholarship recipients (whether WMF or Chapter scholarship)
> However, the BU dorm is not in the walking distance to PolyU,
> but it is still in a very convenient location, just two MTR stations away from PolyU
> and we will also arrange shuttle in the morning, to getting most people to the venue.
> We estimate there are still a number of beds that can be available as hostel options,
> so the local team will start accepting reservation for these extra beds
> when the scholarship recipients start getting letter of notifications.
> We will only accept those reservation request from those who are not supported by any scholarship or any Wikimedia entities,
> and also we may consider reserving some beds for Wikipedians/wikimedians only
> For the location of the new dorm, you may visit this website:  http://sa.hkbu.edu.hk/ugh/hallmap.html
> More information will be available in the official wiki
> b. Parties
> We are basically settled on the choice of venue for both welcoming parties and closing parties
> however we cannot reveal too much, either we are still negotiation, or revealing may lead to some extra cost.
> For the opening party, please pray for a good weather, as you can enjoy the famous harbour view from the venue.
> and for the closing party, considering some feedbacks we will switch to a Beach party, rather than Beach barbecue
> the location is also different from the one we stated in the bid
> however, you can still experience the different landscape of Hong Kong (suppose you never see or even expect)
>

> If you have any questions, please feel free to keep asking in the current available means
> like here, or the wiki page, we may try to be active on IRC, but due to the time difference.... we cannot be always online while you're online
> lOOking forward to seeing you here in August
> --
> Jeromy-Yu "Jerry" Chan, ARAD
> User:Yuyu | zh.wikipedia
> Advisor, Wikimedia Hong Kong
> ChapCom/ComCom, Wikimedia Foundation
> Coordinator-in-Chief, Wikimania 2013
> also Jeromyu on twitter, plurk and most of places
> http://plasticnews.wfhttp://about.me/jeromyu
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> Lend us a simple edit, you're a Wikipedian!

Re: Your Local Team update for Wikimania 2013: March 2013

Shujen Chang
What's the style of rooms in BU dorm? Single/double rooms or multiple occupancy rooms?

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tel (Mobile): <a href="tel:%2B852%209279%201601" value="+85292791601" target="_blank">+852 9279 1601
Lend us a simple edit, you're a Wikipedian!

Sincerely,
Shujen Chang

Re: Your Local Team update for Wikimania 2013: March 2013

Rehman Abubakr
What about Hostelling International?

HI-Hong Kong: http://www.hihostels.com/dba/country-Hong-Kong-HK.en.htm

I think that's close, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right stuff...

User:Rehman

Re: Your Local Team update for Wikimania 2013: March 2013

Joseph Fox
They really were! Genuinely great, 10/10. If their HK colleagues are of equal aceness they'd be well worth a shout.
--
Joseph Fox
English Wikipedia

http://enwp.org/user:foxj

On 26 Mar 2013, at 0:50, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

<base href="x-msg://5794/">
Hostelling International was fantastic during Wikimania 2012 ;-)

On Mar 25, 2013, at 8:45 PM, Rehman Wikimedia wrote:

What about Hostelling International?

HI-Hong Kong: http://www.hihostels.com/dba/country-Hong-Kong-HK.en.htm

I think that's close, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right stuff...

User:Rehman

Re: Your Local Team update for Wikimania 2013: March 2013

Alan Lai
During the bid, the organising team have considered a very ace youth
hostel in Shek Kip Mei (about half an hour total ride from the venue)
called Mei Ho House [1] [2] to be our hosteling option, unfortunately
due to significant work delays it is yet to be opened. Indeed, it is
not accepting reservations as of today yet.

Due to this uncertainty, we have decided against using this hostel as
our accommodation option, but instead have sought other university
dormitories nearby with good transport connections as mentioned by
Jerry.

Best regards,
Alan

[1] As mentioned in our bid,
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimania_2013_bids/Hong_Kong#Local_vicinity
[2] Details and updates of this youth hostel can be found at
http://www.meihohouse.hk/eng/

2013/3/26 Joseph Fox <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> the location is also different from the one we stated in the bid
> however, you can still experience the different landscape of Hong Kong
> (suppose you never see or even expect)
>

> If you have any questions, please feel free to keep asking in the current
> available means
> like here, or the wiki page, we may try to be active on IRC, but due to the
> time difference.... we cannot be always online while you're online
>
> lOOking forward to seeing you here in August
>
> --
> Jeromy-Yu "Jerry" Chan, ARAD
> User:Yuyu | zh.wikipedia
> Advisor, Wikimedia Hong Kong
> ChapCom/ComCom, Wikimedia Foundation
> Coordinator-in-Chief, Wikimania 2013
> also Jeromyu on twitter, plurk and most of places
> http://plasticnews.wf| http://about.me/jeromyu
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> Lend us a simple edit, you're a Wikipedian!

Alan C Y Lai
[hidden email]
Tel: +852 6168 7708

Re: Your Local Team update for Wikimania 2013: March 2013

Alan Lai
Details of the dormitory room facilities can be found in
http://sa.hkbu.edu.hk/ugh/accommodation.html

They are twin rooms with well-appointed washroom in every two
adjoining rooms, ie four people will share a bathroom.

Alan

2013/3/26 Shujen Chang <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> the location is also different from the one we stated in the bid
>> however, you can still experience the different landscape of Hong Kong
>> (suppose you never see or even expect)
>>

>> If you have any questions, please feel free to keep asking in the current
>> available means
>> like here, or the wiki page, we may try to be active on IRC, but due to
>> the time difference.... we cannot be always online while you're online
>>
>> lOOking forward to seeing you here in August
>>
>> --
>> Jeromy-Yu "Jerry" Chan, ARAD
>> User:Yuyu | zh.wikipedia
>> Advisor, Wikimedia Hong Kong
>> ChapCom/ComCom, Wikimedia Foundation
>> Coordinator-in-Chief, Wikimania 2013
>> also Jeromyu on twitter, plurk and most of places
>> http://plasticnews.wf| http://about.me/jeromyu
>>
>> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
>> Lend us a simple edit, you're a Wikipedian!

Alan C Y Lai
[hidden email]
Tel: +852 6168 7708

Re: Your Local Team update for Wikimania 2013: March 2013

Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan
The location of HI hostel in HK is not convenient and number of beds are tiny

There is a bigger one in a rather convenient location is still in construction. I was last told it will open in June, which I have serious doubt with.

The team is working on the info of HKBU dorms, which will be soon available on the wiki, plz be patient

Sent from my iPhone

On 26 Mar, 2013, at 8:50, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

<base href="x-msg://5794/">Hostelling International was fantastic during Wikimania 2012 ;-)

On Mar 25, 2013, at 8:45 PM, Rehman Wikimedia wrote:

What about Hostelling International?

HI-Hong Kong: http://www.hihostels.com/dba/country-Hong-Kong-HK.en.htm

I think that's close, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right stuff...

User:Rehman

Re: Your Local Team update for Wikimania 2013: March 2013

Deryck Chan
All the HI hostels in Hong Kong are in the remote countryside, more than an hour's commute from the venue.

The pin for Mong Tung Wan is misplaced - the correct location is about 20km southwest of where it appears to be on HI's Google Map :(

We were originally planning to block-book the Mei Ho House HI hostel (which would be next to a railway station and therefore only half an hour's commute from the venue) which was scheduled to open in late 2012. But the latest news we have is that their opening has been postponed to after Wikimania 2013.

I apologise on behalf of nobody for the inconvenient truth,
Deryck