become user as admin

Florian Effenberger-3
Hello,

for a wiki I administer, it's sometimes desirable for admins to work
as another user, either by

- "becoming" the user without having to manually login (sudo-like behaviour),
- or manually changing the username in the page history on newly
created or modified pages

so it looks like another user edited the page rather than the admin.

I wasn't able to find an extension that does so. Is that possible with
MediaWiki?

Thanks
Florian

Re: become user as admin

Platonides
Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for a wiki I administer, it's sometimes desirable for admins to work
> as another user, either by
>
> - "becoming" the user without having to manually login (sudo-like behaviour),
> - or manually changing the username in the page history on newly
> created or modified pages
>
> so it looks like another user edited the page rather than the admin.
>
> I wasn't able to find an extension that does so. Is that possible with
> MediaWiki?
>
> Thanks
> Florian

No. Why would you want to do it?

Re: become user as admin

Florian Effenberger-3
Hi,

> No. Why would you want to do it?

for "ghostwriting" on behalf of other users. The admin of one of my
wikis asked me. I agree it's quite unusual, but if there's a solution
-- other than writing my own little script to exchange user's
passwords "on the fly" -- let me know. :)

Florian

Re: become user as admin

Platonides
Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> No. Why would you want to do it?
>
> for "ghostwriting" on behalf of other users. The admin of one of my
> wikis asked me. I agree it's quite unusual, but if there's a solution
> -- other than writing my own little script to exchange user's
> passwords "on the fly" -- let me know. :)
>
> Florian

So, the admin wants to make it look like someone else wrote a text that
in fact he didn't? Doesn't look a good idea :)
On any sensible community the admin would be able to write the text with
its account saying after signing / in the comment "On behalf of user X
who asked me during lunch to write this."
Instead of changing passwords, you could write the script to change
attribution for the edit.

Re: become user as admin

Angela-5
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for a wiki I administer, it's sometimes desirable for admins to work
> as another user,

Try Special:Piggyback
The code for it is here:
https://svn.wikia-code.com/wikia/trunk/extensions/wikia/Piggyback/

Angela

Re: become user as admin

oscar-45
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:43 AM, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > for a wiki I administer, it's sometimes desirable for admins to work
> > as another user,
>
> Try Special:Piggyback
> The code for it is here:
> https://svn.wikia-code.com/wikia/trunk/extensions/wikia/Piggyback/
>
> Angela

it sounds like a can of worms to me though.
if you can no longer trust the history of contributors, where would
transparency, trustwortyness of attribution (and attribution rights) go, or
responsibility and accountability in a corporate environment?

is this extension when installed visible in [[Special:Version]] ?
are there any open wikis you know of that use it?

oscar

--
*edito ergo sum*

******************
The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally
privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return

Re: become user as admin

Angela-5
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM, oscar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Try Special:Piggyback
> is this extension when installed visible in [[Special:Version]] ?
> are there any open wikis you know of that use it?

It does show in Special:Version. There's also a private log (viewable
by the same people that can use the extension) on the wiki showing who
logged in as who. It's used on Wikia to track down bugs. For example,
if someone says they can't edit, you can log in as them and work out
why.

Angela

Re: become user as admin

Florian Effenberger-3
Hello Angela,

> Try Special:Piggyback
> The code for it is here:
> https://svn.wikia-code.com/wikia/trunk/extensions/wikia/Piggyback/

thanks a lot, that's exactly what I've been looking for! However, it
doesn't seem to work for me. I downloaded all of the files and added
this to my LocalSettings.php:

require_once("extensions/Piggyback/Piggyback.php");
$wgGroupPermissions['piggyback']['piggyback'] = true;

After giving my user the piggyback group, I can see the special page,
but it doesn't work. No matter what I enter - even if the username
does not exist or is left blank - the form is loaded again. Did I do
something wrong?

Thanks
Florian