Quantcast

anyone with super powers?

Jon Davies
Probably impossible but can anyone take this table and convert it back
into something editable - open office by preference.
:(

http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:FiveYearPlanFirstdraft.odt-2.pdf&page=1

--
Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: anyone with super powers?

Thehelpfulone
It's not easy I'm afraid - I've run it through a couple of automatic converters, but the PDF format is horrible such that each individual letter is made up of more than one graph bit, where as a "proper" pdf would be each letter is only one graphic. Unless someone else has some elite super powers, it looks like it'll need a manual re-create if you can't find the original...

You could try  http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport  to see if that will import it - there's no harm in trying, and I imagine if that was made using OpenOffice you might have a bit more luck using that. I don't have OpenOffice so I haven't tried that.

THO

On 3 April 2012 16:14, Jon Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
Probably impossible but can anyone take this table and convert it back into something editable - open office by preference.
:(

http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:FiveYearPlanFirstdraft.odt-2.pdf&page=1

--
Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  <a href="tel:07976%20935%20986" value="+447976935986" target="_blank">07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone <a href="tel:%280044%29%20207%20065%200990" value="+442070650990" target="_blank">(0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Thehelpfulone
English Wikipedia Administrator

Re: anyone with super powers?

Jon Davies
Thanks for trying - all my fault - accidentally erased two thirds of
the document :(

Quoting Thehelpfulone <[hidden email]>:

> It's not easy I'm afraid - I've run it through a couple of automatic
> converters, but the PDF format is horrible such that each individual letter
> is made up of more than one graph bit, where as a "proper" pdf would be
> each letter is only one graphic. Unless someone else has some elite super
> powers, it looks like it'll need a manual re-create if you can't find the
> original...
>
> You could try
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport  to see if
> that will import it - there's no harm in trying, and I imagine if that was
> made using OpenOffice you might have a bit more luck using that. I don't
> have OpenOffice so I haven't tried that.
>
> THO
>
> On 3 April 2012 16:14, Jon Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Probably impossible but can anyone take this table and convert it back
>> into something editable - open office by preference.
>> :(
>>
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/**index.php?title=File:**
>> FiveYearPlanFirstdraft.odt-2.**pdf&page=1<http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:FiveYearPlanFirstdraft.odt-2.pdf&page=1>
>>
>> --
>> Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
>> tweet @jonatreesdavies
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
>> Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and
>> Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
>> Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
>> London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
>> Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
>> Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
>> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
>> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
>> its contents.
>>
>> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

> Thehelpfulone
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone
> English Wikipedia Administrator

--
Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: anyone with super powers?

Christophe Henner
Hi Jon

Have you tried to use an OCR ?

You would be able to get back the content and put it back in a spreadsheet.

Best,

--
Christophe

On 3 April 2012 21:10, Thehelpfulone <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

James Farrar
Jon,

I have some decent OCR software at work - will try running it through that this afternoon/evening. Do you have a deadline?

On 4 April 2012 07:50, Jon Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

No urgent deadline - about 16th of April in reality.  Thanks.
Quoting James Farrar <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
>> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
>> its contents.
>>
>> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor

Gordon Joly
On 03/04/12 16:14, Jon Davies wrote:
> Probably impossible but can anyone take this table and convert it back
> into something editable - open office by preference.
> :(
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:FiveYearPlanFirstdraft.odt-2.pdf&page=1
>

> --
This is PDF 1.3 format.

There are no text strings at all. OCR? Or just ask somebody to re-type
it. It will be quicker.

Gordo

Re: anyone with super powers?

Richard Symonds-3
All sorted now folks! Thanks for your help :-)

Richard Symonds
Office&  Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 207 065 0992
--
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,

On 03/04/12 20:10, Thehelpfulone wrote:
> It's not easy I'm afraid - I've run it through a couple of automatic
> converters, but the PDF format is horrible such that each individual
> letter is made up of more than one graph bit, where as a "proper" pdf
> would be each letter is only one graphic. Unless someone else has some
> elite super powers, it looks like it'll need a manual re-create if you
> can't find the original...
The PDF in question is version 1.3

There is a new version, 1.7, which is a standard and there is a
Wikipedia article about it. It tends to keep the "text" embedded in the
PDF file.

Gordo