ask maps city names

Christian Wagner
Hello everyone!

How can I use #ask to display city names?
I have set up an example [0] to show city names from a category on a
map. The map works fine when I add the names manually but does not work
with ask.
Can you please help me to display entries from the category 'City' in a map?

Thank you in advance!

Christian Wagner

[0] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps_examples/CityNames

Re: ask maps city names

kghbln
Heiya Christian,

you also need a printout statement and not just a query contition.
Adding |?Has coordinates did the trick. I guess this is what you were
asking for.

Cheers Karsten

Am 31.03.2017 um 11:00 schrieb Christian Wagner:

> Hello everyone!
>
> How can I use #ask to display city names?
> I have set up an example [0] to show city names from a category on a
> map. The map works fine when I add the names manually but does not work
> with ask.
> Can you please help me to display entries from the category 'City' in a map?
>

> Thank you in advance!
>
> Christian Wagner
>

> [0] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps_examples/CityNames

Re: ask maps city names

Christian Wagner
Dear Karsten,

thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I've added another
query to include a printout statement for a property that contains city
names.
But again, no map is displayed.

I'm looking for a possibility to display city names on a map. I don't
have any coordinates in my wiki.

Any tips for this one?

Cheers Christian

Am 31.03.2017 um 16:05 schrieb [[kgh]]:

> Heiya Christian,
>
> you also need a printout statement and not just a query contition.
> Adding |?Has coordinates did the trick. I guess this is what you were
> asking for.
>
> Cheers Karsten
>
> Am 31.03.2017 um 11:00 schrieb Christian Wagner:
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> How can I use #ask to display city names?
>> I have set up an example [0] to show city names from a category on a
>> map. The map works fine when I add the names manually but does not work
>> with ask.
>> Can you please help me to display entries from the category 'City' in a map?
>>

>> Thank you in advance!
>>
>> Christian Wagner
>>

>> [0] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps_examples/CityNames

Re: ask maps city names

kghbln
Heiya Christian,

I believe that the most solid way is to add coordinates to the pages.
You can do this easily using the #geocode parser function. [0] Since I
also added a category to the subobject of the example it also shows up
in the map. The geo result format require coordinates to show information.

Cheers Karsten

[0]
https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Person%3AMark&type=revision&diff=5962&oldid=3975

Am 31.03.2017 um 16:20 schrieb Christian Wagner:

> Dear Karsten,
>
> thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I've added another
> query to include a printout statement for a property that contains city
> names.
> But again, no map is displayed.
>
> I'm looking for a possibility to display city names on a map. I don't
> have any coordinates in my wiki.
>
> Any tips for this one?
>

> Cheers Christian
>

> Am 31.03.2017 um 16:05 schrieb [[kgh]]:
>> Heiya Christian,
>>
>> you also need a printout statement and not just a query contition.
>> Adding |?Has coordinates did the trick. I guess this is what you were
>> asking for.
>>
>> Cheers Karsten
>>
>> Am 31.03.2017 um 11:00 schrieb Christian Wagner:
>>> Hello everyone!
>>>
>>> How can I use #ask to display city names?
>>> I have set up an example [0] to show city names from a category on a
>>> map. The map works fine when I add the names manually but does not work
>>> with ask.
>>> Can you please help me to display entries from the category 'City' in a map?
>>>

>>> Thank you in advance!
>>>
>>> Christian Wagner
>>>

>>> [0] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps_examples/CityNames

Re: ask maps city names

Christian Wagner
Dear Karsten,

thank you very much for telling me about the #geocode parser function. I
knew nothing about this before. Following your suggestion seems to work
very well so far.

While testing, I discovered an interesting effect. When several
identical geographic coordinates are drawn to a map, only one result is
shown:
I have set up an example [0] printing all coordinates in 'Has
coordinates' [1] to a map.

52° 31' 0", 13° 24' 0" occurs seven times in [1]. Only One result
(Berlin) is printed on the map [0].

Which one wins? Is there an option to display all results?

Cheers Christian

[0]
https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps_examples/CityNames#basic_query_by_property
[1] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Attribut:Has_coordinates

Am 31.03.2017 um 16:42 schrieb [[kgh]]:

> Heiya Christian,
>
> I believe that the most solid way is to add coordinates to the pages.
> You can do this easily using the #geocode parser function. [0] Since I
> also added a category to the subobject of the example it also shows up
> in the map. The geo result format require coordinates to show information.
>
> Cheers Karsten
>
> [0]
> https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Person%3AMark&type=revision&diff=5962&oldid=3975
>
> Am 31.03.2017 um 16:20 schrieb Christian Wagner:
>> Dear Karsten,
>>
>> thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I've added another
>> query to include a printout statement for a property that contains city
>> names.
>> But again, no map is displayed.
>>
>> I'm looking for a possibility to display city names on a map. I don't
>> have any coordinates in my wiki.
>>
>> Any tips for this one?
>>

>> Cheers Christian
>>

>> Am 31.03.2017 um 16:05 schrieb [[kgh]]:
>>> Heiya Christian,
>>>
>>> you also need a printout statement and not just a query contition.
>>> Adding |?Has coordinates did the trick. I guess this is what you were
>>> asking for.
>>>
>>> Cheers Karsten

Re: ask maps city names

kghbln
Heiya Christian,

cool, great that the suggestion was of help.

 >While testing, I discovered an interesting effect. When several
identical geographic coordinates are drawn to a map, only one result is
shown:

This is a known issue [2] and I'm afraid that I cannot answer for sure.
I guess that it will pick the result in natural order depending on the
name of the subject (page), e.g. Berlin 1 before Berlin 2.

Cheers Karsten

[2] https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/Maps/issues/39

Am 04.04.2017 um 16:26 schrieb Christian Wagner:

> Dear Karsten,
>
> thank you very much for telling me about the #geocode parser function. I
> knew nothing about this before. Following your suggestion seems to work
> very well so far.
>
> While testing, I discovered an interesting effect. When several
> identical geographic coordinates are drawn to a map, only one result is
> shown:
> I have set up an example [0] printing all coordinates in 'Has
> coordinates' [1] to a map.
>
> 52° 31' 0", 13° 24' 0" occurs seven times in [1]. Only One result
> (Berlin) is printed on the map [0].
>
> Which one wins? Is there an option to display all results?
>

> Cheers Christian
>

> [0]
> https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps_examples/CityNames#basic_query_by_property
> [1] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Attribut:Has_coordinates
>

> Am 31.03.2017 um 16:42 schrieb [[kgh]]:
>> Heiya Christian,
>>
>> I believe that the most solid way is to add coordinates to the pages.
>> You can do this easily using the #geocode parser function. [0] Since I
>> also added a category to the subobject of the example it also shows up
>> in the map. The geo result format require coordinates to show information.
>>
>> Cheers Karsten
>>
>> [0]
>> https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Person%3AMark&type=revision&diff=5962&oldid=3975
>>
>> Am 31.03.2017 um 16:20 schrieb Christian Wagner:
>>> Dear Karsten,
>>>
>>> thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I've added another
>>> query to include a printout statement for a property that contains city
>>> names.
>>> But again, no map is displayed.
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a possibility to display city names on a map. I don't
>>> have any coordinates in my wiki.
>>>
>>> Any tips for this one?
>>>

>>> Cheers Christian

Re: ask maps city names

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

 >While testing, I discovered an interesting effect. When several
> identical geographic coordinates are drawn to a map, only one result is
> shown:
>
> This is a known issue [2] and I'm afraid that I cannot answer for sure.
> I guess that it will pick the result in natural order depending on the
> name of the subject (page), e.g. Berlin 1 before Berlin 2.

I've just closed that issues as AFAIK this is fully solved by the
markercluster support Maps has had for some time now. See the updated
example on the sandbox:
https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Locations

For a list of all parameters see
https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Leaflet_format

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw | https://entropywins.wtf | https://keybase.io/jeroendedauw
Software craftsmanship advocate | Developer at Wikimedia Germany