accommodation details

Lodewijk
Hi,

As I am preparing to leave, I was checking a few basic things, which I couldn't find in the documentation. Maybe it is obvious, or I overlooked it - apologies in that case.

I was wondering what exactly is provided for in the accommodation. It's shared and simple rooms, probably with shared bathrooms etc. Could you confirm it's a cheap hotel-like setting, where bed sheets, towels etc are provided for? It would save me luggage, so that would be great :) And am I correct to assume that toiletries are available somewhere in the village if need be?

Thanks for confirming!

Best,
Lodewijk

Re: accommodation details

Risker

On 16 June 2016 at 19:19, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

As I am preparing to leave, I was checking a few basic things, which I couldn't find in the documentation. Maybe it is obvious, or I overlooked it - apologies in that case.

I was wondering what exactly is provided for in the accommodation. It's shared and simple rooms, probably with shared bathrooms etc. Could you confirm it's a cheap hotel-like setting, where bed sheets, towels etc are provided for? It would save me luggage, so that would be great :) And am I correct to assume that toiletries are available somewhere in the village if need be?

Thanks for confirming!

Hmmm.  According to the "Getting Ready" page[1], if you are assigned to a guesthouse or flat, they will provide bedding and towels.  I think it would be safe to assume the same for hotel rooms (although it is not specified).  However, there is specifically no mention of whether one needs to bring bedding/towels for the "specialty lodging" (dormitory).

This was one of the reasons I wanted to know where I was staying, because I would have asked this very question myself if I'd been assigned to "specialty lodging".

Risker/Anne

Re: accommodation details

Iolanda Pensa
Dear all
yes. All the accommodation in Esino Lario have sheets and towels. We only have a building (scout centre ex-ristoro) for which we request a seeping bag or sheets, but it is a building we are using for some of the volunteers, in exceptional cases and we have already informed people about it.

yes. In general there are no private bathrooms.
Please bring your toiletry (you can also buy it in the shops of the village which will be open everyday June 22-27 with different longer times but more or less from 9 to 8) and your hairdryer if you need one (with the necessary adapter). I suggest you also to bring some warm cloths (sweater, jacket, umbrella and shoes for the rain - we expect 15-20 degrees which commonly is not very suitable for flip-flap), your adapter if needed, and some euro for taxi (taxi almost never accept visa), for your personal expenses and as deposit for your key if you are in Esino. There is a bank and ATM in Esino Lario but it can be quicker to change or to withdraw money at the airport or at the Milan railway station.

To accelerate the registration please prepare for us
1. a printed copy of your registration code
2. a printed copy of your passport
3. if possible 10 euro as a deposit for your key (only for people staying in Esino Lario; we will not ask it to everyone but if you have it ready makes things quicker)

thanks
iolanda

Il giorno 17 giu 2016, alle ore 01:30, Risker <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

[...]

Lluís Madurell Alemany
Hi all

For European Union citizens do we need to bring the passport? Is not enought with ID?

Thanks.

-
Lluís Madurell Alemany
Lluis_tgn

[...]

Samat-2
As I know:
Inside the EU you should bring with you your official identity card (released by one of the EU country) OR your passport.
If you arrive from outside the EU or you would like to cross the border of the EU, you need your passport.
Special case is Switzerland (not member of the EU), which is only few km from Esino Lario. For EU citizens, ID card or passport is required to step into Switzerland.

Best,
Samat

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Lluís Madurell Alemany <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Joseph Fox
What Samat says is only true for Schengen-area countries; if you are travelling from (for example) the United Kingdom, you will need a passport. They will not allow you into the Schengen area without it.

Though I imagine most of the Brits here will know that already. :)

Joe

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 at 13:22 Samat <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Joseph Fox, 17/06/2016 16:50:
> if you are travelling from (for example) the United Kingdom, you will
> need a passport. They will not allow you into the Schengen area without it.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/index_en.htm
does not seem to agree with you.

Nemo

Re: accommodation details

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Joseph Fox, 17/06/2016 17:03:
> I've been informed that what I said below isn't actually true; European
> ID cards are indeed accepted as valid ID in the UK (and other
> non-Schengen EU countries). Please disregard!

It's easy to get confused, because UK rips all the benefit of EU
membership without giving any to the others. ;-)

Nemo

Re: accommodation details

Harry Mitchell
I'm pretty sure the airlines won't let you fly without a passport. Don't know about cross-Channel ferries but I'm pretty sure Eurostar require a passport, too. EasyJet took my passport number before they'd even let me book the flight.

Harry Mitchell

Facebook: mitchell.hj
Twitter: @HJ_Mitchell
Skype: harry_j_mitchell

Re: accommodation details

sibi kanagaraj

On Jun 17, 2016 5:52 PM, "Samat" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I know:
> Inside the EU you should bring with you your official identity card (released by one of the EU country) OR your passport.
> If you arrive from outside the EU or you would like to cross the border of the EU, you need your passport.

Doubt:
> Special case is Switzerland (not member of the EU), which is only few km from Esino Lario. For EU citizens, ID card or passport is required to step into Switzerland.

Non Europeans (Indian) , traveling to Esino with a Schengen Visa, are we allowed to visit Switzerland?

Re: accommodation details

Lodewijk
Hi Harry,

You need a valid ID - this is not under discussion. This can be either a passport, or a European identity card. The ID card also has a document number, which is typically accepted as 'passport number' (I did that on a number of occasions in the UK).

Basically, the ID card has the practical use of a passport anywhere in the EU & some more countries.

Best,
Lodewijk

I'm pretty sure the airlines won't let you fly without a passport. Don't know about cross-Channel ferries but I'm pretty sure Eurostar require a passport, too. EasyJet took my passport number before they'd even let me book the flight.

Harry Mitchell

Facebook: mitchell.hj
Twitter: @HJ_Mitchell
Skype: harry_j_mitchell

Re: accommodation details

Joseph Fox
I think this discussion is a little tangential now, but I imagine the confusion is because the UK doesn't have an "ID card" like a lot of the European countries do.

If in doubt, take your passport with you. :)

Joe

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 at 17:11 Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Kinzler-2
Am 17.06.2016 um 17:39 schrieb sibi kanagaraj:
> Non Europeans (Indian) , traveling to Esino with a Schengen Visa, are we allowed
> to visit Switzerland?

As far as I know, yes: Switzerland is part of the Schengen Area (confusingly,
the UK is not). See also <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area>.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: accommodation details

Lluís Madurell Alemany
Greetings

As Iolanda pointed out,

To accelerate the registration please prepare for us
1. a printed copy of your registration code
2. a printed copy of your passport
3. if possible 10 euro as a deposit for your key (only for people staying in Esino Lario; we will not ask it to everyone but if you have it ready makes things quicker)

My question was focused on the second point. I assume for what I have read in the responses that with my European Union ID is enought for the registration.

Best wishes.

Lluís Madurell.

-
Lluís Madurell Alemany
Lluis_tgn

Am 17.06.2016 um 17:39 schrieb sibi kanagaraj:
> Non Europeans (Indian) , traveling to Esino with a Schengen Visa, are we allowed
> to visit Switzerland?

As far as I know, yes: Switzerland is part of the Schengen Area (confusingly,
the UK is not). See also <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area>.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: accommodation details

Marta Pigazzini
Dear Lluís,
I confirm that your European Union ID is fine for registration.
Best,
Marta

Il 17/06/16 21:11, Lluís Madurell Alemany ha scritto:
Greetings

As Iolanda pointed out,

To accelerate the registration please prepare for us
1. a printed copy of your registration code
2. a printed copy of your passport
3. if possible 10 euro as a deposit for your key (only for people staying in Esino Lario; we will not ask it to everyone but if you have it ready makes things quicker)

My question was focused on the second point. I assume for what I have read in the responses that with my European Union ID is enought for the registration.

Best wishes.

Lluís Madurell.

-
Lluís Madurell Alemany
Lluis_tgn

Am 17.06.2016 um 17:39 schrieb sibi kanagaraj:
> Non Europeans (Indian) , traveling to Esino with a Schengen Visa, are we allowed
> to visit Switzerland?

As far as I know, yes: Switzerland is part of the Schengen Area (confusingly,
the UK is not). See also <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area>.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: accommodation details

Chris "Jethro" Schilling
Hi Iolanda,

At customs, it is sometimes common for officers to ask where you are staying.  Given that we have not yet received accommodation information yet, what do we tell the officers if they request an address?

Thanks,

Chris Schilling

Chris "Jethro" Schilling
Community Organizer, Wikimedia Foundation

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Samat <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ellie Young
Chris,

You should have received the following information in am email that I sent last week to everyone who had an accommodation registration package.   Here's the address to use:

Address for lost luggage or immigration purposes:

Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016

via Montefiori 19

23825 Esino Lario

Ellie

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Chris "Jethro" Schilling <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
c. 510 701 8649

Re: accommodation details

Florence Devouard-3
Hi

THe answer is in FAQ
https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/FAQ

(I know... I put it there... bottom of Travel and accommodation section)

Florence