de:wp to be made into a book

David Gerard-2
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/200653,wikipedia-to-be-converted-to-a-book-in-germany.html

Basically, they're taking the first paragraph or lead section of
50,000 or so articles to make into a 1000-page concise desk
encyclopedia.

This is why the lead summary of articles is *vastly* important. It
must be a complete standalone short article in itself.

By pushing this stylistic rule on en:wp, we can make it a better
encyclopedia and more reusable for those without internet connections.

- d.

Re: de:wp to be made into a book

Majorly

> Basically, they're taking the first paragraph or lead section of
> 50,000 or so articles to make into a 1000-page concise desk
> encyclopedia.

If we were to do this, I'd only consider featured articles, and possibly
good articles. I'm sure there's not 50000 of them.

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

Re: de:wp to be made into a book

David Gerard-2
On 22/04/2008, Majorly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 22/04/2008, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > Basically, they're taking the first paragraph or lead section of
>  > 50,000 or so articles to make into a 1000-page concise desk
>  > encyclopedia.

> If we were to do this, I'd only consider featured articles, and possibly
>  good articles. I'm sure there's not 50000 of them.

I think all of our articles could benefit from that - and provide a
better service to the reader - if we can somehow make it into a habit.
de:wp can manage it, we can.

- d.