donation banner

David Monniaux-2
The problem applies to en: but possibly to others:
The banner for donations should be hidden by CSS for printing.

I don't know which Mediawiki special variable generates this item so I
cannot fix it on en:

Re: donation banner

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I think that the MediaWiki software should be managed with all the projects
in mind and not just for the English language Wikipedia. On one level I can
understand that banners should not be printed, on the other hand it is our
bread and butter. Just assuming that it is wrong to print them is wrong as
well.
Thanks,
         GerardM

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:51 AM, David Monniaux <[hidden email]>wrote:

> The problem applies to en: but possibly to others:
> The banner for donations should be hidden by CSS for printing.
>
> I don't know which Mediawiki special variable generates this item so I
> cannot fix it on en:

Re: donation banner

David Monniaux-2
Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> understand that banners should not be printed, on the other hand it is our
> bread and butter.
I'm talking *printing* not *displaying*. With CSS it's possible to hide
element from the printable version while still displaying them inside
the browser.

Re: donation banner

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I know that this can be done in this way, but my argument still stands.. Why
do you assume that everyone agrees with you ?
Thanks,
      GerardM

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 9:13 AM, David Monniaux <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> > understand that banners should not be printed, on the other hand it is
> our
> > bread and butter.
> I'm talking *printing* not *displaying*. With CSS it's possible to hide
> element from the printable version while still displaying them inside
> the browser.

Re: donation banner

David Monniaux-2
Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> I know that this can be done in this way, but my argument still stands.. Why
> do you assume that everyone agrees with you ?
Well, first of all, it seems that you have not quite read what I said.
Nobody ever discussed altering the MediaWiki software - except you.

I suggest that you take a break.

Re: donation banner

Jim-60
I think his main problem is that you don't understand the question:

He asked "I don't know which Mediawiki special variable generates this item
so I cannot fix it on en:"

Translation: "This is not an edit to the Mediawiki software but a change
that can be made in the namespace Mediawiki - thus he can make it on the
english wikipedia by editing a page, and did not propose to make the change
to other languages, or to the software itself. He said basically, 'I'm going
to be bold and make this change, and iIf the English users disagree it will
be quickly settled the wikiway.' "

Your response: "I think that the MediaWiki software should be managed with
all the projects in mind and not just for the English language Wikipedia. "

Translation: "English users have too much power on Wikipedia and they shall
be opposed at all opportunity, so I won't bother trying to understand what
the question was, and how it totally wouldn't change the Mediawiki software.
I must throw up an objection and accuse the English speaker of being
insensitive because, like all English speakers, he assumes everyone agrees
with him."

Maybe you should READ the request before you respond. And when you realize,
if you actually did realize, that he was talking about a change to a page
rather than a programming change, not continue to promote your view.