default protection level of new pages / files

default protection level of new pages / files

Florian Knorn
Hi there !

How can I auto-protect pages when they are created? I.e. I want all
newly created pages to have a specific protection level by default...
how can I do this?

Thanks for your help and best regards,

Florian
Fxp

Re: default protection level of new pages / files

Fxp
Florian Knorn a écrit :
> Hi there !
>
> How can I auto-protect pages when they are created? I.e. I want all
> newly created pages to have a specific protection level by default...
> how can I do this?
>
> Thanks for your help and best regards,
>
> Florian

Your question is not clear: you can set the protection on pages using a
few ways, and this will apply from the beginning = their creation.

I guess you already know about user rights and protection in mediawiki,
but as it seems that nobody has yet answered your post, I give a few links:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:User_rights
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Setting_user_rights_in_MediaWiki

don't forget to have a look at the Talk paged of these articles: often,
you will find experiences and tips on how users founds solutions to
specific problems (for example, how to protect a specific namespace)

Do post again, explaining what the specificity of the protection is if
you need more advice... and **do** give the version of your mediawiki.
Some solutions only apply since 1.6 1.7 or 1.8.

Hope it helps

François

Re: default protection level of new pages / files

Florian Knorn
Hey FxParlant,

thank you for your reply -- sorry for being unclear.

Using Mediawiki 1.8.2, I'm talking about the [Protect] tab at the top of
a page. When somebody creates a page, the page is not protected (the tab
is labeled "Protect"). When I then go in there, non of the protection
levels is selected (i.e. the page is unprotected). I can then select a
specific level in the list and save and all is good (the page is
protected, on-page edit links disappear etc.)

What I want is that all newly created pages are automatically protect
with one of the levels...

Hope this made things more clear, thanks for supporting me on this,

Florian :-)

FxParlant wrote:

> Florian Knorn a écrit :
>> Hi there !
>>
>> How can I auto-protect pages when they are created? I.e. I want all
>> newly created pages to have a specific protection level by default...
>> how can I do this?
>>
>> Thanks for your help and best regards,
>>
>> Florian
>
> Your question is not clear: you can set the protection on pages using a
> few ways, and this will apply from the beginning = their creation.
>
> I guess you already know about user rights and protection in mediawiki,
> but as it seems that nobody has yet answered your post, I give a few links:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:User_rights
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Setting_user_rights_in_MediaWiki
>
> don't forget to have a look at the Talk paged of these articles: often,
> you will find experiences and tips on how users founds solutions to
> specific problems (for example, how to protect a specific namespace)
>
> Do post again, explaining what the specificity of the protection is if
> you need more advice... and **do** give the version of your mediawiki.
> Some solutions only apply since 1.6 1.7 or 1.8.
>
> Hope it helps
>
> François

Re: default protection level of new pages / files

Florian Knorn
Ok, managed to do it myself (I'm getting better, hehe :-))

In case somebody finds this useful, here is my semi-quick&dirty solution:

1. In your LocalSettings.php create a variable
      $wgDefaultProtectionLevel = array( 'edit' => 'mitarbeiter',
                                               'move' => 'mitarbeiter');
   ... where you should replace 'mitarbeiter' by the specific level you
   want / need.

2. In includes/Article.php find the insertNewArticle function (for me it
   [with MediaWiki 1.8.2] it was around line 1100...), and add the
   following code to the end of the function (but, of course, before the
   doRedirect command):

   /* default protection level hack */
   global $wgDefaultProtectionLevel;

   $ok = $this->updateRestrictions( $wgDefaultProtectionLevel,
                                                    'Initial protect' );
   if( !$ok ) {
      throw new FatalError( "Unknown error at restriction save time." );
   }
   /*  end default protection level hack */

There you go, new pages should now automatically be protected with the
levels you chose in the LocalSettings...

Cheers everyone,

Florian :-)