edit counts for specific users

Andrea Forte
Hi all - I have poked around on toolserver but I don't seem to see a
tool that generates a list/count of user edits for a particular date range.
Does anyone know if such a tool exists?

i.e.: Show me andicat's edits/stats for july 2005 through september 2007.

(Unless I missed something, none of these do it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_edit_counters)

-andrea

--
 :: Andrea Forte
 :: Assistant Professor

Re: edit counts for specific users

Dario Taraborelli-3
Hi Andrea,

I believe this is data Diederik's editor API should be able to give you, you may want to drop him a line if he is not following this thread.

Dario

On 22 Mar 2011, at 20:47, Andrea Forte wrote:

> Hi all - I have poked around on toolserver but I don't seem to see a
> tool that generates a list/count of user edits for a particular date range.
> Does anyone know if such a tool exists?
>
> i.e.: Show me andicat's edits/stats for july 2005 through september 2007.
>
> (Unless I missed something, none of these do it:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_edit_counters)
>
> -andrea
>

> --
>  :: Andrea Forte
>  :: Assistant Professor
>  :: College of Information Science and Technology, Drexel University
>  :: http://www.andreaforte.net

Re: edit counts for specific users

R.Stuart Geiger
I don't know of any web-based tool, but it seems simple enough to
write.  But for now, scripting or no?  This can be done through the
API, it just takes a single query if if the number of edits is less
than 500 (or 5000 if you're a registered bot or admin).  If it is
more, you need to call the API again and pass a 'continue' parameter
to get the rest of the results, which most of the bot frameworks and
API implementations automatically support.  The basic query is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=usercontribs&ucuser=Andicat&uclimit=5000&ucdir=newer&ucstart=2005-06-01T00:00:01Z&ucend=2007-11-30T23:59:59Z

If you're retrieving it by a script, it should return an array of all
the edits, which you can easily count.  Though you don't need to write
a script to count the number of edits -- you could just copy/paste the
API results from a web browser into Excel or OpenOffice Calc and it
will treat each new line as a new row, so just look at the number of
the last row.  By the way, if you haven't used it, the API is pretty
awesome once you get the hang of it (docs at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API), and I pass parameters to it from a
web browser all the time.

The copy/paste trick also works if you go to Special:Contributions and
manually select, copy, and paste a list of edits.  Before I got into
the world of APIs and scripting, I did this far too often for my own
good.  You can select a Month/Year in the interface to begin listing
edits and a direction to go in (earlier or later), but there is no end
date. And FYI, you can edit the "&limit" parameter in the URL to get a
max of 5,000 edits per page, and set the "&offset" parameter to more
finely control the date/time.  If you have more the 5,000 edits, you
can use the interface to count off blocks of 5,000s, and then
copy/paste to Excel for the remainder.

Stuart

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Andrea Forte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all - I have poked around on toolserver but I don't seem to see a
> tool that generates a list/count of user edits for a particular date range.
> Does anyone know if such a tool exists?
>
> i.e.: Show me andicat's edits/stats for july 2005 through september 2007.
>
> (Unless I missed something, none of these do it:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_edit_counters)
>
> -andrea
>

> --
>  :: Andrea Forte
>  :: Assistant Professor
>  :: College of Information Science and Technology, Drexel University
>  :: http://www.andreaforte.net

Re: edit counts for specific users

fox-20
Il 22/03/2011 21:47, Andrea Forte ha scritto:
> Hi all - I have poked around on toolserver but I don't seem to see a
> tool that generates a list/count of user edits for a particular date range.
> Does anyone know if such a tool exists?

It's possibile to do it by using Wikipedia's API like Stuart Geiger
said, but it's quite slow because it returns xml (or other format) that
you have to parse and count edits.
I need more or less the same service you need so i requested a
toolserver account which should be activated soon. Then i'm planning to
offer an API returning JSON (i use it with js and ajax, but i can
implement other formats) with some stats about pages and users (in
particular revisions counting through time).
When it'll be ready i'll contact you! I would be wonderful if somebody
else will use it ;)

--
f.

  "I didn't try, I succeeded"
  (Dr. Sheldon Cooper, PhD)

fn

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, fox wrote:

> Il 22/03/2011 21:47, Andrea Forte ha scritto:
>> Hi all - I have poked around on toolserver but I don't seem to see a
>> tool that generates a list/count of user edits for a particular date range.
>> Does anyone know if such a tool exists?
>
> It's possibile to do it by using Wikipedia's API like Stuart Geiger
> said, but it's quite slow because it returns xml (or other format) that
> you have to parse and count edits.

I was confused there for a bit. The API also returns JSON with
format=json. To me the Wikipedia API seems reasonably responsive in
Andrea's case (with edits < 500). Here is a Python script for Geiger's
>>> import simplejson, urllib
>>> url = "http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=usercontribs&ucuser=Andicat&uclimit=5000&ucdir=newer&ucstart=2005-06-01T00:00:01Z&ucend=2007-11-30T23:59:59Z&format=json"
>>> len(simplejson.load(urllib.urlopen(url))["query"]["usercontribs"])

Regards
Finn

          Finn Aarup Nielsen, DTU Informatics, Denmark
  Lundbeck Foundation Center for Integrated Molecular Brain Imaging
    http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~fn/      http://nru.dk/staff/fnielsen/

Re: edit counts for specific users

Andrea Forte
thanks, Finn, I think this would be a handy tool.

but that said... I need it to look up 9 users. :) Unless the tool is
already handy, it's probably just as easy in my case to look at the
user contributions in standard 500-edit increments. It just gets
onerous for high-volume editors, but still shouldn't take more than 20
minutes or so I guess...

Andrea

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Finn Aarup Nielsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, fox wrote:
>
>> Il 22/03/2011 21:47, Andrea Forte ha scritto:
>>>
>>> Hi all - I have poked around on toolserver but I don't seem to see a
>>> tool that generates a list/count of user edits for a particular date
>>> range.
>>> Does anyone know if such a tool exists?
>>
>> It's possibile to do it by using Wikipedia's API like Stuart Geiger
>> said, but it's quite slow because it returns xml (or other format) that
>> you have to parse and count edits.
>
> I was confused there for a bit. The API also returns JSON with format=json.
> To me the Wikipedia API seems reasonably responsive in Andrea's case (with
> edits < 500). Here is a Python script for Geiger's URL:

> Regards
> Finn

>         Finn Aarup Nielsen, DTU Informatics, Denmark
>  Lundbeck Foundation Center for Integrated Molecular Brain Imaging
>   http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~fn/      http://nru.dk/staff/fnielsen/

 :: Andrea Forte
 :: Assistant Professor
 :: College of Information Science and Technology, Drexel University
 :: http://www.andreaforte.net

Re: edit counts for specific users

Felipe Ortega
Hi.

Andrea, probably you will also like the new Soxred93's tools on toolserver :)

http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/

"Edit Summary calculator" quickly answers your question (including simple
barplot, no legend available but I guess it represents major [green] and minor
[red] edits):

http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/editsummary/

http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/editsummary/index.php?name=Andicat&lang=en&wiki=wikipedia

Besides, you can also get nice overall stats (including graphs) with Edit
counts:

http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/ec

http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/pcount/index.php?name=Andicat&lang=en&wiki=wikipedia

Then, you can also enable month counts and top edited pages stats. Just opt in
following the instructions at the bottom of results, to create a special page
(or activate it across al wikis).

Hope this helps.

Felipe.

Re: edit counts for specific users

Andrea Forte
Yes, this is useful, thanks, Felipe! Adding up a series of monthly counts is
way less evil. :)

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Felipe Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Andrea, probably you will also like the new Soxred93's tools on toolserver :)
>
> http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/
>
> "Edit Summary calculator" quickly answers your question (including simple
> barplot, no legend available but I guess it represents major [green] and minor
> [red] edits):
>
> http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/editsummary/
>
> http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/editsummary/index.php?name=Andicat&lang=en&wiki=wikipedia
>

> Besides, you can also get nice overall stats (including graphs) with Edit
> counts:
>
> http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/ec
>
> http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/pcount/index.php?name=Andicat&lang=en&wiki=wikipedia
>

> Then, you can also enable month counts and top edited pages stats. Just opt in
> following the instructions at the bottom of results, to create a special page
> (or activate it across al wikis).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Felipe.

Fae-6
Hi,

Please take care to stay within the policy stated at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy - if you are researching in general there is no issue but if you are analysing/data mining a specific editor's contributions it should be for a recognized bureaucratic purpose.

http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae

Re: edit counts for specific users

erikzachte
In Wikimania Boston, 2006, visualization experts [1]  Fernanda Viégas en
Martin Wattenberg presented a tool which could produce a tag cloud from a
person's edit history. Tag clouds were a novelty and very suitable for the
matter at hand. You could see at a glance that editor Johanna Doe was mainly
engaged in articles about say classic music, and Chinese and Iran politics,
which is OK of course, but maybe better left to the person to disclose at
her own discretion. We discussed implications of the visualization: on one
hand this was all data from the public dumps, and anyone could make such a
script once the idea spread, on the other hand would it be wise to help
facilitate this process. I later found out they decided not to publish the
tool for this very reason.

[1] See first two entries on http://infodisiac.com/Wikimedia/Visualizations/

Erik Zachte

Re: edit counts for specific users

Andrea Forte
Hmm, it seems that soxred93's tools require opt-in... all the users
I've tried to look up come back "non-existent." Bummer. :)

Just a note - I spoke at Wikimania in Gdansk about research ethics.
The privacy policy is actually less stringent than the code of ethics
that researchers generally adhere to. In all my work, I strive to
respect and protect the well-being of my participants. I think this
should be the norm for anyone doing research that involves people!

(Also, I remember Fernanda's talk well, I was the trouble maker in the
audience who asked her about whether the users they showcased had
given consent ;))

Andrea

Il 22/03/2011 23:27, Finn Aarup Nielsen ha scritto:
> I was confused there for a bit. The API also returns JSON with
> format=json. To me the Wikipedia API seems reasonably responsive in
> Andrea's case (with edits < 500).

Yes, I understand your point, but I need a custom API on toolserver
because i need some stats that would require some different wikipedia's
API requests. E.g.: Top two editors, number of total edits, edits
through time, etc. of an article.
Wikipedia API is indeed better for Andrea's work if he needs data about
only one user once.

--
f.

  "I didn't try, I succeeded"
  (Dr. Sheldon Cooper, PhD)

Re: edit counts for specific users

Jodi Schneider-2
On 23 Mar 2011, at 20:46, Erik Zachte wrote:

In Wikimania Boston, 2006, visualization experts [1]  Fernanda Viégas en
Martin Wattenberg presented a tool which could produce a tag cloud from a
person's edit history. Tag clouds were a novelty and very suitable for the
matter at hand. You could see at a glance that editor Johanna Doe was mainly
engaged in articles about say classic music, and Chinese and Iran politics,
which is OK of course, but maybe better left to the person to disclose at
her own discretion.

Or to view privately, to understand his/her own editing history. I'd be very interested in using such a tool in that way.

We discussed implications of the visualization: on one
hand this was all data from the public dumps, and anyone could make such a
script once the idea spread, on the other hand would it be wise to help
facilitate this process. I later found out they decided not to publish the
tool for this very reason.

Regarding ethics, and adding to Andrea's email, the ACM code of ethics may give a useful idea:
Many other professional societies have similar codes.

-Jodi

[1] See first two entries on http://infodisiac.com/Wikimedia/Visualizations/

Erik Zachte

Re: edit counts for specific users

Steven Walling
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 5:46 AM, Erik Zachte <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That is really sad.

As a Wikipedian, I would hate to see any researcher shy away from publishing interesting and insightful visualizations of public data.

If you're producing analyses that call out individual editors, then yes, it would be wise to make such tools opt-in. But for every Wikipedian who would rather not, there are ten more (like me) that really want more insight into the rich data set of our editing histories.

Steven

Re: edit counts for specific users

erikzachte

> If you're producing analyses that call out individual editors, then yes, it would be wise to make such tools opt-in.

That makes all the difference. I’d also love to see such viz. for my own edits and probably wouldn’t mind sharing it.

And I’m not arguing against mining these data for research. I trust that research will focus on generalized findings,

and in an article will provide an example for which consent had been given.

My point is rather that if we provide generic tools as a service to the research community the issue of opt-in will sooner or later become mute.

Someone will take the tool, add the category cloud, and start wikigossip.com (just checked: domain is reserved)

I know this is a general trend anyway, lots of tools already exist that help you analyze someone’s presence on the web.

> But for every Wikipedian who would rather not, there are ten more (like me) that really want more insight into the rich data set of our editing histories.

On an aggregate level or secure access level, yes. Not to feed our interpersonal curiosity.

I’m sure no-one here has that in mind and of course I wasn’t implicating such.

Just raising awareness of what it could lead to.

Erik Zachte

Re: edit counts for specific users

Piotr Konieczny-2
Jodi Schneider wrote:

> Or to view privately, to understand his/her own editing history. I'd be
> very interested in using such a tool in that way.

Yes. I'd very much like to see my edits analyzed that way, even if I
have to opt-in.

Here's where the researcher flag could be useful, overriding such opt-in
requirements (because, let's face it, 99.9% of Wikipedia editors don't
know they can opt-in for such tools, and are thus not opted-in, making
all advanced tools like that quite useless for us).

--
Piotr Konieczny

"To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on
one's laurels, is defeat." --Józef Pilsudski