Zotero group for Wikimedia-related research

Zotero group for Wikimedia-related research

Michael Ekstrand-8
At WikiSym this year, some of us started a Zotero group for collecting
research papers about Wikipedia.  It's intended to serve a purpose
similar to that of the "Wikipedia in academic studies" page[1], but in
Zotero so that it integrates well with the research process.  Membership
is currently open to all, and anyone can add resources.

To keep it from being an unbounded collection of everything remotely
wiki-related, there are a few guidelines for what topics are within
scope of this library:

 * Wikipedia as a community and social system
 * Open collaboration using Wikipedia as a data set or considered system
 * Wiki technology focused on or studying Wikimedia projects

Hopefully this will be a useful resource to the Wikipedia research
community.

- Michael

--
Michael Ekstrand <[hidden email]>
Ph.D student, Computer Science -- University of Minnesota

Re: Zotero group for Wikimedia-related research

Cormac Lawler
Thanks for this Michael,

2009/11/2 Michael Ekstrand <[hidden email]>
At WikiSym this year, some of us started a Zotero group for collecting
research papers about Wikipedia.  It's intended to serve a purpose
similar to that of the "Wikipedia in academic studies" page[1], but in
Zotero so that it integrates well with the research process.  Membership
is currently open to all, and anyone can add resources.

Can you give a link?

To keep it from being an unbounded collection of everything remotely
wiki-related, there are a few guidelines for what topics are within
scope of this library:

 * Wikipedia as a community and social system
 * Open collaboration using Wikipedia as a data set or considered system
 * Wiki technology focused on or studying Wikimedia projects

I'm confused about the phrasing of this last (third) point. Do you mean all research on wiki technology, or research on Wikimedia projects which is limited to their technical aspects, or..?

Hopefully this will be a useful resource to the Wikipedia research
community.

I hope so. :-)

Cheers,
Cormac

Cormac Lawler wrote:

> Thanks for this Michael,
>
> 2009/11/2 Michael Ekstrand <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     At WikiSym this year, some of us started a Zotero group for collecting
>     research papers about Wikipedia.  It's intended to serve a purpose
>     similar to that of the "Wikipedia in academic studies" page[1], but in
>     Zotero so that it integrates well with the research process.  Membership
>     is currently open to all, and anyone can add resources.
>

> Can you give a link?

Here it is:

http://www.zotero.org/groups/wikipedia_research

- Michael

--
Confused by odd attachments? See http://www.elehack.net/resources/gpg
window manager, n: a program for arranging multiple Emacs frames

Re: Zotero group for Wikimedia-related research

Piotr Konieczny-2
Michael Ekstrand wrote:

> Cormac Lawler wrote:
>> Thanks for this Michael,
>>
>> 2009/11/2 Michael Ekstrand <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>
>>     At WikiSym this year, some of us started a Zotero group for collecting
>>     research papers about Wikipedia.  It's intended to serve a purpose
>>     similar to that of the "Wikipedia in academic studies" page[1], but in
>>     Zotero so that it integrates well with the research process.  Membership
>>     is currently open to all, and anyone can add resources.
>>

>> Can you give a link?
>
> Here it is:
>
> http://www.zotero.org/groups/wikipedia_research

Can you explain how Zotero integrates well with the research process?
Why not focus on expanding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_in_academic_studies ?
I have not used Zotero myself; I see it is a Firefox extension
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zotero) - nifty, but it doesn't work with
my SeaMonkey (nor with Chrome, Opera, and so on). Also, the entries are
not sortable, and seem listed only by name of the article.

Personally, I am not fond of off wiki projects, as while we can be
pretty certain Wikipedia will be there in few years, who can quarantee
Zotero will not go under and disappear (somebody has to keep paying for
the zotero.org domain, for example...)?

WP:ACST is also sortable by publication name, author name, venue of
publication, year, has expandable abstracts, links - all on the main
page (and being a wiki, we can keep improving it).

Further, forking into a new database makes people chose where to
contribute. There are several other databases already (linked at the
bottom of WP:ACST); neither is complete, some are inactive.

I think we should focus on one of them, try to make it as complete as
possible, and ignore the others.

And I think WP:ACST being in a wiki format and on Wikipedia is the best
to focus on, and it seems to me that it has a better functionality than
Zotero.

Please note I am very, very appreciative of any efforts to improve our
knowledge of the current state of Wikipedia research. It is just that I
am afraid that forking into new databases is less optimal than focusing
on one of them (and if we all reach consensus that we should abandon
ACST and migrate to Zotero, fine - but let's agree on one database first).

--
Piotr Konieczny

"The problem about Wikipedia is, that it just works in reality, not in
theory."

Re: Zotero group for Wikimedia-related research

Steven Walling
While generally I'd agree with you Piotr about preferring on-wiki organization, I think it's appropriate to expand our thinking and try new forums when we're reaching out to certain groups.

While it would be great to see the Wikipedia in academic studies page grow, if Zotero is where the researchers are hanging out, so to speak, then we should meet them in their own space.

Just my two cents,

Steven Walling

Piotr Konieczny wrote:

> Michael Ekstrand wrote:
>> Cormac Lawler wrote:
>>> Thanks for this Michael,
>>>
>>> 2009/11/2 Michael Ekstrand <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>
>>>     At WikiSym this year, some of us started a Zotero group for collecting
>>>     research papers about Wikipedia.  It's intended to serve a purpose
>>>     similar to that of the "Wikipedia in academic studies" page[1], but in
>>>     Zotero so that it integrates well with the research process.  Membership
>>>     is currently open to all, and anyone can add resources.
>>>

>>> Can you give a link?
>> Here it is:
>>
>> http://www.zotero.org/groups/wikipedia_research
>
> Can you explain how Zotero integrates well with the research process?

There are two primary ways:

1. It is easy to capture citations into the Zotero database while
browsing and reading (if it knows how to capture the current page as a
citation, a icon will appear in the address bar.  Clicking that icon is
all that is needed to add an entry to the citation database.).
2. Zotero can export to BiBTeX and other formats and also supports
generating reference lists for Word, OpenOffice, etc., so it is easy to
put citations from a Zotero database into a research paper.

> Why not focus on expanding
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_in_academic_studies ?

For people managing their reference library in Zotero, it is much easier
to keep all their data there, and also easier to update a shared Zotero
collection.  It does not need to replace WP:ACST, but can complement it
(likely as a superset).

> I have not used Zotero myself; I see it is a Firefox extension
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zotero) - nifty, but it doesn't work with
> my SeaMonkey (nor with Chrome, Opera, and so on). Also, the entries are
> not sortable, and seem listed only by name of the article.

In Zotero itself, the entries are sortable by a variety of fields and
are also searchable.

- Michael

--
Michael Ekstrand <[hidden email]>
Ph.D student, Computer Science -- University of Minnesota
GroupLens Research: http://www.grouplens.org
Confused by odd attachments? See http://www.elehack.net/resources/gpg
window manager, n: a program for arranging multiple Emacs frames

Re: Zotero group for Wikimedia-related research

Han-Teng Liao (OII)
Dear all,

   With my limited experience both in Zotero and Wiki, two serves, I
reckon, different functions.

   The list of Wikipedia:Wikipedia_in_academic_studies is useful to
announce and showcase Wikipedia related research.  It is an interesting
place where all Wikipedia-related research are aggregated.

   The potential use of Zotero group, depending on the way people can
organise it, may be more expansive.  It could include work not related
to Wikipedia.  For example, if some contributor think some text provides
some insight into understanding Wikipedia, then s/he as a collaborative
researcher can add the text into the Zotero space, preferably with
enough tags, notes, etc. to explain the connection and motivation to
include that item.

    Thus, the goal of Zotero group should be about sharing connections
between texts, both inside Wikipedia related research and between
in-and-out.  If the Zotero is not used to provide extra working space
for researchers to share review, comments, discussion, tags, etc., I do
not find an urgent need to build and participate one.

     Still, as a user of Zotero, I have to say it is quiet flexible.  It
does not hurt if one tries to organise the Wikipedia related research
and then export them immediately via a Wiki-ready template (built
inside).  It is also useful for researcher to compile a subset of list
to be helpful (say, any research that involves the term "collaboration",
etc.).   Therefore, I can foresee the benefits using Zotero, but I also
agree that the list of Wikipedia:Wikipedia_in_academic_studies as a
place to show case should be maintained at all time.  Whether which one
is master list and which one is slave list depends on the need for
research community.

    The above is just my own personal experience and suggestion. UAYOR  ;-)

Best regards,
hanteng