about Wikipedia Day - a proposal

Michael Bimmler
Hello,
as our Wikipedia Day will be in less than 3 months and as the
foundation of Wikimedia CH might be a bit delayed still (ChapCom +
board -> it might still pass some time until a definitive vote), I
think we should definitely start the planning now.
However I think, that we cannot do all the planning only on this
mailinglist. Why?
1. Not everybody who might be interested in Wikipedia Day is also
interested in Wikimedia CH and not everybody here on this ml is
interested in organizing the Wikipedia Day.
2. If we start thinking about sponsors, public archiving of that is
maybe not so good: Imagine the following think (okay, you really have
to imagine...): Somebody proposes on this list "Let's ask Company XY
to sponsor the day [because I know somebody there/ because they have
sponsored similar events etc.]. Now somebody posts a reply "No, please
not company XY, they are bad/they have done this and this which was
bad/there CEO is a nasty guy etc.". Now if they find this in the
archive (and as we saw in two cases, people [and probably also
companies] do google for themselves and find them here), we can forget
them as partners. Or a more realistic scenario: They simply won't like
negotiations being archived in public.
3. We don't have a lot of time. If every tiny bit and decision will
first be discussed here for weeks, we will not come through until next
year...
Therefore my proposal:
We could create some teams [which could later be task groups =
Arbeitsgruppen of Wikimedia CH] that deal with particular things and
have a few members (say, 5 or so) and work via private email (you can
send a mail to 5 people...). When they have reached a decision/solved
a problem, they can still report to mailinglist at the end.
Proposed teams: (just jotted down, feel free to add and change):

==Core team== (or: coordination team/lead team/whatever)
This would be the kind of organizing committee as known. They have the
overview over the whole situation, are the ones who'd also finally
sign contracts if necessary with partners, look that the budget is not
exceeded, and so on.

==PR and Media team==
quite an important team:
a) contact to Media, sending invitations to press etc., making press
releases, etc.
b) organising the advertising for the Wikipedia Day (in on-and offline
agendas, newspapers, maybe create flyers and leaflets etc.
c) looking for some kind of Internet site, if possible and time is
there, either we start with www.wikimedia.ch already or we'd use
www.wikipediaday.ch or whatever.

==Technical team==
they do the technical stuff: If we have an internet website/a section
on wikimedia.ch, they do the technical bits around it, i.e. put the
things, PR and Media team wrote on the internet etc.
further, they look, that everything is fine technically at the day
itself, so they have to make sure, that beamers and pcs at ETH are
working and they would help with the technical stuff at the event
itself

==Location team==
They are responsible for the location itself (connections to technical
team), i.e. they decide whether we should have food/catering/snaks
there, they look, that something to drink is available, they make
sure, that we have really an information desk then, that we have a
place, where speakers could prepare themselves, they look that the
chairs etc. are organised nicely and so on

==Partners team==
We have not really discussed this yet, but I think, we might still
consider finding some sponsors (could be IT companies, but also, if
you like better, governmental support or other
foundations/associations/"Stiftungen" that would support us.) Because
remember, if we want to have some nice flyers/leaflets and so on, and
if we want catering, we might reach a point, where we'd quite like
some money... BTW: I recently read at Chapters FAQ on Metawiki that
Wikimedia Foundation on request also sometimes provides chapters with
some "start-up budget", so they could also look at this with Delphine
etc.
And, if we decide to go to a company and ask for money, this team
would do the negotiations.

==Maybe Budget team==
If we really get a lot of money (hm...), there might be a need for a
finance and budget team. But that's not so sure yet..

I've also thrown this proposal at
http://ch.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events/Wikipedia_Day_2006/Teams

Now, please comment. You can deny the need for every team listed
above, but I think you can't deny, that we need to get active now
somehow, and that we cannot sit here until in some weeks or months
Wikimedia CH will be formally created, because remember, even if we
have final placet of Board, we still need to find a date for a liitle
formal founding assembly etc., that will take time!

Michael
--
Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: about Wikipedia Day - a proposal

Robin Schwab
Dear all

Excuse my long absence. I there were quite some emails to catch up with.
:-) My absence doesn't mean at all that I lost interest in helping
organizing Wikipedia Day it's more the lack of time due to a time
consuming job. Therefore I definitly withdraw my candidature for
president and would in

> [...]
> some "start-up budget", so they could also look at this with Delphine
> etc.
> And, if we decide to go to a company and ask for money, this team
> would do the negotiations.
>
> ==Maybe Budget team==
> If we really get a lot of money (hm...), there might be a need for a
> finance and budget team. But that's not so sure yet..
>
> I've also thrown this proposal at
> http://ch.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events/Wikipedia_Day_2006/Teams
>
> Now, please comment. You can deny the need for every team listed
> above, but I think you can't deny, that we need to get active now
> somehow, and that we cannot sit here until in some weeks or months
> Wikimedia CH will be formally created, because remember, even if we
> have final placet of Board, we still need to find a date for a liitle
> formal founding assembly etc., that will take time!

rupert.thurner-2
a good proposal, tx, but i think we definitely would need somebody for
the budget/finances/account, just one or two people :)

i volonteer to take part in the sponsoring team, or in the core team
for sponsoring, if your team gets too small.

rupert.

On 3/27/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> some "start-up budget", so they could also look at this with Delphine
> etc.
> And, if we decide to go to a company and ask for money, this team
> would do the negotiations.
>
> ==Maybe Budget team==
> If we really get a lot of money (hm...), there might be a need for a
> finance and budget team. But that's not so sure yet..
>
> I've also thrown this proposal at
> http://ch.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events/Wikipedia_Day_2006/Teams
>
> Now, please comment. You can deny the need for every team listed
> above, but I think you can't deny, that we need to get active now
> somehow, and that we cannot sit here until in some weeks or months
> Wikimedia CH will be formally created, because remember, even if we
> have final placet of Board, we still need to find a date for a liitle
> formal founding assembly etc., that will take time!

Re: about Wikipedia Day - an answer

Robin Schwab
Dear all

Excuse my long absence and the mails that were sent before they were
finished and checked. I there were quite some emails to catch up with.
:-) My absence doesn't mean at all that I lost interest in helping
organizing Wikipedia Day it's more the lack of time due to a time
consuming job. Therefore I definitly withdraw my candidature for
president and would in spite support a strong secretary like Michael who
could also act as a vice president if our real president is absent. He
does an excellent job btw.

By the way: Prof. Bertrand Meyer is willing to come on Wikipedia Day. He
proposed a speech about *Wikis and Wikipedia as tools for the scientific
community? Rationale, Risks and Reactions* I told him this was good for
us. There might be a little risk that he cannot come but he estimated
this to be like a 10% chance.

> as our Wikipedia Day will be in less than 3 months and as the
> foundation of Wikimedia CH might be a bit delayed still (ChapCom +
> board -> it might still pass some time until a definitive vote), I
> think we should definitely start the planning now.

This is perfectly true.

> However I think, that we cannot do all the planning only on this
> mailinglist. Why?

ack.

> Therefore my proposal:
> We could create some teams [which could later be task groups =
> Arbeitsgruppen of Wikimedia CH] that deal with particular things and
> have a few members (say, 5 or so) and work via private email (you can
> send a mail to 5 people...). When they have reached a decision/solved
> a problem, they can still report to mailinglist at the end.
> Proposed teams: (just jotted down, feel free to add and change):

> ==Core team== (or: coordination team/lead team/whatever)
> This would be the kind of organizing committee as known. They have the
> overview over the whole situation, are the ones who'd also finally
> sign contracts if necessary with partners, look that the budget is not
> exceeded, and so on.

Of course I'm willing to help here. I think this team should sit
together rather soon (next 14 days) and collect more ideas about what
we're gonna show and how we advertize for it, calculate a budget so that
the partners team knows what to do. In addition this would support a
team building process. My place would be available for this meeting.

> ==PR and Media team==
> quite an important team:
> a) contact to Media, sending invitations to press etc., making press
> releases, etc.
> b) organising the advertising for the Wikipedia Day (in on-and offline
> agendas, newspapers, maybe create flyers and leaflets etc.

These two points take most man-hours. We could need every hand to
distribute flyers in as many places (schools, universities, etc.) as
possible.

On the other hand it would be good to have articles in many (student)
newspapers. I will catch an eye on VSETH newspaper.

> c) looking for some kind of Internet site, if possible and time is
> there, either we start with www.wikimedia.ch already or we'd use
> www.wikipediaday.ch or whatever.

I think this could be done by the technical team.

> ==Location team==
>(...)
> chairs etc. are organised nicely and so on

I will deal with ETH Hausdienst about the opening of the location.
Chairs and normal tables are around. We just have to put them where we
need them. Food would be a different topic. We could also use "Wikipedia
Bratwürste" as a marketing idea. (I did not check the legal aspects of
this proposal yet.)

> ==Partners team==
> We have not really discussed this yet, but I think, we might still
> consider finding some sponsors (could be IT companies, but also, if
> you like better, governmental support or other
> foundations/associations/"Stiftungen" that would support us.) Because
> remember, if we want to have some nice flyers/leaflets and so on, and
> if we want catering, we might reach a point, where we'd quite like
> some money... BTW: I recently read at Chapters FAQ on Metawiki that
> Wikimedia Foundation on request also sometimes provides chapters with
> some "start-up budget", so they could also look at this with Delphine
> etc.

It would be nice if our treasury man/woman would join this team. As we
are an organisation that among other things is supposed to raise money
for the foundation it could be a wrong sign to accept some start-up
budget. We should be able to collect the first 1000-2000 Francs by
ourselves and make a first symbolic donation to the foundation. Not vice
versa :-) What do you think?

Best regards

Robin

Re: about Wikipedia Day - a proposal

Ilario Valdelli
Hello,
this decision is a very good decision. It's important to have a group
and sub-groups who take responsability upon some problems and becomes
owner of this problem (if the time is short it's the best solution),
but in any case the mailing list should have feedbacks "frequently" to
create the environment and the "waiting time".

It's important to have a community, a group and not only "a name" and
it's important that someone can have a part (also a small part) in
this organization.

It's clear that at start the groups are smaller, but when some owners
has taken decision and the organization becomes more and more
definite, they can require some help and some volunteers.

It's normal to have an "official" communication (through ML) and an
"unofficial" communication (through private mail), but it's also
important (a lot) to share informations and knowledges.

Greetings

Ilario^_^

On 3/28/06, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> this decision is a very good decision. It's important to have a group
> and sub-groups who take responsability upon some problems and becomes
> owner of this problem (if the time is short it's the best solution),
> but in any case the mailing list should have feedbacks "frequently" to
> create the environment and the "waiting time".
>
> It's important to have a community, a group and not only "a name" and
> it's important that someone can have a part (also a small part) in
> this organization.
>
> It's clear that at start the groups are smaller, but when some owners
> has taken decision and the organization becomes more and more
> definite, they can require some help and some volunteers.
>
> It's normal to have an "official" communication (through ML) and an
> "unofficial" communication (through private mail), but it's also
> important (a lot) to share informations and knowledges.

Absolutely. I very much join you in saying that the wiki-like
transparency needs to be one of the most important policies of
Wikimedia CH. I intended to say, that these proposed teams should give
as much as possible updates to the ML, but rather in the style of "We,
the Media Committee have designed and texted this flyer, please
comment on it", and rather not that everybody comments on every tiny
bit himself here.
> Greetings

Regards
Michael

On 3/27/06, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all
>

> By the way: Prof. Bertrand Meyer is willing to come on Wikipedia Day. He
> proposed a speech about *Wikis and Wikipedia as tools for the scientific
> community? Rationale, Risks and Reactions* I told him this was good for
> us. There might be a little risk that he cannot come but he estimated
> this to be like a 10% chance.
This is great news! I hope we can persuade Anthere to join us as well!
Does anybody have any ideas whom to invite as well? (Academic or
non-academic, from open-source "business" (doesn't fit together too
well...) or something "knowledge-related" etc.)

> Of course I'm willing to help here. I think this team should sit
> together rather soon (next 14 days)
Yes, at least in IRC, if we can't make something "real".
>and collect more ideas about what
> we're gonna show and how we advertize for it, calculate a budget so that
> the partners team knows what to do. In addition this would support a
> team building process. My place would be available for this meeting.

Okay, now we'd have to form the teams first :)

> > ==PR and Media team==
> > quite an important team:
> > a) contact to Media, sending invitations to press etc., making press
> > releases, etc.
> > b) organising the advertising for the Wikipedia Day (in on-and offline
> > agendas, newspapers, maybe create flyers and leaflets etc.
>
> These two points take most man-hours. We could need every hand to
> distribute flyers in as many places (schools, universities, etc.) as
> possible.

Right. Maybe also in book stores (Orell Füssli) and so on.
> On the other hand it would be good to have articles in many (student)
> newspapers. I will catch an eye on VSETH newspaper.

Right as well.
> > c) looking for some kind of Internet site, if possible and time is
> > there, either we start with www.wikimedia.ch already or we'd use
> > www.wikipediaday.ch or whatever.
>
> I think this could be done by the technical team.

Yes, but somebody has to provide the content of the pages, and maybe
there are people who are besser in texting and others that are better
in designing internet sites.
> > ==Location team==
> >(...)
> > chairs etc. are organised nicely and so on
>
> I will deal with ETH Hausdienst about the opening of the location.
> Chairs and normal tables are around. We just have to put them where we
> need them. Food would be a different topic. We could also use "Wikipedia
> Bratwürste" as a marketing idea. (I did not check the legal aspects of
> this proposal yet.)
Hm, Wikipedia is registered trademark, we'd need to doublecheck with
Soufron or Brad Patrick (Wikimedia btw as well, but I mean, they won't
sue us anyway...)

> > ==Partners team==
> > We have not really discussed this yet, but I think, we might still
> > consider finding some sponsors (could be IT companies, but also, if
> > you like better, governmental support or other
> > foundations/associations/"Stiftungen" that would support us.) Because
> > remember, if we want to have some nice flyers/leaflets and so on, and
> > if we want catering, we might reach a point, where we'd quite like
> > some money... BTW: I recently read at Chapters FAQ on Metawiki that
> > Wikimedia Foundation on request also sometimes provides chapters with
> > some "start-up budget", so they could also look at this with Delphine
> > etc.
>
> It would be nice if our treasury man/woman would join this team. As we
> are an organisation that among other things is supposed to raise money
> for the foundation it could be a wrong sign to accept some start-up
> budget. We should be able to collect the first 1000-2000 Francs by
> ourselves and make a first symbolic donation to the foundation. Not vice
> versa :-) What do you think?
Hm, cf. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapter_co-ordinator#Procedure
of delegation I think, we could accept some help :) (And we could pay
it back by fundraising as much as we can)
Regards
Michael

> Best regards
>
> Robin

Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: about Wikipedia Day - an answer

Patrick Kenel

I'm willing to work in the PR+ media team. Who else is? I'm a little concerned that we're running out of time. We've only got around two months left for preparations before our WP Day -- or have I unconsciously missed some of the preparations..? Please update me...

Greets, Patrick

On 4/10/06, Patrick Kenel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm willing to work in the PR+ media team. Who else is? I'm a little
> concerned that we're running out of time.
I would appreciate it, if you could add yourself at the team you want
to join here: http://ch.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events/Wikipedia_Day_2006/Teams
This request includes everybody on this mailinglist!

>We've only got around two months
> left for preparations before our WP Day -- or have I unconsciously missed
> some of the preparations..? Please update me...
No, you haven't missed anything. We have somehow forgot WP Day as we
were concentrated on foundation issues. But I agree, we need now to
get active ***very soon***

> Greets, Patrick

Regards and thanks for you help
Michael

> >Okay, now we'd have to form the teams first :)

Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: about Wikipedia Day - an answer

Robin Schwab
>> I'm willing to work in the PR+ media team. Who else is? I'm a little
>> concerned that we're running out of time.

This is true. I appreciate your engagement very much. We must fix the
precise content of our Wikipedia day to print flyers and "Plakate". A
friend of mine could create a flyer and print them if we need special
paper and/or colours. Else www.flyerline.ch offers quite cheap flyers.

I would suggest to try to distribute flyers in swiss
"Kantonsschulen/Gymnasien" , universities, both ETHs and
Fachhochschulen/höhere Fachschulen.

Besides something like a "Pressemappe" would engage press people to
write about us.

More ideas appreciated...

Regards

Robin

Re: about Wikipedia Day - an answer

Jürg Studer
Hello
Es fällt mir zu schwer, in Englisch zu kommunizieren. Ich verfolge
das Geschehen und ich möchte gerne meinen Teil an die Organisation
beitragen. Dort, wo keine englische Sprache verlangt wird, kann man
mich einsetzen, sei es zum Schreiben und Gestalten von deutschen
Zetteln, sei es beim Organisieren usw.
Gruss.
Jürg

PS: Ich bin über Ostern und vom 22.4. bis 1.5. nicht erreichbar.

Re: about Wikipedia Day - an answer

Ilario Valdelli
Hello to all,
It could be a good idea to have this materials in PDF format. The PRs
in areas outside Zurich could download the PDFs and print them to
stick up where it's possible.

It's important to have similar material in similar graphic format
(i.e. wikipedia logo combined with other elements) also for media
press, possible in two/three languages.

I added me to PR team but "only" like support, to contact some media
of Tessin (if no-one has already contacted them) and Universities.

I suggest to the PR team to contact already media press in this moment
to inform them that we are organizing this meeting. If we have a
download area and web pages with more informations, this could be an
advantage. The feedback of medias, in this moment, could be important
to foresee the adhesions.

Please, contact me for the areas where you think there is a need.

Ilario

On 4/11/06, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I'm willing to work in the PR+ media team. Who else is? I'm a little
> >> concerned that we're running out of time.
>
> This is true. I appreciate your engagement very much. We must fix the
> precise content of our Wikipedia day to print flyers and "Plakate". A
> friend of mine could create a flyer and print them if we need special
> paper and/or colours. Else www.flyerline.ch offers quite cheap flyers.
>
> I would suggest to try to distribute flyers in swiss
> "Kantonsschulen/Gymnasien" , universities, both ETHs and
> Fachhochschulen/höhere Fachschulen.
>
> Besides something like a "Pressemappe" would engage press people to
> write about us.
>
> More ideas appreciated...
>
> Regards
>

> Robin

Re: about Wikipedia Day - an answer

Patrick Kenel

Hi all,

I've found a useful example for a media invitation. It features the program of the event, speakers with their bio, graphics etc. By coincidence, this social science event also took place at the ETH last month. It's just to show you that the logo of this famous institution, that will be our location, is also featuring on this invitation and therefore could transfer its image to the event. As Robin already mentioned: Logos, timetables and speakers are essential and should be at hand before the PR campaign is ready to be launched. And that isn't yet the case.

Concerning the "Pressemappe": Along with this invitation, we could also produce a "Pressespiegel" (review of recent articles in the Swiss press about WP), a presentation of the Wikimedia Foundation in general and plans for our Swiss chapter in particular and a good communiqué with the aims and background of the WP Day where journalists find (e-mail-)addresses and phone numbers.

These are just a few things I wanted to tell you about a possible "PR campaign" ahead of our WP Day. I've already attended a PR course at university where we were especially taught that concept is the basics of successful PR. I'm open for other suggestions concerning this.

Patrick

religioes_unmenschlich.pdf (55K) Download Attachment

Re: about Wikipedia Day - an answer

Michael Bimmler
On 4/11/06, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I'm willing to work in the PR+ media team. Who else is? I'm a little
> >> concerned that we're running out of time.
>
> This is true. I appreciate your engagement very much. We must fix the
> precise content of our Wikipedia day to print flyers and "Plakate". A
> friend of mine could create a flyer and print them if we need special
> paper and/or colours. Else www.flyerline.ch offers quite cheap flyers.

That's nice!
> I would suggest to try to distribute flyers in swiss
> "Kantonsschulen/Gymnasien" , universities, both ETHs and
> Fachhochschulen/höhere Fachschulen.

Yes, this is a good idea. At least from the gymnasium I'm attending I
can say that nearly everybody knows and likes Wikipedia (e.g. for
presentations it's highly popular) and there would be certainly people
coming.
I think, we could also give some flyers to bookshops, student shops
(particularly the famous Stula in Zurich) etc.
> Besides something like a "Pressemappe" would engage press people to
> write about us.

Yes, definitely.
> More ideas appreciated...
>
> Regards

Michael

On 4/11/06, Jürg Studer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello
> Es fällt mir zu schwer, in Englisch zu kommunizieren. Ich verfolge
> das Geschehen und ich möchte gerne meinen Teil an die Organisation
> beitragen. Dort, wo keine englische Sprache verlangt wird, kann man
> mich einsetzen, sei es zum Schreiben und Gestalten von deutschen
> Zetteln, sei es beim Organisieren usw.
Danke! Um es hier noch einmal zu verdeutlichen: Wir können wirklich
JEDE Hilfe gebrauchen, insbesondere eben auch von Leuten, die nicht
fliessend Englisch sprechen.
Gruss
Michael

On 4/12/06, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello to all,
> It could be a good idea to have this materials in PDF format. The PRs
> in areas outside Zurich could download the PDFs and print them to
> stick up where it's possible.

Definitely!
> It's important to have similar material in similar graphic format
> (i.e. wikipedia logo combined with other elements) also for media
> press, possible in two/three languages.

Right. BTW: We do have a Wikimedia CH-logo:
http://ch.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:WikimediaCH-logo.png
However we have no "common typography/header/footer etc.", so there
some design work is awaiting us. For Wikipedia Day I propose to use
both logos, Wikimedia and Wikipedia (if we get "clearance" by WMF and
if we have the trademark agreement signed during Foundation)
> I added me to PR team but "only" like support, to contact some media
> of Tessin (if no-one has already contacted them) and Universities.

Thanks!
> I suggest to the PR team to contact already media press in this moment
> to inform them that we are organizing this meeting. If we have a
> download area and web pages with more informations, this could be an
> advantage. The feedback of medias, in this moment, could be important
> to foresee the adhesions.
Yes I think so too. We might want to create for the moment some press
material at ch.wikimedia.org(/wiki/Press) (like "What is this all
about" "Who is behind this" "What is Wikipedia Day" "How are we
related to Wikipedia" and so on), as soon as our postal adress is
established (I filled out the form 1 1/2 weeks ago, I was told to wait
one week, so I might email them once before Easter), Manuel could also
(re-)register and set up wikimedia.ch as official homepage, as
indicated earlier, we'd like to move our content away from Wikimedia
Foundations server (following Wikimedia DE, due to legal and indepence
and accountability).

> Please, contact me for the areas where you think there is a need.

Michael

> > This is true. I appreciate your engagement very much. We must fix the
> > precise content of our Wikipedia day to print flyers and "Plakate". A
> > friend of mine could create a flyer and print them if we need special
> > paper and/or colours. Else www.flyerline.ch offers quite cheap flyers.
> >
> > I would suggest to try to distribute flyers in swiss
> > "Kantonsschulen/Gymnasien" , universities, both ETHs and
> > Fachhochschulen/höhere Fachschulen.
> >
> > Besides something like a "Pressemappe" would engage press people to
> > write about us.
> >
> > More ideas appreciated...
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > Robin