an idea for a commons help tool

Brianna Laugher
Since there are some really good tools being written lately, I thought
I'd throw up a request for one. :) This one would be quite easy to
make, I think. Just saves some typing. (I would like it for en.wp but
I think it would be pretty easy to make for any language.wp.)

Articles on Commons frequently have no contextual information - just a
heading and images. Sometimes this is OK but usually short description
blurbs and interwiki links would be better. The easiest way to make
these is to find the en.wp article, copy the list of interwiki links,
add the English interwiki link, then convert these to description tags
and either leave just the article name as the description, or add the
first sentence from the article.

e.g. today I fixed up this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Arthur%27s_Seat&oldid=1728248

The description tags look like this:

{{en|This is where the first line of the article would go.}}

not a far leap from [[en:article name]] at all, really. You can also
link to the WP article in the description tag, or bold the subject, or
do neither.

Typically I only put the full description for English because I'm
usually fixing up other people's articles, then I just put the article
name for the other interwiki links _if it differs to the English
name_. For example with species, quite a few wikis put them at the
Latin binomial name (as does Commons), so I don't think it's necessary
to list 50 "translations" of a word that already appears on the page.

as an example see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Malamute ,
where I have only translated the labels that are not 'Alaskan
Malamute' (in this case they are different scripts).

Anyway does what I've described make sense? Basically I'd like to put
in the name of the relevant en.wp article, and get out the description
tags and interwiki links that I can paste right into my Commons
article.

Not at all urgent, of course...

cheers,
Brianna

--
"Mathematicians do it with Nobel's wife."

Re: an idea for a commons help tool

Joakim Larsson
maybe quite the same subject, this is a mail that I sent to the person
who have med commonist, but since h* hasn't replaied I maybe can post
my suggestions here to see if anybode can make somthing of it:
I don't know how hard this is to implant but I think it would a really
great function.

let me explain it in a couple of steps..

1. I open up an image list on my Wikipedia.
2. I download a bunch of pictures to a local folder on My computer
3. I load this folder int commonist
4. Now comes the new function, I chose the new alternative, move to commons
4.1 Move to commons ask me what laguage version I'm moving from
4.2 Commonist uses http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/commonshelper.php
or an own version of the same thing to fill in the same information
4.3 Commonist tells me if any of the files names exists on commons
(http://ln-s.net/+Sv may help)
5 I upload the files
6 Commonist or myself marks the files with {{NCT}} or {{NowCommms|changed name}}
7 optionally it would be cool if Commonist would know if I have
changed the files name after I loaded it into commonist and then
correct the links on the wikipedia, but I guess the two last functions
would mean that a bot account would be needed in some cases.

What do you say?
Sincerely
[[sv:Grön]]

2006/4/18, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]>:

> Since there are some really good tools being written lately, I thought
> I'd throw up a request for one. :) This one would be quite easy to
> make, I think. Just saves some typing. (I would like it for en.wp but
> I think it would be pretty easy to make for any language.wp.)
>
> Articles on Commons frequently have no contextual information - just a
> heading and images. Sometimes this is OK but usually short description
> blurbs and interwiki links would be better. The easiest way to make
> these is to find the en.wp article, copy the list of interwiki links,
> add the English interwiki link, then convert these to description tags
> and either leave just the article name as the description, or add the
> first sentence from the article.
>
> e.g. today I fixed up this:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Arthur%27s_Seat&oldid=1728248
>
> The description tags look like this:
>
> {{en|This is where the first line of the article would go.}}
>
> not a far leap from [[en:article name]] at all, really. You can also
> link to the WP article in the description tag, or bold the subject, or
> do neither.
>
> Typically I only put the full description for English because I'm
> usually fixing up other people's articles, then I just put the article
> name for the other interwiki links _if it differs to the English
> name_. For example with species, quite a few wikis put them at the
> Latin binomial name (as does Commons), so I don't think it's necessary
> to list 50 "translations" of a word that already appears on the page.
>
> as an example see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Malamute ,
> where I have only translated the labels that are not 'Alaskan
> Malamute' (in this case they are different scripts).
>
> Anyway does what I've described make sense? Basically I'd like to put
> in the name of the relevant en.wp article, and get out the description
> tags and interwiki links that I can paste right into my Commons
> article.
>
> Not at all urgent, of course...
>
> cheers,
> Brianna
>

> --
> "Mathematicians do it with Nobel's wife."

Re: an idea for a commons help tool

Magnus Manske
Brianna Laugher schrieb:
> Since there are some really good tools being written lately, I thought
> I'd throw up a request for one. :) This one would be quite easy to
> make, I think. Just saves some typing. (I would like it for en.wp but
> I think it would be pretty easy to make for any language.wp.)

<snip>
> Not at all urgent, of course...

Like this [1]? ;-)

Maybe extensive testing should wait until wikipedia is up to decent
speed again, though.

Magnus
(still waiting to be approved by the toolserver gods)

[1] http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/commons_sumitup.php

Re: an idea for a commons help tool

Brianna Laugher
> Like this [1]? ;-)
>
> Maybe extensive testing should wait until wikipedia is up to decent
> speed again, though.
>
> Magnus
> (still waiting to be approved by the toolserver gods)
>
> [1] http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/commons_sumitup.php

Someone give the man approval! Thankyou, that's super awesome.

It's also quite useful for determining incorrect interwiki links. What
exactly does 'Missing interwiki links' mean?

Something weird happened to the layout when I put in 'Serbian
language' as well (to test an article with many interwiki links).

Two problems:
1) The vast majority of links will be red in Commons, so either links
should be ignored, or they should point back to the original wikipedia
article
2) Well actually, there's only one problem. ;) I love it!

Of course it's not quite perfect, I suspect templates will stuff it up
a bit, but I expect the person operating it to be able to figure that
out, even in another language.

Too awesome!

Brianna

Re: an idea for a commons help tool

Brianna Laugher
It's not doing so great on non-Latin scripts, either. (Giving the
interwiki links for them) Which is strange, because the descriptions
come up fine. Specifically:

[[ar:???]]
[[bg:??????? ????]]
[[bo:????]]
[[fa:??]]
[[he:???]]
[[hr:Doma?i pas]]
[[ja:??]]
[[ko:?]]
[[lt:?uo]]
[[ru:?????? ????????]]
[[sr:???]]
[[th:?????]]
[[ti:???]]
[[uk:??????]]
[[zh:?]]

It also includes links like [[w:lupus|lupus]] as interwiki links. I'm
not sure where they even come from but they're not interwiki. Well OK
they are... they link to Wikipedia articles, but they don't produce
interwiki links - you need a language code for that. (eg. en)

Brianna

Brianna Laugher schrieb:

> 1) The vast majority of links will be red in Commons, so either links
> should be ignored, or they should point back to the original wikipedia
> article

I have changed the script so the links now point back to the original
wikipedia. This is much easier than removing the links (which would
require some half-parser;-)

Magnus

Brianna Laugher schrieb:
> It's not doing so great on non-Latin scripts, either. (Giving the
> interwiki links for them) Which is strange, because the descriptions
> come up fine.
Should work. Try installing a CJK font (e.g., [1]).
> It also includes links like [[w:lupus|lupus]] as interwiki links. I'm
> not sure where they even come from but they're not interwiki. Well OK
> they are... they link to Wikipedia articles, but they don't produce
> interwiki links - you need a language code for that. (eg. en)

Since I'm too lazy to make a list of all language codes used, I only
check for length ;-)
Now set to two-letter-codes only, should ignore "w:" now.

Magnus

[1]
ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/Cyberbit.ZIP

Brianna Laugher schrieb:

> What exactly does 'Missing interwiki links' mean?

It is a byproduct of following the language links. For each language, it
lists the language links that are missing. You can copy a line (/after/
the link), click on the link, edit the page, insert the line you copied,
and now that language links to all other existing languages.

Magnus

Re: an idea for a commons help tool

Filip Maljković
Magnus Manske wrote:

>Since I'm too lazy to make a list of all language codes used, I only
>check for length ;-)
>Now set to two-letter-codes only, should ignore "w:" now.

There are some three-letter-codes, you know?
Filip

Re: an idea for a commons help tool

Brianna Laugher
> > It also includes links like [[w:lupus|lupus]] as interwiki links. I'm
> > not sure where they even come from but they're not interwiki. Well OK
> > they are... they link to Wikipedia articles, but they don't produce
> > interwiki links - you need a language code for that. (eg. en)
> >
> Since I'm too lazy to make a list of all language codes used, I only
> check for length ;-)
> Now set to two-letter-codes only, should ignore "w:" now.

Hm, that's better, but I'm sorry to report that there are some three
and maybe longer lang codes eg nds.wp. But minimum length 2 shouldn't
be too bad, I think it will still pick up links like [[meta:]] but
there shouldn't be too many of them in articles anyway.

Brianna

--
"Mathematicians do it with Nobel's wife."

Re: an idea for a commons help tool

Andre Engels
2006/4/20, Filip Maljkovic <[hidden email]>:
> Magnus Manske wrote:
>
> >Since I'm too lazy to make a list of all language codes used, I only
> >check for length ;-)
> >Now set to two-letter-codes only, should ignore "w:" now.
> >

> There are some three-letter-codes, you know?

Even some longer ones; the Python Wikipediabot framework (which by the
way also has a bot to copy images from a local Wikipedia to Commons)
uses the following list of existing language codes:

'aa','af','ak','als','am','ang','ab','ar','an','roa-rup','frp','as',
           'ast','gn','av','ay','az','bm','bn','zh-min-nan','map-mbs','ba','be',
           'bh','bi','bo','bs','br','bg','ca','cv','ceb','cs','ch','ny','sn',
           'tum','cho','co','za','cy','da','pdc','de','dv','arc','nv','dz','mh',
           'et','el','en','es','eo','eu','ee','fa','fo','fr','fy','ff','fur','ga',
           'gv','gd','gl','ki','gu','got','ko','ha','haw','hy','hi','ho','hr',
           'io','ig','ilo','id','ia','ie','iu','ik','os','xh','zu','is','it','he',
           'jv','kl','xal','kn','kr','ka','ks','csb','kk','kw','rw','ky','rn',
           'sw','kv','kg','ht','kj','ku','lo','lad','la','lv','lb','lij','lt',
           'li','ln','jbo','lg','lmo','hu','mk','mg','ml','mt','mi','mr','ms',
           'mo','mn','mus','my','nah','na','fj','nl','nds-nl','cr','ne','ja','nap',
           'ce','pih','no','nn','nrm','oc','or','om','ng','hz','ug','pa','pi',
           'pam','pap','ps','km','pms','nds','pl','pt','ty','ksh','ro','rmy','rm',
           'qu','ru','war','se','sm','sa','sg','sc','sco','st','tn','sq','scn',
           'si','simple','sd','ss','sk','sl','so','sr','sh','su','fi','sv','tl',
           'ta','tt','te','tet','th','vi','ti','tg','tpi','to','chr','chy','ve',
           'tr','tk','tw','udm','bug','uk','ur','uz','vec','vo','fiu-vro','wa',
           'vls','wo','ts','ii','yi','yo','zh-yue','bat-smg','zh','zh-tw','zh-cn'

--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Andre Engels schrieb:

> 2006/4/20, Filip Maljkovic <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Magnus Manske wrote:
>>

>>> Since I'm too lazy to make a list of all language codes used, I only
>>> check for length ;-)
>>> Now set to two-letter-codes only, should ignore "w:" now.
>>>

>> There are some three-letter-codes, you know?
>>

> Even some longer ones; the Python Wikipediabot framework (which by the
> way also has a bot to copy images from a local Wikipedia to Commons)
> uses the following list of existing language codes:

Thanks, I'm using these now!

Magnus