a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

Achal Prabhala-2
An interesting thing happened today. I started receiving frantic calls
this morning from an officer at the National Gallery of Modern Art in
Bangalore, who shall go unnamed. She had got my number from a colleague,
who I met in the course of a GLAM meeting we organised earlier in the
year. This officer was trying to claim exemption from lifetime road tax
on her newly purchased car. (All central government employees are exempt
from this road tax). The Regional Transport Authority office she went to
refused to give her this exemption, on the grounds that the NGMA
Bangalore was not listed as a central government office or agency on
Wikipedia, either here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_agencies#Ministry_of_Culture
or here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Culture_%28India%29

(Additionally, NGMA Delhi and Mumbai were also not listed as
agencies/offices of the Ministry of Culture).

Now that the problem has been solved, after about 30 seconds of editing,
her bona fides as a central government employee will hold good for the
regional government department she is trying to convince, and she will
get the exemption she is entitled to.

It's funny how the world works...

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

David Richfield
Wow, if all it takes to get exemption from road tax is a quick edit, I
can guess there will soon be a number of highly improbable government
departments.  I myself work for [[The_Ministry_of_Silly_Walks]]

--
David Richfield
e^(πi)+1=0

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

Thomas Morton

> I myself work for [[The_Ministry_of_Silly_Walks]]

David, you win ONE INTERNETS

:)

Tom

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
I'm glad I finally found you.  I have a silly walk, and I'd like to apply
for a government grant to help me develop it.

Newyorkbrad

2011/8/24 Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]>:
> I'm glad I finally found you.  I have a silly walk, and I'd like to apply
> for a government grant to help me develop it.
>
> Newyorkbrad

OK, first step: post a video of your walk to Commons under a free license.

--
David Richfield
e^(πi)+1=0

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
I did, but it was deleted.  The deletion summary was "that's not *particularly
*silly...."

Newyorkbrad

2011/8/24 David Richfield <[hidden email]>

> 2011/8/24 Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]>:
> > I'm glad I finally found you.  I have a silly walk, and I'd like to apply
> > for a government grant to help me develop it.
> >
> > Newyorkbrad
>
> OK, first step: post a video of your walk to Commons under a free license.
>
> --
> David Richfield
> e^(πi)+1=0

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

Chris Keating-2
Just occasionally this Python sketch feels very relevant to Wikipedia;

M:   Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please.
R:    Certainly sir. Have you been here before?
M:   No, I haven't, this is my first time.
R:     I see. Well, do you want to have just one argument, or were you
thinking of taking a course?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Argument_Sketch

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

Kirill Lokshin
Stop this thread at once!  It's gotten entirely too silly!

Kirill

2011/8/24 Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]>

> I did, but it was deleted.  The deletion summary was "that's not
> *particularly
> *silly...."
>
> Newyorkbrad
>
> 2011/8/24 David Richfield <[hidden email]>
>
> > 2011/8/24 Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]>:
> > > I'm glad I finally found you.  I have a silly walk, and I'd like to
> apply
> > > for a government grant to help me develop it.
> > >
> > > Newyorkbrad
> >
> > OK, first step: post a video of your walk to Commons under a free
> license.
> >
> > --
> > David Richfield
> > e^(πi)+1=0

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

Fae-6
Agreed, this thread is definitely deceased ... following a prolonged squawk.

Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

Thomas Morton
No way, it's just resting!

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

Liam Wyatt
Bring out your dead threads...

It's not dead yet!!

Sent from my phone.
Wittylama.com/blog

On 24/08/2011, at 13:51, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No way, it's just resting!

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

theo10011
Why is everyone trying to kill the thread?

Also, Cool story brah.

Save the thread!

Theo

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:39 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bring out your dead threads...
>
> It's not dead yet!!
>
> Sent from my phone.
> Wittylama.com/blog
>
> On 24/08/2011, at 13:51, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > No way, it's just resting!

Re: a funny story about wikipedia's strange power

Delphine Ménard
2011/8/24 Kirill Lokshin <[hidden email]>:
> Stop this thread at once!  It's gotten entirely too silly!

Maybe, but it does not walk. So that bars it from any kind of claim on
tax return from the [[Ministry of Silly Walks]].

Delphine

--
@notafish