announce-l and "Wikizine"?

Brion Vibber
It seems a couple folks took over the abandoned announce-l mailing list a couple
months ago, sending community updates branded as "Wikizine" on it. The domain
name wikizine.org is being used to redirect to the list subscription page, and
some links & an email address at that domain are used.

http://wikizine.org/
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikizine

Now, having some actual Wikimedia info on a mailing list is pretty cool. :) But
I've got a couple organizational questions I want to toss out to the broader
community:

* It looks like Walter Vermeir owns this wikizine.org domain himself. What's the
status of it? If Walter loses interest will it continue? Who'll be responsible
for renewing it?

* I received a request to make a mailing list for a Romanian-language Wikizine.
Are we going to add more such lists, and if so should we do so under the
'announce' name set or 'wikizine'?

* Some 'marketing' ;) This has been going on for two or three months and I never
noticed. Was I just asleep at the wheel, or are a lot of people missing out who
might be interested?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: announce-l and "Wikizine"?

Angela-5

> * It looks like Walter Vermeir owns this wikizine.org domain himself. What's the
> status of it? If Walter loses interest will it continue? Who'll be responsible
> for renewing it?

I can see the same problems that arose around the name "wikimania"
happening here. That was an informal name for the conference, but
ended up being what everyone called it, and now we face having to
change a well-known name or spending far too much on getting domain
names and trademarks. We should either make sure we have the rights to
"Wikizine" before its too late, or not call it that. Perhaps this is
something our Legal Officer, Jean-Baptiste Soufron, could advise on?

> * Some 'marketing' ;) This has been going on for two or three months and I never
> noticed. Was I just asleep at the wheel, or are a lot of people missing out who
> might be interested?

It was announced on a few mailing lists, but doesn't seem to have
reached many people yet, considering Daily-article-l has 8889 members
compared to just 275 on Wikizine.

Angela.

Re: announce-l and "Wikizine"?

oscar-11

> It seems a couple folks took over the abandoned announce-l mailing list a
> couple
> months ago, sending community updates branded as "Wikizine" on it. The
> domain
> name wikizine.org is being used to redirect to the list subscription page,
> and
> some links & an email address at that domain are used.
>
> http://wikizine.org/
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikizine

well, walter had the idea of launching a wikizine on announce-l, i supported
the idea and asked elian for permission. she changed the list-owners to the
current situation fyi.

grtz, oscar

Now, having some actual Wikimedia info on a mailing list is pretty cool. :)

> But
> I've got a couple organizational questions I want to toss out to the
> broader
> community:
>
> * It looks like Walter Vermeir owns this wikizine.org domain himself.
> What's the
> status of it? If Walter loses interest will it continue? Who'll be
> responsible
> for renewing it?
>
> * I received a request to make a mailing list for a Romanian-language
> Wikizine.
> Are we going to add more such lists, and if so should we do so under the
> 'announce' name set or 'wikizine'?
>
> * Some 'marketing' ;) This has been going on for two or three months and I
> never
> noticed. Was I just asleep at the wheel, or are a lot of people missing
> out who
> might be interested?
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: announce-l and "Wikizine"?

oscar-11
hi brion, angela,

On 1/26/06, oscar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/24/06, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It seems a couple folks took over the abandoned announce-l mailing list
> > a couple
> > months ago, sending community updates branded as "Wikizine" on it. The
> > domain
> > name wikizine.org is being used to redirect to the list subscription
> > page, and
> > some links & an email address at that domain are used.
> >
> > http://wikizine.org/
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikizine
>

> well, walter had the idea of launching a wikizine on announce-l, i
> supported the idea and asked elian for permission. she changed the
> list-owners to the current situation fyi.
>
> grtz, oscar
>
> Now, having some actual Wikimedia info on a mailing list is pretty cool.
> > :) But
> > I've got a couple organizational questions I want to toss out to the
> > broader
> > community:
> >
> > * It looks like Walter Vermeir owns this wikizine.org domain himself.
> > What's the
> > status of it? If Walter loses interest will it continue? Who'll be
> > responsible
> > for renewing it?

btw the idea is "bottom up", so wikizine is not an official wikimedia
foundation thing, with no official status at all, just supported by some
*nerds* such as i am ;-)

* I received a request to make a mailing list for a Romanian-language
> > Wikizine.
> > Are we going to add more such lists, and if so should we do so under the
> > 'announce' name set or 'wikizine'?

let them create a similar *zine* thing if they want, why not? after all, all
"more or less reliable communication" will enhance growth of the projects
imho.

* Some 'marketing' ;) This has been going on for two or three months and I
> > never
> > noticed. Was I just asleep at the wheel, or are a lot of people missing
> > out who
> > might be interested?

sorry for our insufficient pr... you are imho not asleep at the wheel - lol!
- but probably immersed in improving other parts of the car, aren't you? ;-)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

grtz, oscar

Re: announce-l and "Wikizine"?

Walter Vermeir-2
Brion Vibber <brion@...> writes:
[cut]
> * It looks like Walter Vermeir owns this wikizine.org domain himself. What's
the
> status of it? If Walter loses interest will it continue? Who'll be responsible
> for renewing it?

To my surprise the domain wikizine.org was not yet taken. A .org is not
expensive, so I have paid for it and I will continue to pay for it so long I am
interested.

I am actively involved since early 2002 with Wikipedia so I would say it is not
very likely that I will lose interest soon.

> * I received a request to make a mailing list for a Romanian-language
Wikizine.
> Are we going to add more such lists, and if so should we do so under the
> 'announce' name set or 'wikizine'?

If the realy wish to call it "Wikizine", so be it. But it would prefer if the
did not do that. To use the same name can give confusing.

If it is only a translation of Wikizine then it make sense to also use that
name. Best can the contact me to see what there plans are and how we can work
together.

> * Some 'marketing' ;) This has been going on for two or three months and I
never
> noticed. Was I just asleep at the wheel, or are a lot of people missing out
who
> might be interested?

Number -5 until number 0 was experimental and not announced anywhere. On 2005-
11-16  I have send an announcement to the mailing lists about Wikizine but not
to Wikitech-l.  It was my idea to send a special version to Wikitech-l about it
but I never came to it yet.

Walter