advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

Heather Ford-3
Mark Graham and I are co-chairs of the Wikipedia Track at next year's WikiSym conference (now with added OpenSym!) and we're preparing the call for papers to go out Friday week. There has been such great discussion on this list in the past about what is currently missing from Wikipedia research that I thought I'd send our draft to you in case there are items that you think we might add? Our current suggestions below:

        • What do particular articles or groups or articles tell us about the norms, governance and architecture of Wikipedia and its impact on media, politics and the social sphere? How is information on Wikipedia being shaped by the materiality of Wikipedia infrastructure?

        • What is the impact of all/some of Wikipedia’s 211 language editions having on achieving the project’s goal to represent the “sum of all human knowledge”? Do smaller language editions follow the same development path as larger language editions? Can different representations in different languages tell us anything about cultural, national or regional differences?

        • What are the methodological challenges to studying Wikipedia? How are researchers engaging with innovative methodologies to solve some of these problems? How are other researchers using traditional or well-established methods to study Wikipedia?

        • How are wiki projects other than Wikipedia evolving? What are the benefits to studying other wiki projects and can comparisons and generalisations be made from our observations of these systems?

        • How does information contained in Wikipedia shape our understanding of broader social, economic, and political practices and processes? What theoretical frameworks in social, economic, legal and other relevant theoretical traditions can be applied to enrich the academic discourse on Wikipedia?

Also really looking forward to some great papers next year. We think that it's a really good thing that Wikipedia research has a separate track next year and we're hoping that it's going to really strengthen the quality of research. Looking forward to any suggestions you might have.

Best,
Heather.

Heather Ford
Oxford Internet Institute Doctoral Programme
www.ethnographymatters.net
@hfordsa on Twitter
http://hblog.org

Re: advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

Mayo Fuster Morell
Hello!

Thank you Heather for the note!. The call looks interesting to me, but I would suggest to add gender inclusion as a topic at the call for paper, as it is a central problem in Wikipedia.

Additionally, I would encourage the organizers of Wikisym 2013 to make an extra effort in order to assure engaging women in the conference. In 2012, the organizers of Wikisym were highly predominantly male: 89% of the Symposium Committee, 78% of the Program Committee, and 80% of the program of speakers were men (according to the data provided at http://www.wikisym.org/ws2012/bin/view/Main/Schedule). While other technological related conference (such as OK Fest and Personal Democracy Forum) are able to engage a better gender balance (data provided here:  http://wiki.digital-commons.net/Gender).

In case it could he of help, this wiki collect best practices to engage women in technology related conferences and list of women experts: http://wiki.digital-commons.net/Gender

The WikiWomen's Collaborative wiki might also be a useful resource: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:WikiWomen%27s_Collaborative

Thank you again. Have a nice day! Mayo

         «·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·»
          «·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·»

Fellow. Berkman Center for Internet and Society. Harvard University.
Researcher. Institute of Government and Public Policies. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
Ph.D European University Institute

[...]

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited without the express permission of the sender. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Re: advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

Joe Corneli-3
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Fuster, Mayo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Thank you Heather for the note!. The call looks interesting to me, but I would suggest to add gender inclusion as a topic at the call for paper, as it is a central problem in Wikipedia.

+1

> Mark Graham and I are co-chairs of the Wikipedia Track at next year's WikiSym conference (now with added OpenSym!) and we're preparing the call for papers to go out Friday week.

This might sound like a strawman proposal, or facetious or something,
but it's not.  Let's simply call it a crazy subversive proposal. How
about organizing the Wikipedia Track as an anti-Wikipedia track?

> There has been such great discussion on this list in the past about what is currently missing from Wikipedia  research

Yes, and this is a major sub-point: the main thing missing from
Wikipedia research is non-Wikipedia research.

One notable exception, I think, is Benjamin Mako Hill's "Almost
Wikipedia" talk.  But I think this talk only starts a process of
inquiry.  It's not just "failed Wikipedias" but "successful
non-Wikipedias" that need to be highlighted and compared to Wikipedia
itself.

In short, the purpose would be to engage in scholarly, "inciteful",
Wikipedia-bashing.  What is irreparably flawed in the design?  (More
politely: if we were to do it all over again, what would we do
differently?)  Why is it so unappealing to potential women editors
(per above)?  What are the other outstanding failures of Wikipedia?

Along with this initiative, I suggest inviting Domas Mituzas
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzheado/228629484/) to give a keynote.

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Joe Corneli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Along with this initiative, I suggest inviting Domas Mituzas
> (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzheado/228629484/) to give a keynote.

Another nice point of reference:
http://xkcd.com/214/

Re: advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

Heather Ford-3
Wonderful suggestions, Joe!

It's not just "failed Wikipedias" but "successful
non-Wikipedias" that need to be highlighted and compared to Wikipedia
itself.

As someone who is doing their DPhil on deleted pages and banned users on Wikipedia, I think this is a glorious idea :) I am going to try and construct a good paragraph about critical research being welcomed and talk more with our CPOV group about this based on your suggestions and comments below.

In short, the purpose would be to engage in scholarly, "inciteful",
Wikipedia-bashing.  What is irreparably flawed in the design?  (More
politely: if we were to do it all over again, what would we do
differently?)  Why is it so unappealing to potential women editors
(per above)?  What are the other outstanding failures of Wikipedia?

Along with this initiative, I suggest inviting Domas Mituzas
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzheado/228629484/) to give a keynote.

Ok! Will send onto the organizing committee. Any particular things I should add with the note about why he would be suited?

Best,
Heather.

Heather Ford
Oxford Internet Institute Doctoral Programme
@hfordsa on Twitter

Re: advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

Heather Ford-3
Thank you, Mayo :)

I think one of the problems with WikiSym - especially the research tracks - is that it is (mostly) an academic conference and so is almost entirely dependent on the academic pool (+ funding challenges etc) for participants. That said, we're co-located with Wikimania this year which means that hopefully we can draw from a larger group of practitioners and researchers.

I'll definitely reach out to the WikiWomen's Collective and hopefully with enough time to plan ahead, we'll be able to engage more women in next year's event!

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Best,
Heather.

On Nov 23, 2012, at 7:57 PM, Fuster, Mayo wrote:

[...]

Daniel Mietchen
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Joe Corneli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Joe Corneli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Along with this initiative, I suggest inviting Domas Mituzas
>> (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzheado/228629484/) to give a keynote.
>
> Another nice point of reference:
> http://xkcd.com/214/

Has anyone actually done a clickstream analysis of Wikipedia?

Daniel

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Heather Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok! Will send onto the organizing committee. Any particular things I should
> add with the note about why he would be suited?

I think he's in a somewhat unique position to be able to talk with
authority about both the technology and cultural aspects of Wikipedia
(http://domasmituzas.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/velocity2008-wikipedia.pdf).
  I think that if people are going to do effective research on
Wikipedia, they clearly need to take both of these aspects into
account.  Finally, he's attended Wikimania with a "troll" badge for
some years and I think should be invited to make an appearance at
WikiSym in the same capacity.  The research community would benefit
from this sort of jester-like wit as much or more than the mainstream
Wikistas.

Re: advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

Han-Teng Liao (OII)-2
As a researcher I really like the first three items.

I am not sure about the third one. Is it designed to connect this
track with the Wikipedia Track, and/or in relation to other tracks?

The fifth item seems a bit general. It might be helpful to have a look
at what the Wikimania is doing:
   http://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions

I would guess that since Wikipedia projects are increasingly organized
and expanded, various cultural and educational activities have been
happening (or about to happen) in a more organized way by various
actors, such as local chapters, partners of Cultural and Education
Outreach programs and GLAM – galleries, libraries, archives and
museums – institutions. It might be a good idea to frame this sort of
civic- or digital- literacy efforts, under/over a loftier UN-like
Human Development agenda (and more interestingly I believe, data!)

Finally, just a gap I sense is worth covering. I see there are efforts
to use Wikipedia simply as big data for research in different domains,
treating it as big language corpus, sentiment databases, business
intelligence, visualization, etc. Sometimes such discipline-specific
research does not overlap much and/or does not show up in wikisym or
wikimania. Still, because of the fact they all approach Wikipedia for
data, it may be a good idea to grow a platform where researchers can
share various ways and experiences dealing with the big data
Wikipedia. I personally believe that a research ecology around the
Wikipedia the big data may be emerging, if the relevant data, tools
and crafts begin to grow around Wikipedia. I agree with Heather that
we may have too much big data analysis on the English version of
Wikipedia (wink wink), but it may be relevant to use this opportunity
to document, or even conduct ethnography work on various human efforts
trying to use various tools of "big data" to (mis-)read/use/exploit
Wikipedia differently.

Best,
han-teng liao

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Heather Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark Graham and I are co-chairs of the Wikipedia Track at next year's WikiSym conference (now with added OpenSym!) and we're preparing the call for papers to go out Friday week. There has been such great discussion on this list in the past about what is currently missing from Wikipedia research that I thought I'd send our draft to you in case there are items that you think we might add? Our current suggestions below:
>
>         • What do particular articles or groups or articles tell us about the norms, governance and architecture of Wikipedia and its impact on media, politics and the social sphere? How is information on Wikipedia being shaped by the materiality of Wikipedia infrastructure?
>
>         • What is the impact of all/some of Wikipedia’s 211 language editions having on achieving the project’s goal to represent the “sum of all human knowledge”? Do smaller language editions follow the same development path as larger language editions? Can different representations in different languages tell us anything about cultural, national or regional differences?
>
>         • What are the methodological challenges to studying Wikipedia? How are researchers engaging with innovative methodologies to solve some of these problems? How are other researchers using traditional or well-established methods to study Wikipedia?
>
>         • How are wiki projects other than Wikipedia evolving? What are the benefits to studying other wiki projects and can comparisons and generalisations be made from our observations of these systems?
>
>         • How does information contained in Wikipedia shape our understanding of broader social, economic, and political practices and processes? What theoretical frameworks in social, economic, legal and other relevant theoretical traditions can be applied to enrich the academic discourse on Wikipedia?
>
> Also really looking forward to some great papers next year. We think that it's a really good thing that Wikipedia research has a separate track next year and we're hoping that it's going to really strengthen the quality of research. Looking forward to any suggestions you might have.
>
> Best,
> Heather.
>
> Heather Ford
> Oxford Internet Institute Doctoral Programme
> www.ethnographymatters.net
> @hfordsa on Twitter
> http://hblog.org

Re: advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

Heather Ford-3
Thank you so much for your thoughts and comment, Han-Teng! I hope this means that you'll be participating next year :)

On Nov 24, 2012, at 3:57 PM, Han-Teng Liao wrote:

As a researcher I really like the first three items.

I am not sure about the third one. Is it designed to connect this
track with the Wikipedia Track, and/or in relation to other tracks?

This one? "What are the methodological challenges to studying Wikipedia? How are researchers engaging with innovative methodologies to solve some of these problems? How are other researchers using traditional or well-established methods to study Wikipedia?"

This *is* the Wikipedia Track :) So not sure what you mean when you say 'connect this track with the Wikipedia Track' (it is confusing, I know!)

Mark and I thought it would be really useful to have people write and talk about their methods when studying Wikipedia - especially since it is such an interdisciplinary field.

The fifth item seems a bit general.

Yes, I think Mark can pitch in here but we thought that it would be good to link Wikipedia research back to social theory because that is sometimes lacking in the research. But perhaps we should tighten it up a bit?

It might be helpful to have a look
at what the Wikimania is doing:
  http://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions

Yes, thank you! Interesting that they have an 'academic track' this year...

I would guess that since Wikipedia projects are increasingly organized
and expanded, various cultural and educational activities have been
happening (or about to happen) in a more organized way by various
actors, such as local chapters, partners of Cultural and Education
Outreach programs and GLAM – galleries, libraries, archives and
museums – institutions. It might be a good idea to frame this sort of
civic- or digital- literacy efforts, under/over a loftier UN-like
Human Development agenda (and more interestingly I believe, data!)

Sounds interesting but not sure I understand the suggestion? If you're suggesting we frame another research area/question around how institutions are interacting with Wikipedia, then I think that's a great idea!

Finally, just a gap I sense is worth covering. I see there are efforts
to use Wikipedia simply as big data for research in different domains,
treating it as big language corpus, sentiment databases, business
intelligence, visualization, etc. Sometimes such discipline-specific
research does not overlap much and/or does not show up in wikisym or
wikimania. Still, because of the fact they all approach Wikipedia for
data, it may be a good idea to grow a platform where researchers can
share various ways and experiences dealing with the big data
Wikipedia.

Yes, good idea! I'm thinking that we should fit this into the methods area....

I personally believe that a research ecology around the
Wikipedia the big data may be emerging, if the relevant data, tools
and crafts begin to grow around Wikipedia. I agree with Heather that
we may have too much big data analysis on the English version of
Wikipedia (wink wink), but it may be relevant to use this opportunity
to document, or even conduct ethnography work on various human efforts
trying to use various tools of "big data" to (mis-)read/use/exploit
Wikipedia differently.

I totally agree (as you might have guessed ;)

Best,
Heather.

[...]

Great! Thank you Heather.

You did not make reference in your reply to it so it is difficult to know if you consider it, but I still think adding gender question into the call for papers would be a good idea.

Thank you again. Cheers! Mayo

         «·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·»
          «·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·»

www.ethnographymatters.net<http://www.ethnographymatters.net>

On Nov 25, 2012, at 3:56 PM, Fuster, Mayo wrote:

Great! Thank you Heather.

You did not make reference in your reply to it so it is difficult to know if you consider it,

Oh, sorry - we definitely will be adding it! Thanks!

but I still think adding gender question into the call for papers would be a good idea.

Thank you again. Cheers! Mayo

        «·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·»
         «·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·»

Fellow. Berkman Center for Internet and Society. Harvard University.
Researcher. Institute of Government and Public Policies. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
Ph.D European University Institute

Re: advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

Dirk Riehle-2
Hello everyone,

> I think one of the problems with WikiSym - especially the research tracks - is
> that it is (mostly) an academic conference and so is almost entirely dependent
> on the academic pool (+ funding challenges etc) for participants. That said,

not sure what the actual problem is that you are pointing to. The research
tracks are set up the way they are set up to provide researchers with a
quality-controlled publication mechanism that evaluates (and values) their
work. Academic currency, that is :-)

Conference cost is a wholly separate issue. WikiSym + OpenSym is very cheap
compared to most other academic conferences, and we are constantly pushing for
lowering the prices.

> we're co-located with Wikimania this year which means that hopefully we can
> draw from a larger group of practitioners and researchers.

The community track as well as open space will provide lots of outlets for
anything that does not have to or does not want to pass academic peer review.
There's ample space!

> I'll definitely reach out to the WikiWomen's Collective and hopefully with
> enough time to plan ahead, we'll be able to engage more women in next year's
> event!

Sounds good to me.

Dirk

> On Nov 23, 2012, at 7:57 PM, Fuster, Mayo wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Thank you Heather for the note!. The call looks interesting to me, but I
>> would suggest to add gender inclusion as a topic at the call for paper, as
>> it is a central problem in Wikipedia.
>>
>> Additionally, I would encourage the organizers of Wikisym 2013 to make an
>> extra effort in order to assure engaging women in the conference. In 2012,
>> the organizers of Wikisym were highly predominantly male: 89% of the
>> Symposium Committee, 78% of the Program Committee, and 80% of the program of
>> speakers were men (according to the data provided at
>> http://www.wikisym.org/ws2012/bin/view/Main/Schedule). While other
>> technological related conference (such as OK Fest and Personal Democracy
>> Forum) are able to engage a better gender balance (data provided here:
>> http://wiki.digital-commons.net/Gender).
>>
>> In case it could he of help, this wiki collect best practices to engage
>> women in technology related conferences and list of women experts:
>> http://wiki.digital-commons.net/Gender
>>
>> The WikiWomen's Collaborative wiki might also be a useful resource:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:WikiWomen%27s_Collaborative
>>
>> Thank you again. Have a nice day! Mayo
>>
>>         «·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·»
>>          «·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·»
>>
>> Fellow. Berkman Center for Internet and Society. Harvard University.
>> Researcher. Institute of Government and Public Policies. Autonomous
>> University of Barcelona.
>> Ph.D European University Institute
>>
>> Website: http://www.onlinecreation.info
>> From: [hidden email]

Website: http://dirkriehle.com - Twitter: @dirkriehle
Ph (DE): +49-157-8153-4150 - Ph (US): +1-650-450-8550

Re: advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

Dirk Riehle-2
Wikis are big in education, so I'm sure educational topics are welcome. There
are plenty of educators.

The open collaboration track (wikis in general, not Wikipedia) may be more
suitable. Alternatively, for non-reserach work, the community track.

Cheers,
Dirk

On 26.11.2012 05:05, Juliana Bastos Marques wrote:

> Is there any interest on adding a topic related to Education? Sorry for
> insisting on this, but I'd really like to know whether I should focus my
> efforts on this group or start from the ground - in terms of congresses and
> journals - in another one.
>
> Juliana.
>

> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Fuster, Mayo <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Great! Thank you Heather.
>
>     You did not make reference in your reply to it so it is difficult to know
>     if you consider it, but I still think adding gender question into the call
>     for papers would be a good idea.
>
>     Thank you again. Cheers! Mayo
>
>               «·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·»
>                «·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·»
>
>     Fellow. Berkman Center for Internet and Society. Harvard University.
>     Researcher. Institute of Government and Public Policies. Autonomous
>     University of Barcelona.
>     Ph.D European University Institute
>
>     Website: http://www.onlinecreation.info
>     ________________________________________
>     From: [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     [[hidden email]

Thanks so much for your input on the WikiSym CFP! This is the latest draft of the topics section with the addition of 3 extra topics related to gender, education and institutionalisation suggested by members of this list. Remember that these are just ways of inspiring people to think of things to write about or to see their own work represented here. It isn't meant to be comprehensive. Any paper related to Wikipedia research will be reviewed in this track (with broader topics related to open collaboration, open data etc reviewed in other WikiSym + OpenSym topics):

'Topics of interest to the Wikipedia research track include, but are not limited to:
        • What do particular articles or groups or articles tell us about the norms, governance and architecture of Wikipedia and its impact on media, politics and the social sphere? How is information on Wikipedia being shaped by the materiality of Wikipedia infrastructure?
        • What is the impact of all/some of Wikipedia’s 211 language editions having on achieving the project’s goal to represent the “sum of all human knowledge”? Do smaller language editions follow the same development path as larger language editions? Can different representations in different languages tell us anything about cultural, national or regional differences?
        • What are the gender dimensions of Wikipedia editing? How are issues around power, knowledge and representation drawn into focus by gender, geography and other gaps in Wikipedia editing?
        • What skills/competencies/connections/world views are required to become an empowered member of the Wikimedia community? What would a Wikipedia literate person look like? How might they obtain those skills/competencies/connections/world views?
        • What is the effect of outreach initiatives involving the growing institutionalisation of Wikipedia activities? As galleries, libraries, archives and museums hire Wikipedians-in-residence to digitize, showcase and/or represent their collections, is Wikipedia able to fill some its key knowledge gaps? Or are there unintended effects of this institutionalization of knowledge?

On Nov 26, 2012, at 8:58 PM, Dirk Riehle wrote:

> Wikis are big in education, so I'm sure educational topics are welcome. There are plenty of educators.
>
> The open collaboration track (wikis in general, not Wikipedia) may be more suitable. Alternatively, for non-reserach work, the community track.
>
> Cheers,
> Dirk
>

> On 26.11.2012 05:05, Juliana Bastos Marques wrote:
>> Is there any interest on adding a topic related to Education? Sorry for
>> insisting on this, but I'd really like to know whether I should focus my
>> efforts on this group or start from the ground - in terms of congresses and
>> journals - in another one.
>>
>> Juliana.
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Fuster, Mayo <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    Great! Thank you Heather.
>>
>>    You did not make reference in your reply to it so it is difficult to know
>>    if you consider it, but I still think adding gender question into the call
>>    for papers would be a good idea.
>>
>>    Thank you again. Cheers! Mayo
>>
>>              «·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·»
>>               «·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·»
>>
>>    Fellow. Berkman Center for Internet and Society. Harvard University.
>>    Researcher. Institute of Government and Public Policies. Autonomous
>>    University of Barcelona.
>>    Ph.D European University Institute
>>
>>    Website: http://www.onlinecreation.info
>>    ________________________________________
>>    From: [hidden email]
>>    <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>    [[hidden email]

Apologies for my very tardy response!

More below:

On Nov 26, 2012, at 8:56 PM, Dirk Riehle wrote:

Hello everyone,

I think one of the problems with WikiSym - especially the research tracks - is
that it is (mostly) an academic conference and so is almost entirely dependent
on the academic pool (+ funding challenges etc) for participants. That said,

not sure what the actual problem is that you are pointing to. The research tracks are set up the way they are set up to provide researchers with a quality-controlled publication mechanism that evaluates (and values) their work. Academic currency, that is :-)

I was referring to the comparison with OK Fest and Personal Democracy Forum which don't seem to be academic conferences. And I meant that when you have broader events like the latter, you're able to get funding for specific groups to be represented, whereas with an academic conference, you're limited by the academic pool and less participation funding. Unless I'm wrong, Dirk? Do you guys have funding to focus on involving more women, for example?

Conference cost is a wholly separate issue. WikiSym + OpenSym is very cheap compared to most other academic conferences, and we are constantly pushing for lowering the prices.

I guess it doesn't matter how cheap the conference itself is. Travel funding will always be the limiting factor.

we're co-located with Wikimania this year which means that hopefully we can
draw from a larger group of practitioners and researchers.

The community track as well as open space will provide lots of outlets for anything that does not have to or does not want to pass academic peer review. There's ample space!

Exactly!

Best,
Heather.

[...]

Hi Heather, everyone:

> which don't seem to be academic conferences. And I meant that when you have
> broader events like the latter, you're able to get funding for specific groups
> to be represented, whereas with an academic conference, you're limited by the
> academic pool and less participation funding. Unless I'm wrong, Dirk? Do you
> guys have funding to focus on involving more women, for example?

Would love to see that! Alas, it always hinges on someone doing the work. We
have not been very good in the past in raising funds for specific groups.

The Wikimedia Foundation has been good to us, sponsoring WikiSym in the past.
For 2013, we hope for continued sponsorship. Should we specifically request
money for particular subgroups?

In general, if someone reads this and really would like to help raise funds
for a particular subgroup and be involved in WikiSym + OpenSym, please put out
your little finger and we'll grab your hand!

Cheers,
Dirk

--
Website: http://dirkriehle.com - Twitter: @dirkriehle
Ph (DE): +49-157-8153-4150 - Ph (US): +1-650-450-8550

Re: advice on Wikipedia topics for WikiSym 2013

Dirk Riehle-2
Did we mention that WikiSym will be co-located with Wikimania in 2013? So if
we find special funding for subgroups, folks will be able to attend both
events more easily!