don't make the other person feel they have no business there

don't make the other person feel they have no business there

Kathleen McCook
Well, it's simple. Be polite and non-confrontational and don't make the new
contributor feel they have no business trying.
 Wikipedians are only about 20% female and the world is about 50%...so
there must be some noise on this channel.
Perhaps males have a higher tolerance for confrontation. Seems like that is
the case in life in general. Wikipedia is a choice for use of personal time
and if it is a place that can be (in editors' responses to
contributors) unnecessarily harsh. Fo people invested in a topic the way
Mr. Roth was treated is very telling.

I have taught male and female graduate students for many years. Both make
mistakes. It takes a lot of deliberation to be positively critical. I
generally re-write negative evaluations multiple times before I render them
to a student.Words can cause much pain.

Telling Mr. Roth he wasn't a credible source is the kind of heedless action
I mean. He had access to make his case in the *New Yorker *.  Most of the
world does not.

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 September 2012 22:20, Kathleen McCook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I sense the raised (ironic)  eyebrow in this question and since you know
> > the answer, I need not tell you,
>

> I think it was a genuine question, and one I had too.
>

> - d.

Re: don't make the other person feel they have no business there

Carcharoth
On 9/9/12, Kathleen McCook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, it's simple. Be polite and non-confrontational and don't make the new
> contributor feel they have no business trying.

Good advice. Though quite why a new thread is being started each time,
I'm not sure. I'm trying to be as polite and non-confrontational as
possible, but is there a way to (politely) point out that mailing list
etiquette would suggest a different approach? i.e. constructive
criticism of the form "can we keep most of this in one or two
threads?"

Carcharoth

Re: don't make the other person feel they have no business there

Kathleen McCook
I don't know why either. I will send a research paper citation and stop.
--Kathleen

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Carcharoth <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 9/9/12, Kathleen McCook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Well, it's simple. Be polite and non-confrontational and don't make the
> new
> > contributor feel they have no business trying.
>
> Good advice. Though quite why a new thread is being started each time,
> I'm not sure. I'm trying to be as polite and non-confrontational as
> possible, but is there a way to (politely) point out that mailing list
> etiquette would suggest a different approach? i.e. constructive
> criticism of the form "can we keep most of this in one or two
> threads?"
>
> Carcharoth

Re: don't make the other person feel they have no business there

Nathan Awrich
You just need to stop changing the subject line of your e-mail.

Re: don't make the other person feel they have no business there

Carcharoth
On 9/9/12, Kathleen McCook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know why either.

I think it is because the subject line is being changed each time. In
some e-mail clients that shows up as a new thread each time (other
e-mail clients recognise some other thread identifier, I'm not quite
sure of the mechanics myself).

> I will send a research paper citation and stop.

The research paper citation was interesting. Please don't stop. It
would be good to see more stuff like that discussed (by you and
others) on this mailing list. This mailing list (the wikien-l list)
tends to be a lot quieter than the wikimedia-l mailing list, which can
make for different sorts of discussions.

Carcharoth