board candidacies

Florence Devouard-3
Hello all,

Being back from Wikimania, I have a look at the list of candidates and
here is what I see:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Election_candidates_2006

I'd like to make a very serious appeal for candidates.
I would hate to discourage some of you, but rather to be frank.

Being on the board is not a game.
It is not about changing the policies on the english wikipedia.
It is not about improving welcome templates for newbies on wikipedia either.
And it is not even about pushing the use of the german userboxes.

What we need (desperately need) is people who understand what the
Foundation is, what our needs are, where the challenges are located.

I listed some of the challenges in my presentation at Wikimania;
(http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:FD1). I have no
idea when the audio will be accessible, but I think any candidate should
at least have a look/ear to it.

What would be best are people who already know and participate to
Wikimedia Foundation issue. I could cite dozen, many of whom were at
wikimania. A couple candidated, but I also know they are controversial
so might end up not being in the top.

I would like that non english editors take the chance to run. Not being
english is certainly an handicap due to the huge number of english
voters. Naturally, if you are mostly known in one community, you'll get
a disadvantage. But if you are also a meta participant, the word can be
disseminated that you are a high quality person. Because meta people
know you and can tell about you in the local communities. You have a
chance !

I will not hide the fact that being on the board is highly frustrating.
It is a lot of work. It costs personal money. It is little rewarded. It
carries its generous load of humiliation.

But... if you care about the projects, if you care about their future,
if you care about giving a chance to the content to stay free for real,
if you care about the risk of being "adopted" by a commercial firm, if
you care about the risk of seeing the freedom being reduced to protect
what is merely a legal entity, if you care about us being an
international entity rather than being a pure american business and
professional foundation, please, do help.

Please.

Re: board candidacies

Florence Devouard-3
A minor point

But for Arno, absolutely all discussion pages for board candidacies on
the english wikipedia.

What are the implications in terms of international representation AND
in terms of project representation ?

ant

Re: board candidacies

jmerkey-3
Anthere wrote:

>A minor point
>
>But for Arno, absolutely all discussion pages for board candidacies on
>the english wikipedia.
>
>What are the implications in terms of international representation AND
>in terms of project representation ?

Where do the translations go for the candidates for discussion pages? I
assume these are left in English.

I have stopped translating the lower candidate statements for Cherokee
since I noticed the short list is out of sync with
the main list since a lot of folks have submitted and gotten pulled
before making the top list. Is the top list the approved candidates?
I have translated these into Cherokee (and one from German into English).

Thanks

Jeff

>ant

Re: board candidacies

jd-47
Jeff V. Merkey a écrit :

> Anthere wrote:
>
>> A minor point
>>
>> But for Arno, absolutely all discussion pages for board candidacies on
>> the english wikipedia.
>>
>> What are the implications in terms of international representation AND
>> in terms of project representation ?
>>

> Where do the translations go for the candidates for discussion pages? I
> assume these are left in English.
>
> I have stopped translating the lower candidate statements for Cherokee
> since I noticed the short list is out of sync with
> the main list since a lot of folks have submitted and gotten pulled
> before making the top list. Is the top list the approved candidates?
> I have translated these into Cherokee (and one from German into English).
I am currently working on that, basically creating a templates-based
system which will make the translation process easier AND allow for
discussions on Meta, not on en: or any other local wiki. Let me one or
two hours to get all this done and alive :)

Re: board candidacies

jmerkey-3
Jean-Denis Vauguet wrote:

>Jeff V. Merkey a écrit :
>

>>Anthere wrote:
>>

>>>A minor point
>>>
>>>But for Arno, absolutely all discussion pages for board candidacies on
>>>the english wikipedia.
>>>
>>>What are the implications in terms of international representation AND
>>>in terms of project representation ?
>>>

>>Where do the translations go for the candidates for discussion pages? I
>>assume these are left in English.
>>
>>I have stopped translating the lower candidate statements for Cherokee
>>since I noticed the short list is out of sync with
>>the main list since a lot of folks have submitted and gotten pulled
>>before making the top list. Is the top list the approved candidates?
>>I have translated these into Cherokee (and one from German into English).
>>

>I am currently working on that, basically creating a templates-based
>system which will make the translation process easier AND allow for
>discussions on Meta, not on en: or any other local wiki. Let me one or
>two hours to get all this done and alive :)

OK.  I'll get the stuff translated after you get it where you think it
needs to be.

Jeff

Re: board candidacies

Anthony DiPierro
On 8/10/06, Anthere <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A minor point
>
> But for Arno, absolutely all discussion pages for board candidacies on
> the english wikipedia.
>
> What are the implications in terms of international representation AND
> in terms of project representation ?
>
> ant

Internationally, it means that countries where the English languages
is widespread are probably going to have a greater representation.
Changing this would be likely be extremely difficult and/or expensive.
 And it's somewhat of a catch-22: Wikimedia probably won't have very
much representation from non-English speakers until it's easy for
Wikimedians of different languages to communicate with each other, but
until Wikimedia has more representation from non-English speakers
translation issues will probably remain a relatively low priority.

As for project representation, I don't think board members should be
representing individual projects in the first place.  Wikipedia is by
far the largest and most successful project, so it doesn't surprise me
that board candidates use that project for their discussion pages.

Anthony

Re: board candidacies

Anthony DiPierro
On 8/10/06, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As for project representation, I don't think board members should be
> representing individual projects in the first place.  Wikipedia is by
> far the largest and most successful project, so it doesn't surprise me
> that board candidates use that project for their discussion pages.

By the way, I also think this has a lot to do with the fact that this
election appears to be a winner-takes-all election of a single seat
(*).  Having representatives from different languages/projects doesn't
make sense when there are only two elected members.

Almost all the discussion on this very list takes place in English.  I
don't know what percentage of people who discuss on this list
participate primarily on Wikipedia, but I'd guess it's at least a
simple majority.  Changing that, I believe, would require a major
overhaul of the entire organizational structure of Wikimedia.  But I
suppose I shouldn't make such comments without first knowing what that
percentage really is.

(*) Although, it says on the election page "at least one" seat.

Re: board candidacies

Delphine Ménard
On 8/10/06, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 8/10/06, Anthere <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Internationally, it means that countries where the English languages
> is widespread are probably going to have a greater representation.
> Changing this would be likely be extremely difficult and/or expensive.
>  And it's somewhat of a catch-22: Wikimedia probably won't have very
> much representation from non-English speakers until it's easy for
> Wikimedians of different languages to communicate with each other, but
> until Wikimedia has more representation from non-English speakers
> translation issues will probably remain a relatively low priority.
>
> As for project representation, I don't think board members should be
> representing individual projects in the first place.  Wikipedia is by
> far the largest and most successful project, so it doesn't surprise me
> that board candidates use that project for their discussion pages.

I think you are missing the point entirely.
What we are asking is for this election to be representative of the
Wiki*m*edia community in its entirety, ie. all languages and all
projects. Being on the board of the Wikimedia Foundation as Florence
pointed out, does not mean changing policies in the English Wikipedia,
no more than in Wikisource or the Chinese Wikipedia for that matter.
It means seeing the greater vision, understanding, or be ready to
understand what's at stake in all projects and all languages, making
sure the projects are able to flourish regardless of their size or
fame in the outside world. It means taking the right decisions as to
where Wikimedia will use the money it has, the right decision on which
partners to choose so as to allow to pursue our mission, ie. support
free and open knowledge and access to information.

A good wikipedian or wikisourcian does not automatically make a good
board member. And vice versa. We are not electing people on the basis
of their number of edits or their influence in the projects, but
rather on a program they might have concerning the organisation, to
structure it, better it and make it realize its potential while
keeping in mind its real responsibilities.

I sincerely hope that the international and cross project community
will get organized and vote on this election, so as to balance the
natural weight of the English Wikipedia and make sure that the person
elected on the board has the skills necessary to the position.Whether
they are or not from the English Wikipedia is indeed, irrelevant.

Delphine
--
~notafish

Re: board candidacies

Delphine Ménard
On 8/10/06, Anthere <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I listed some of the challenges in my presentation at Wikimania;
> (http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:FD1). I have no
> idea when the audio will be accessible, but I think any candidate should
> at least have a look/hear to it.

http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Archives#Florence_Devouard:_Wikimedia_Foundation:_building_in_diversity

It's here.

Delphine
--
~notafish

Re: board candidacies

valdelli@bluemail.ch
I completely agree,
when I have seen the candidatures, I have had this first feeling:
"a lot of candidates only english speaking (with a little knowledge
of another language)".

The board should have a good communication and should be
representative...  this don't mean that the members should be
polyglot, but these are little signs... how many languages has got
Wikipedia? Why?

Ilario

On 8/10/06, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 8/10/06, Anthere <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Internationally, it means that countries where the English
languages
> is widespread are probably going to have a greater
representation.
> Changing this would be likely be extremely difficult and/or
expensive.
>  And it's somewhat of a catch-22: Wikimedia probably won't have
very
> much representation from non-English speakers until it's easy
for
> Wikimedians of different languages to communicate with each
other, but
> until Wikimedia has more representation from non-English
speakers
> translation issues will probably remain a relatively low
priority.

> As for project representation, I don't think board members should
be
> representing individual projects in the first place.  Wikipedia
is by
> far the largest and most successful project, so it doesn't
surprise me
> that board candidates use that project for their discussion
pages.

I think you are missing the point entirely.
What we are asking is for this election to be representative of
the
Wiki*m*edia community in its entirety, ie. all languages and all
projects. Being on the board of the Wikimedia Foundation as
Florence
pointed out, does not mean changing policies in the English
Wikipedia,
no more than in Wikisource or the Chinese Wikipedia for that
matter.
It means seeing the greater vision, understanding, or be ready to
understand what's at stake in all projects and all languages,
making
sure the projects are able to flourish regardless of their size or
fame in the outside world. It means taking the right decisions as
where Wikimedia will use the money it has, the right decision on
which
partners to choose so as to allow to pursue our mission, ie.
support
free and open knowledge and access to information.

Re: board candidacies

Walter van Kalken
I personally feel that one of the big issues is that people are required
to spend their own money for things. This means that if you life outside
of the US, even outside of Florida that your costs will be prohibitively
high. I personally find that one of the most prohibitive requirements.
Many people whom would have the time and the enthousiasm do not have a
bankaccount for that. And that is one of the reasons I have a lot of
respect for Angela and Anthere. They are willing to spend their personal
savings for the betterment of the projects. People should realize that
the next time they start complaining with them.

Walter

On 8/10/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I sincerely hope that the international and cross project community
> will get organized and vote on this election, so as to balance the
> natural weight of the English Wikipedia and make sure that the person
> elected on the board has the skills necessary to the position.Whether
> they are or not from the English Wikipedia is indeed, irrelevant.

If it's irrelevant, then why is it being brought up?

With only one seat up for grabs, I don't really think it matters what
project the board member winds up spending most of his or her time on.

As for whether or not they speak English, I frankly don't think it's
possible for someone who doesn't read and write English well to be an
effective board member - unless maybe they have the money to hire
their own personal translator.

Anthony

Re: board candidacies

Walter Vermeir-2
Delphine Ménard schreef:

> On 8/10/06, Anthere <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I listed some of the challenges in my presentation at Wikimania;
>> (http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:FD1). I have no
>> idea when the audio will be accessible, but I think any candidate should
>> at least have a look/hear to it.
>
> http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Archives#Florence_Devouard:_Wikimedia_Foundation:_building_in_diversity
>
> It's here.
>
> Delphine

And this is a compilation from the board discussion and a very large
part of the presentaton of Anthere with parts that is about the board
and the elections.

http://tinyurl.com/rdnxu - Ogg Vorbis 11,9Mb 32min
http://tinyurl.com/s2j66 - Webbased Player playing the same file

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community

board candidacies

erikzachte
Walter van Kalken:
> I personally feel that one of the big issues is that people are required
> to spend their own money for things. This means that if you life outside
> of the US, even outside of Florida that your costs will be prohibitively
> high. I personally find that one of the most prohibitive requirements.
> Many people whom would have the time and the enthousiasm do not have a
> bankaccount for that. And that is one of the reasons I have a lot of
> respect for Angela and Anthere. They are willing to spend their personal
> savings for the betterment of the projects. People should realize that
> the next time they start complaining with them.

I concur with this entirely. We have enough dot com millionaires on the
Board, and the Advisory Board might add some.
This is not personal to anyone, those concerned probably just got their
priorities right.

What 'saddens' me however is the way Anthere was treated during the Board
session last Sunday when the issue of paying board members was brought up.
Jimbo made a casual remark to the effect of "(I'm not sure) we want to pay
board members, besides it is not allowed by the bylaws" (paraphrasing here).
Easy to say in his position. Then someone made a witty but badly timed joke
about the situation, the chairman of the Board might have intervened at that
moment. I feel it was humiliating for Anthere. Maybe the bylaws allow other
board members than Jimmy to accept well paid invitations for keynote
speeches?

Erik Zachte

Re: board candidacies

Jimmy Wales
Erik Zachte wrote:
> I concur with this entirely. We have enough dot com millionaires on the
> Board, and the Advisory Board might add some.

? We do not have any dot com millionaires on the board.
> What 'saddens' me however is the way Anthere was treated during the Board
> session last Sunday when the issue of paying board members was brought up.
> Jimbo made a casual remark to the effect of "(I'm not sure) we want to pay
> board members, besides it is not allowed by the bylaws" (paraphrasing here).

Well, it is not allowed, not just by our bylaws as I understand it, but
by the law.  This is not a matter of anyone treating Anthere in any bad way.

She mentioned specific expenses, expenses which the foundation can and
should reimburse.  She should request reimbursement for those.

--Jimbo

Re: board candidacies

daniwo59

I am confused by this thread. It is starting with false assumptions (Board
members are required to spend their own money for things) and builds on that to
 create further false assumptions (we have enough dot com millionaires on the
 Board).

To the best of my knowledge:
1. The expenses of Board members relating to Foundation work are covered by
the Foundation. They do not come from the individual Board members' "personal
savings."
2. We currently have no dot com millionaires on the Board.
3. Paying Board members for Board-related activities can be perceived  as a
potential conflict of interests.
4. In many non-profit organizations in the US--but not the WMF--Board
membership is actually contingent upon making a significant donation to the
organization.

Please get the facts right when complaining about the Board and its  members.

Danny

Walter van Kalken wrote:
>  I personally feel that one of the big issues is that people are
>  required to spend their own money for things.

Board members are not required to spend their own money for things.  I
am unaware of any board member ever being turned down for reimbursement
of any expenses.

>  This means that if you life outside of the US, even outside of
>  Florida that your costs will be prohibitively high. I personally find
>  that one of the most prohibitive requirements. Many people whom would
>  have the time and the enthousiasm do not have a bankaccount for that.
>  And that is one of the reasons I have a lot of respect for Angela and
>  Anthere. They are willing to spend their personal savings for the
>  betterment of the projects. People should realize that the next time
>  they start complaining with them.

Absolutely right!  They have not been required to spend their own money
for things, but in many cases they have (as I have).

--Jimbo

Re: board candidacies

Walter van Kalken
I am pretty damn sure there was a version which mentioned the
requirement to be able to spend money yourself. I am going through the
revision history's later to see where it was.

Waerth

>I am confused by this thread. It is starting with false assumptions (Board
>members are required to spend their own money for things) and builds on that to
> create further false assumptions (we have enough dot com millionaires on the
> Board).
>
>To the best of my knowledge:
>1. The expenses of Board members relating to Foundation work are covered by
>the Foundation. They do not come from the individual Board members' "personal
>savings."
>2. We currently have no dot com millionaires on the Board.
>3. Paying Board members for Board-related activities can be perceived  as a
>potential conflict of interests.
>4. In many non-profit organizations in the US--but not the WMF--Board
>membership is actually contingent upon making a significant donation to the
>organization.
>
>Please get the facts right when complaining about the Board and its  members.
>
>Danny
>

>In a message dated 8/11/2006 1:25:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[hidden email] writes:
>
>Walter  van Kalken:
>

>>I personally feel that one of the big issues is that  people are required
>>to spend their own money for things. This means  that if you life outside
>>of the US, even outside of Florida that your  costs will be prohibitively
>>high. I personally find that one of the  most prohibitive requirements.
>>Many people whom would have the time  and the enthousiasm do not have a
>>bankaccount for that. And that is  one of the reasons I have a lot of
>>respect for Angela and Anthere.  They are willing to spend their personal
>>savings for the betterment of  the projects. People should realize that
>>the next time they start  complaining with them.
>>

>I concur with this entirely. We have enough dot  com millionaires on the
>Board, and the Advisory Board might add  some.
>This is not personal to anyone, those concerned probably just got  their
>priorities right.
>
>What 'saddens' me however is the way Anthere  was treated during the Board
>session last Sunday when the issue of paying  board members was brought up.
>Jimbo made a casual remark to the effect of  "(I'm not sure) we want to pay
>board members, besides it is not allowed by  the bylaws" (paraphrasing here).
>Easy to say in his position. Then someone  made a witty but badly timed joke
>about the situation, the chairman of the  Board might have intervened at that
>moment. I feel it was humiliating for  Anthere. Maybe the bylaws allow other
>board members than Jimmy to accept  well paid invitations for keynote
>speeches?
>
>Erik  Zachte

Re: board candidacies

Anthony DiPierro
> > What 'saddens' me however is the way Anthere was treated during the Board
> > session last Sunday when the issue of paying board members was brought up.
> > Jimbo made a casual remark to the effect of "(I'm not sure) we want to pay
> > board members, besides it is not allowed by the bylaws" (paraphrasing here).
> >
> Well, it is not allowed, not just by our bylaws as I understand it, but
> by the law.  This is not a matter of anyone treating Anthere in any bad way.

Nonprofit directors can legally be compensated, barring rules (such as
bylaws) to the contrary.  Not that this is a good idea.

http://www.legalzoom.com/law_library/non-profit/Directors-and-Officers-of-the-Non-Profit-Corp.html

Anthony

Re: board candidacies

Brad Patrick
The issue of board reimbursements for legitimate expenses is being
discussed.  There is a difference between asking people to be reimbursed
for costs and being paid a salary for being a board member.  If your
life circumstances are such that you can make ends meet, the most
demanding issue for your involvement in Wikimedia issues is time, not
money.  Moving forward, based on the board's improving financial
stability, the issue raised by Anthere will not be as significant a
problem, if not eradicated completely.