browser microphone audio upload gadgets?

browser microphone audio upload gadgets?

James Salsman-2
Is there a standard MediaWiki audio recorder, e.g. something from
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/MediaStream_Recording_API#See_also
which is working in some javascript gadget?

My 2017 Google Summer of Code student made one for Wiktionary, but I'm
not sure whether it is still working:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Euhu4Q7HF4&t=38m

It's based on less cross-platform technology than
https://www.npmjs.com/package/react-mic

What is the MediaWiki state of the art for cross-platform microphone
audio upload?

Re: browser microphone audio upload gadgets?

Andre Klapper-2
On Sat, 2019-07-06 at 21:31 -0700, James Salsman wrote:
> Is there a standard MediaWiki audio recorder, e.g. something from
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/MediaStream_Recording_API#See_also
> which is working in some javascript gadget?

AFAIK no.

> My 2017 Google Summer of Code student made one for Wiktionary, but
> I'm
> not sure whether it is still working:
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Euhu4Q7HF4&t=38m

Where to find the recorder of your student?

> It's based on less cross-platform technology than
> https://www.npmjs.com/package/react-mic

Also see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T166929 and
https://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Record_and_upload_sound_clips_in_web_application
which you've commented on.

> What is the MediaWiki state of the art for cross-platform microphone
> audio upload?

For the records, a speech-to-text gadget for WikiEditor exists at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Urvaxhi/speechToText.js and e.g.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16413063/html5-record-audio-to-file
might provide you some hints that you could experiment with.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: browser microphone audio upload gadgets?

Lucas Werkmeister
The LinguaLibra project <https://lingualibre.fr/wiki/LinguaLibre:Main_Page>
built the RecordWizard <https://github.com/lingua-libre/RecordWizard>
extension to record many pronunciation audio clips in-browser – it’s a bit
more specialized than a general audio recorder, but might still be useful
to you.

Am Mo., 8. Juli 2019 um 12:00 Uhr schrieb Andre Klapper <
[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, 2019-07-06 at 21:31 -0700, James Salsman wrote:
> > Is there a standard MediaWiki audio recorder, e.g. something from
> >
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/MediaStream_Recording_API#See_also
> > which is working in some javascript gadget?
>
> AFAIK no.
>
> > My 2017 Google Summer of Code student made one for Wiktionary, but
> > I'm
> > not sure whether it is still working:
> > http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Euhu4Q7HF4&t=38m
>
> Where to find the recorder of your student?
>
> > It's based on less cross-platform technology than
> > https://www.npmjs.com/package/react-mic
>
> Also see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T166929 and
>
> https://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Record_and_upload_sound_clips_in_web_application
> which you've commented on.
>
> > What is the MediaWiki state of the art for cross-platform microphone
> > audio upload?
>
> For the records, a speech-to-text gadget for WikiEditor exists at
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Urvaxhi/speechToText.js and e.g.
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16413063/html5-record-audio-to-file
> might provide you some hints that you could experiment with.
>
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Lucas Werkmeister (he/er)
Full Stack Developer

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
https://wikimedia.de

sum of all knowledge. Help us to achieve our vision!
https://spenden.wikimedia.de