about email configuration

Lorena W. Baruch Armenta
Hello!

I am new in this list. I am learning how to install and use a wiki, but I
have this error:

Error al enviar correo: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port
25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()

I made the changes in php ini as you can see:

[mail function]

; For Win32 only.

; http://php.net/smtp

SMTP = localhost

; http://php.net/smtp-port

smtp_port = 25

but still don't work. I have deactivated the window's firewall but still
don't work.

What is the problem?

Thank you very much in advance

Best Regards

Lorena Baruch

Re: about email configuration

WJhonson
I have no solution for you, but I gotta love that Spanglish:

<<Error al enviar correo: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port
5, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()>>

I guess the guys in the head office didn't get that memo to translate all error messages.
So after a few years in I.T. every foreign national can read English.
"Why are you trying to get the computer to understand you?  Understand the computer!"

Re: about email configuration

Jeremy Baron
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Wjhonson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have no solution for you, but I gotta love that Spanglish:
>
> <<Error al enviar correo: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port
> 5, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()>>
>
> I guess the guys in the head office didn't get that memo to translate all error messages.
> So after a few years in I.T. every foreign national can read English.
> "Why are you trying to get the computer to understand you?  Understand the computer!"

Or one msg is from MediaWiki in spanish and wrapped inside it is a
message from php? just a guess...

Re: about email configuration

Jeremy Baron
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Lorena W. Baruch Armenta
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am new in this list. I am learning how to install and use a wiki, but I
> have this error:
>
> Error al enviar correo: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port
> 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()

This probably means you don't have an SMTP server running on the same
host as your webserver.

See also https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgSMTP

-Jeremy

Re: about email configuration

Alex Monk
You're correct. The Spanish part is MediaWiki's "mailerror" message, the rest is generated by PHP, and I don't think that supports non-English error messages.

On 06/06/12 19:35, Jeremy Baron wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Wjhonson<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I have no solution for you, but I gotta love that Spanglish:
>>
>> <<Error al enviar correo: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port
>> 5, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()>>
>>
>> I guess the guys in the head office didn't get that memo to translate all error messages.
>> So after a few years in I.T. every foreign national can read English.
>> "Why are you trying to get the computer to understand you?  Understand the computer!"
> Or one msg is from MediaWiki in spanish and wrapped inside it is a
> message from php? just a guess...

Re: about email configuration

Lorena W. Baruch Armenta
Thanks a lot Jeremy!
I had been last five days looking for this specific part on wiki's manual
with no success. That's why decided to subscribe and send the question.
I will study the smtp configuration and hope tell soon the answer :)
About spanglish message... I don't think will got more deep in that point. I
am not so good in English neither, so, hope it doesn't matter. Hehee.

Thank you very much, again.
Best regards

Lorena Baruch

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am new in this list. I am learning how to install and use a wiki, but I
> have this error:
>
> Error al enviar correo: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost"
port
> 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()

This probably means you don't have an SMTP server running on the same
host as your webserver.

See also https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgSMTP

-Jeremy

Re: about email configuration

WJhonson
Your English is at least as good as Arianna Huffington's

 had been last five days looking for this specific part on wiki's manual
ith no success. That's why decided to subscribe and send the question.
 will study the smtp configuration and hope tell soon the answer :)
bout spanglish message... I don't think will got more deep in that point. I
m not so good in English neither, so, hope it doesn't matter. Hehee.
Thank you very much, again.
est regards
Lorena Baruch
mailto:[hidden email]] En nombre de Jeremy Baron
nviado el: Miércoles, 06 de Junio de 2012 01:37 p.m.
ara: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
sunto: Re: [Mediawiki-l] about email configuration
[hidden email]> wrote:
 I am new in this list. I am learning how to install and use a wiki, but I
 have this error:

 Error al enviar correo: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost"
ort
 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()
This probably means you don't have an SMTP server running on the same
ost as your webserver.
See also https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgSMTP
-Jeremy

Re: about email configuration

Lorena W. Baruch Armenta
Hi there, still have problemas with my email configuration.

No, sorry, now I have problems with PEAR installation.

I had configured like this:

IN PHP.INI

[mail function]

SMTP = localhost

smtp_port = 25

mail.add_x_header = On

mail.log = E:\MediaWiki

I think this config it doesn't matter if I configure

LOCALSETTINGS.PHP

$wgEnableEmail      = true;

$wgEnableUserEmail  = true; # UPO

$wgEmergencyContact = "apache@172.17.1.44:8081";

$wgPasswordSender   = "[hidden email]";

$wgPasswordSenderName   = "Wiki Administrator";

$wgEnotifUserTalk      = true; # UPO

$wgEnotifWatchlist     = true; # UPO

$wgEmailAuthentication = true;

$wgSMTP = array(

 'host'     => "ssl://smtp.gmail.com", //could also be an IP address

 'IDHost'   => "gmail.com",

 'port'     => 465,

 'auth'     => true,

 'username' => "myusergmail",

 'password' => "mypwd"

);

BUT WIKI ASKED FOR "PEAR PACKAGE"

So I downloaded and installed it  on php directory. I have this in PHP.INI:

;***** Added by go-pear

include_path=".;C:/Archivos de programa/PHP/pear/"

;*****

And also probe that it Works in web browser.

include_path

.;C:/Archivos de programa/PHP/pear/

.;C:/Archivos de programa/PHP/pear/

Nevertheless I still having the message:

Error interno

PEAR mail package is not installed

Backtrace:

#0 C:\Archivos de programa\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\wikipcs\includes\User.php(3254):
UserMailer::send(Object(MailAddress), Object(MailAddress), 'Detalles de la
...', 'El usuario Lwba...', NULL)
#1 C:\Archivos de programa\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\wikipcs\includes\specials\SpecialPasswordReset.p
hp(220): User->sendMail('Detalles de la ...', 'El usuario Lwba...')
#2 [internal function]: SpecialPasswordReset->onSubmit(Array)

…. Etc.. etc..

I have googled the message about PEAR but still don’t understand and there
is a lot of people that seems to have same problem but no answer.

Hope you have some directions to give me or please tell me if I need a “for
dummies” book because really is annoying to fight with this kind of
problems.

=) thank you very much and sorry my emotional expressions.

Best regards

Lorena Baruch

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am new in this list. I am learning how to install and use a wiki, but I

> have this error:

> Error al enviar correo: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost"
port

> 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()

This probably means you don't have an SMTP server running on the same

host as your webserver.

See also https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgSMTP

-Jeremy

Re: about email configuration

Lorena W. Baruch Armenta
Hi again!
I have solved the problema.
I missed out to install the MAIL and NET SMTP packages from PEAR:
JUST RUN:
...>pear install Mail
and
...>pear install Net_SMTP

And.. voila!, that's all!

I also concluded I really need a "for dummies" book. Hehehe

Thanks anyway

Best regards!

Lorena