access to journals

Kathleen McCook
In an effort to enhance access options for people who aren’t
affiliated with universities, colleges, or high schools,
not-for-profit digital library JSTOR has launched JPASS, a new program
offering individual users access to 1,500 journals from JSTOR’s
archive collection. The move follows the March 2012 launch of JSTOR’s
Register & Readprogram, which allowed independent researchers to
register for a free MyJSTOR account, and receive free, online-only
access to three full-text articles every 14 days. That service has
since attracted almost one million users including independent
scholars, writers, business people, adjunct faculty, and others, and
JSTOR plans to continue offering the service in its current form.
However, in a recent survey, many of Register & Read users expressed
interest in an individual subscription model that would offer enhanced
access, encouraging JSTOR to move ahead with JPASS.

http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2013/09/digital-libraries/jstor-launches-jpass-access-accounts-for-individual-researchers/
JSTOR Launches JPASS Access Accounts for Individual Researchers
[Library Journal]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: access to journals

Tom Morris-5
If you've gone to university, it's well worth looking to see if your university provide alumni access.

My university, the University of London, provide alumni access to the library for £220 a year, which includes an eight book borrowing limit, full JSTOR access (which doesn't have the limitation that JPASS has), Oxford DNB access and some other online resources.

Some universities also charge the even better price of nothing.

I've put up a page in project space on English Wikipedia so we can document which institutions provide access:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:JSTOR/Alumni_access

--
Tom Morris
http://tommorris.org/

On 24 September 2013 at 12:56:18, David Gerard ([hidden email]) wrote:

fyi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: access to journals

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Tom Morris, 24/09/2013 14:18:
> If you've gone to university, it's well worth looking to see if your university provide alumni access.

Speaking of which, if you find out how many FTE the university pays for
the alumni, I'd be interested in knowing (at least some departments in
my university would like to introduce such a program but negotiations
with publishers are so complex).

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: access to journals

phoebe ayers-3
In the U.S. I encourage people to check out what database subscriptions
their local public library offers -- many larger public libraries offer a
surprising number of online journals & databases that are available to
anyone who has a library card, which you can generally get for free if you
live in the library's area (and sometimes for pay if you *don't* live in a
library's area -- especially if you are nearby). Additionally, some states
offer state-wide consortia deals on databases and subscriptions, so even
small public libraries have access to a wide range of materials. Also, if
you are close to a public university of some sort, the vast majority offer
on-site access to their online resources if you are physically on campus.

We do not, to my knowledge, have a national library program like what Liam
describes, but people in other countries should check and see if they do.

Standing offer: If you email me offlist, I will help you try to figure out
what library resources you might have access to :)

best,
Phoebe

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With regards to getting access to closed journals...
> I'm now working for the National Library of Australia and we offer free, at
> home, access to JSTOR and MANY other restricted access databases to any
> Australian, if they get a free library card.
> [You can see the full list at the NLA eResources page:
> http://www.nla.gov.au
> /app/eresources/ ]
>
> Is this unique to Australia? I must admit that I didn't realise until
> recently the extent of the restricted databases that were available for
> free to library card holders in their own home. With all the discussion
> over the years on the global Wikimedia mailing lists about trying to
> special access for Wikimedians, I had just assumed it was a global issue.
> But, at least for Australians, it's largely solved... Are other country's
> major libraries offering journal access to the public for free? If not,
> perhaps rather than trying to get special access for Wikimedians directly
> from the Database companies, we should be working to get access via Library
> subscriptions?
>
> Liam / Wittylama.
>
> [p.s. yes - I realise I'm promoting a service offered by my employer,
> sorry. But I reckon it's relevant and important that people know though.
> p.p.s. If you are Australian and want a free library card sent to you - go
> here: http://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/ ]
>
> wittylama.com
> Peace, love & metadata
>

> On 24 September 2013 12:48, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It's probably worth mentioning (again) that
> > we started a brand new wikimedia mailing list about Open Access:
> >
> > If you are interested in the topic of access to scientific/academic
> > literature, you should be there.
> > Getting access to "closed" journals is definetely something that we like
> > and must pursue,
> > but changing the very system of is more important.
> > We shouldn't have this issue at all :-)
> >
> > Aubrey
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > If you've gone to university, it's well worth looking to see if your
> > > university provide alumni access.
> > >
> > > My university, the University of London, provide alumni access to the
> > > library for £220 a year, which includes an eight book borrowing limit,
> > full
> > > JSTOR access (which doesn't have the limitation that JPASS has), Oxford
> > DNB
> > > access and some other online resources.
> > >
> > > Some universities also charge the even better price of nothing.
> > >
> > > I've put up a page in project space on English Wikipedia so we can
> > > document which institutions provide access:
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:JSTOR/Alumni_access
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tom Morris
> > > http://tommorris.org/
> > >
> > > On 24 September 2013 at 12:56:18, David Gerard ([hidden email])
> [...]

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: access to journals

Matthew Roth
To echo Phoebe and Tom:

I paid $250 for a lifetime alumni card at Berkeley, not because I attended,
but because the girl I was dating at the time was an alumna (she got free
lifetime access). Seriously, access to all their libraries for $250 for
life seemed great, especially with the interlibrary loan program that
enables me to get pretty much any book I want in the entire state
university system.

Then I move to San Francisco and found the SF Public Library gives me
pretty much the same access to databases and books and all of it for $0.00.
Now I want my $250 back ;)

-Matthew

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 8:40 AM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > [p.s. yes - I realise I'm promoting a service offered by my employer,
> > sorry. But I reckon it's relevant and important that people know though.
> > p.p.s. If you are Australian and want a free library card sent to you -
> go
> > here: http://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/ ]
> >
> > wittylama.com
> > Peace, love & metadata
> >

> > On 24 September 2013 12:48, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > It's probably worth mentioning (again) that
> > > we started a brand new wikimedia mailing list about Open Access:
> > >
> > > If you are interested in the topic of access to scientific/academic
> > > literature, you should be there.
> > > Getting access to "closed" journals is definetely something that we
> like
> > > and must pursue,
> > > but changing the very system of is more important.

Matthew Roth
Global Communications Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
+1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
www.wikimediafoundation.org
*https://blog.wikimedia.org*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: access to journals

gamaliel8
For editors who just need an specific article or two they can't find:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Resource_Exchange/Resource_Request

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: access to journals

Abhijeet Safai
Thanks Rob for the link.
It is excellent idea.
Thanks once again.