couldn't connect to database

Paul Sanderson
I ahve searched through the archives and have not managed to find a
solution to this yet.

I am just in the process of moving my wiki to a new server. Everything
ran fine on the old box but when I install on the new one I get the
following.

MediaWiki 1.5.6 installation
Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.

Checking environment...
PHP 5.0.2: ok
PHP server API is cgi-fcgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator are installed, can't use object
caching functions
GNU diff3 not found.
Couldn't find GD library or ImageMagick; image thumbnailing disabled.
Installation directory: D:\home\Default\xxxxxxxxxxx.com\htdocs\wiki
Script URI path: /wiki
Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand().
Consider changing it manually.
PHP is linked with old MySQL client libraries. If you are using a
MySQL 4.1 server and have problems connecting to the database, see
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html for help.
Connecting to sf on localhost as root...failed with error 1251: Client
does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider
upgrading MySQL client.
Something's not quite right yet; make sure everything below is filled
out correctly.

and then further down

Database config
MySQL server  Couldn't connect to database

I have seen a post that suggets upgrading PHP so I tried 5.1.2 but
this broke so many other things that I don't think it is worth it.

I have also seen various posts reagrding authentication and I have
done the set password thing in MySQL - this didn't help either.

Anyone have any ideas how I can take this forward?

Fwd: couldn't connect to database

--
Paul Sanderson
Sanderson Forensics