academic inquiry msg

Vedant Lath
I received the following email today:

----

Hello:

I am writing to you to ask you about your objectives as a Wikipedia
contributor.

My name is Mai Pattarawan.  I am an academic at the City University of Hong
Kong, researching Wikipedia.  Specifically I am interested in the objectives
and motivation of Wikipedians who take the time and make the effort to
contribute.

I would like to ask you just three questions and hope you will be able to
answer:

1. Why do you contribute to Wikipedia? Would you say it is a personal
matter, where you enjoy the opportunity to reveal your knowledge on a
subject, or a collaborative goal where you enjoy sharing knowledge with
others?

2. In what ways do you find your contributing to Wikipedia beneficial? (E.g.,
satisfaction of building the world's largest encyclopedia). Would you say
these benefits (personal or for the entire community) are felt right away,
or do you expect the benefits to arise as time goes by?

3. Do you expect that your contributing more to Wikipedia will lead to
others to contribute more?

Please just type your answers right behind the questions, or below, if you
like.

I am sending this email only to about 100 Wikipedians, so I very much hope
you will answer me and allow me to gain some insights.  I found you via
Google, by searching for Wikipedians who post their email address in
Wikipedia.

If you like to receive feedback about the results of this inquiry, please
let me know and I will email it to you.  Of course, yours and everyone
else's personal information will not be disclosed.  I will only share
non-personalized and summary information.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Pattarawan (Mai) Prasarnphanich, PhD

Assistant Professor, Department of Information Systems
City University of Hong Kong

----

The IP address of the sender
(219.79.22.41<http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=219.79.22.41>)
is from Hong Kong, and AFAIK, China blocks wikimedia projects. So, how can a
person from Hong Kong possibly access wikipedia extensively so as to analyse
the contributions and nature of wikipedia? and moreover, he says that he is
sending it to only 100 wikipedians. This can make the result very different
from the actual fact.

should i participate in the enquiry?

i am also posting the msg. header as it may interest you:

From: "Pattarawan (Mai) Prasarnphanich" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Subject: Academic inquiry on your objectives and motivation as Wikipedian
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:12:09 +0800

Vedant Lath
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Vedant_lath
http://vedant.lath.in/icse/User:Vedanta

Re: academic inquiry msg

Wikipedia Romania (Ronline)
As far as I know, the internet is not censored in the Hong Kong SAR, only in
mainland China.

Ronline

2006/3/19, Vedant Lath <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>

> Thank you very much.
>

> Regards,
>

> Pattarawan (Mai) Prasarnphanich, PhD
>
> Assistant Professor, Department of Information Systems
> City University of Hong Kong
>
> ----
>
> The IP address of the sender
> (219.79.22.41<http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=219.79.22.41>)
> is from Hong Kong, and AFAIK, China blocks wikimedia projects. So, how can
> person from Hong Kong possibly access wikipedia extensively so as to
> analyse
> the contributions and nature of wikipedia? and moreover, he says that he
> is
> sending it to only 100 wikipedians. This can make the result very
> different
> from the actual fact.
>
> should i participate in the enquiry?
>
> i am also posting the msg. header as it may interest you:

Andre Engels
2006/3/19, Vedant Lath <[hidden email]>:

> The IP address of the sender
> (219.79.22.41<http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=219.79.22.41>)
> is from Hong Kong, and AFAIK, China blocks wikimedia projects.

Mainland China and Hong Kong are acting mostly independently in that
respect, so I think it would not be blocked in Hong Kong

> So, how can a
> person from Hong Kong possibly access wikipedia extensively so as to analyse
> the contributions and nature of wikipedia?

See above; interestingly, on another university in Hong Kong (the
University of Hong Kong) there is also research into Wikipedia, led by
Andrew Lih ([[w:en:User:Fuzheado]]).

> and moreover, he says that he is
> sending it to only 100 wikipedians. This can make the result very different
> from the actual fact.

There will always be large differences, because people who answer an
enquiry like this are not a random sample from the total population of
people having been asked.

> should i participate in the enquiry?

That should be your free choice, in my opinion.

--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: academic inquiry msg

Vedant Lath
ok. will participate when i get time.

thanks for the help.

vedant

On 3/19/06, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2006/3/19, Vedant Lath <[hidden email]>:
>
> > The IP address of the sender
> > (219.79.22.41<http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=219.79.22.41>)
> > is from Hong Kong, and AFAIK, China blocks wikimedia projects.
>
> Mainland China and Hong Kong are acting mostly independently in that
> respect, so I think it would not be blocked in Hong Kong
>
> > So, how can a
> > person from Hong Kong possibly access wikipedia extensively so as to
> analyse
> > the contributions and nature of wikipedia?
>
> See above; interestingly, on another university in Hong Kong (the
> University of Hong Kong) there is also research into Wikipedia, led by
> Andrew Lih ([[w:en:User:Fuzheado]]).
>
> > and moreover, he says that he is
> > sending it to only 100 wikipedians. This can make the result very
> different
> > from the actual fact.
>
> There will always be large differences, because people who answer an
> enquiry like this are not a random sample from the total population of
> people having been asked.
>
> > should i participate in the enquiry?
>
> That should be your free choice, in my opinion.
>

> --
> Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: academic inquiry msg

Cormac Lawler
On 3/19/06, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2006/3/19, Vedant Lath <[hidden email]>:
>
> > The IP address of the sender
> > (219.79.22.41<http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=219.79.22.41>)
> > is from Hong Kong, and AFAIK, China blocks wikimedia projects.
>
> Mainland China and Hong Kong are acting mostly independently in that
> respect, so I think it would not be blocked in Hong Kong
>
> > So, how can a
> > person from Hong Kong possibly access wikipedia extensively so as to analyse
> > the contributions and nature of wikipedia?
>
> See above; interestingly, on another university in Hong Kong (the
> University of Hong Kong) there is also research into Wikipedia, led by
> Andrew Lih ([[w:en:User:Fuzheado]]).
>
> > and moreover, he says that he is
> > sending it to only 100 wikipedians. This can make the result very different
> > from the actual fact.
>
> There will always be large differences, because people who answer an
> enquiry like this are not a random sample from the total population of
> people having been asked.
>
> > should i participate in the enquiry?
>
> That should be your free choice, in my opinion.
>

> --
> Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Andre's just said pretty much everything that I was going to - I most
definitely agree with participation in research being a voluntary
decision. As a researcher myself, I know about the problems attached
to consent, ethics, sampling, bias etc. I'm not going to comment on
how someone else conducts their research - unless they ask - that's up
to them to be conscious of. But researchers should be open to
questions from participants about their own process - you should feel
free to ask questions about how and where the information is used etc,
before you decide to say anything. Or if you don't want to say
anything, tell them why not. This itself is good feedback.

General comments: there is and has been lots of research done on
participants of Wikimedia projects - see, for example:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research . The questions you've been
asked are not unusual - I've asked more or less the same ones myself
;-). And a sample of 100 is not unusual either. There is a limitation
on conclusions drawn from *all* research - again, it is up to the
researcher to be conscious of this.

Cormac [[w,m,b:en:User:Cormaggio]]