admin reset of a user password?

Devon Hubbard
Is there anyway a wiki administrator can reset a password for a user?  What
would be nice is if the adminsitrator could access the Special:Preferences
page for other users.  Is there any way to do that?

We're encountering a configuration problem on our domain and emails are not
going out from certain servers, including the server hosting our wiki.  We
discovered this because we had created new accounts for some users on the
wiki and those users never received the email invitation.  We've since tried
sending out new email reminders for existing users and they didn't get the
emails.

For the new users, we've even though about deleting the user and re-creating
them but there's apparently no way to delete a user.  Even though we know
these new users haven't ever logged in, so there's no question about their
user id ever being in use.

Unfortunately, because of the email problem we're having, we now have users
that can't get into the wiki and we can't figure out a way to reset their
passwords for them.

I've thought about going into the SQL database and seeing if there is a user
table that might just use the standard PASSWORD() results for the password
data.  But before I go poking around inside the sql data, I thought I'd
better ask this list for possible suggestions.

thanks,

dEVoN

Re: admin reset of a user password?

Rob Church
On 16/05/06, Devon Hubbard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there anyway a wiki administrator can reset a password for a user?  What
> would be nice is if the adminsitrator could access the Special:Preferences
> page for other users.  Is there any way to do that?
>
> We're encountering a configuration problem on our domain and emails are not
> going out from certain servers, including the server hosting our wiki.  We
> discovered this because we had created new accounts for some users on the
> wiki and those users never received the email invitation.  We've since tried
> sending out new email reminders for existing users and they didn't get the
> emails.
>
> For the new users, we've even though about deleting the user and re-creating
> them but there's apparently no way to delete a user.  Even though we know
> these new users haven't ever logged in, so there's no question about their
> user id ever being in use.
>
> Unfortunately, because of the email problem we're having, we now have users
> that can't get into the wiki and we can't figure out a way to reset their
> passwords for them.
>
> I've thought about going into the SQL database and seeing if there is a user
> table that might just use the standard PASSWORD() results for the password
> data.  But before I go poking around inside the sql data, I thought I'd
> better ask this list for possible suggestions.

Google for "MediaWiki password MD5".

Rob Church

On 5/16/06 1:46 PM, "Rob Church" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google for "MediaWiki password MD5".

Thanks Rob!

I followed the instructions in a couple of Google'd articles and got my
passwords reset for the users who didn't get their email notifications on
our system.  Thanks for the tip.

dEVoN