en.wiki admin IRC

Jon-146
I just spent the better part of ten minutes searching for an admin on
IRC to have something deleted while I was handling an OTRS ticket.  Is
there a channel that the en wiki admins hang out where folks from
foundation, volunteers working OTRS, et cetera can go to contact an
admin in real time if something needs deleted?  If not, I might suggest
a new channel.  Thoughts?

./scream

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

John Reaves-2
There's #wikimedia-otrs and #wikipedia-en.  Most admins have !admin stalked.

--John Reaves

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:31 AM, Screamer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just spent the better part of ten minutes searching for an admin on
> IRC to have something deleted while I was handling an OTRS ticket.  Is
> there a channel that the en wiki admins hang out where folks from
> foundation, volunteers working OTRS, et cetera can go to contact an
> admin in real time if something needs deleted?  If not, I might suggest
> a new channel.  Thoughts?
>

> ./scream

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

Jon-146
John Reaves wrote:

> There's #wikimedia-otrs and #wikipedia-en.  Most admins have !admin stalked.
>
> --John Reaves
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:31 AM, Screamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I just spent the better part of ten minutes searching for an admin on
>> IRC to have something deleted while I was handling an OTRS ticket.  Is
>> there a channel that the en wiki admins hang out where folks from
>> foundation, volunteers working OTRS, et cetera can go to contact an
>> admin in real time if something needs deleted?  If not, I might suggest
>> a new channel.  Thoughts?
>>

>> ./scream

tried that, and regular #wikipedia - no takers.

./screamer

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

Thomas Dalton
On 27/02/2008, Screamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just spent the better part of ten minutes searching for an admin on
>  IRC to have something deleted while I was handling an OTRS ticket.  Is
>  there a channel that the en wiki admins hang out where folks from
>  foundation, volunteers working OTRS, et cetera can go to contact an
>  admin in real time if something needs deleted?  If not, I might suggest
>  a new channel.  Thoughts?

If you're trustworthy and qualified enough for OTRS access, why don't
you just become an admin yourself? Seems easier to have only admins
doing OTRS than to have a special way for them to contact admins.

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

Jon-146
Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 27/02/2008, Screamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I just spent the better part of ten minutes searching for an admin on
>>  IRC to have something deleted while I was handling an OTRS ticket.  Is
>>  there a channel that the en wiki admins hang out where folks from
>>  foundation, volunteers working OTRS, et cetera can go to contact an
>>  admin in real time if something needs deleted?  If not, I might suggest
>>  a new channel.  Thoughts?
>>

> If you're trustworthy and qualified enough for OTRS access, why don't
> you just become an admin yourself? Seems easier to have only admins
> doing OTRS than to have a special way for them to contact admins.

It would be easier for me if we had a way to contact en.wiki admins.  I
don't have nearly enough history to become an admin, and I don't have
the inclination to serve in such a public way, at this time.  I am
suggesting that perhaps we develop a way to easily contact en.wiki, that
does not include folks having to go thru gauntlet rfa.

respectfully,

./scream

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

Andrew Gray
On 27/02/2008, Screamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> John Reaves wrote:
> > There's #wikimedia-otrs and #wikipedia-en.  Most admins have !admin stalked.

> tried that, and regular #wikipedia - no takers.

If you can't find any on the normal IRC channels who're free to do
something, then it doesn't seem likely you'll manage to conjure up a
handful by going anywhere else! Sometimes, there's just no-one around
willing to be nagged...

(& the more special contact methods you develop, the less efficient
any of them are)

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

Thomas Dalton
>  I don't have nearly enough history to become an admin

Then how did you get OTRS access?

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

John Reaves-2
I assumed he was trusted on a different project.

--John Reaves

Thomas Dalton wrote:

>>  I don't have nearly enough history to become an admin
>>

> Then how did you get OTRS access?

Just to clarify:  I don't have enough history on the English Wikipedia
project to become an admin on the English Wikipedia.  :)  I apologize
for the misunderstanding. You are welcome to email me for more details,
I prefer to be a private person.

./scream

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

Nathan Awrich
Sometimes people can be trusted with access without being able to pass an
RfA. (A particularly recent RfA springs to mind.) Anyway, it doesn't seem
like a conversation to be conducted on the list.

Nathan

Andrew Gray wrote:

> On 27/02/2008, Screamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> John Reaves wrote:
>>
>>> There's #wikimedia-otrs and #wikipedia-en.  Most admins have !admin stalked.
>>>

>> tried that, and regular #wikipedia - no takers.
>>

> If you can't find any on the normal IRC channels who're free to do
> something, then it doesn't seem likely you'll manage to conjure up a
> handful by going anywhere else! Sometimes, there's just no-one around
> willing to be nagged...
>
> (& the more special contact methods you develop, the less efficient
> any of them are)

This makes sense.  Question:  Does the freenode setup allow someone to
"Knock" on the -admins channel.  I could see someone knocking, entering,
handling business, and promptly leaving.  How does this sound?

./screaM

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

Riana-2
I'm surprised. In #wikipedia-en, admins and non-admins alike fall over each
other attempting to answer the !admin call. #wikipedia is always lazier :)
Sorry you couldn't get help in time.

--
Riana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Riana
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Riana

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

John Reaves-2
I think knocking only works if people in the channel are opped, so no.

--John Reaves

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Screamer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrew Gray wrote:

> stalked.
> >>>

> >> tried that, and regular #wikipedia - no takers.
> >>

> > If you can't find any on the normal IRC channels who're free to do
> > something, then it doesn't seem likely you'll manage to conjure up a
> > handful by going anywhere else! Sometimes, there's just no-one around
> > willing to be nagged...
> >
> > (& the more special contact methods you develop, the less efficient
> > any of them are)
> >

> This makes sense.  Question:  Does the freenode setup allow someone to
> "Knock" on the -admins channel.  I could see someone knocking, entering,
> handling business, and promptly leaving.  How does this sound?
>

> ./screaM

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

Rjd0060 -
I'm really surprised that you couldn't get anybody in #wikipedia-en .   In
the future, all I would suggest is going there and doing !admin .  It is
very odd that nobody responded to you.  They (myself included) are usually
there.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 9:29 AM, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think knocking only works if people in the channel are opped, so no.
>
> --John Reaves
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Screamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Andrew Gray wrote:

> > stalked.

> > > If you can't find any on the normal IRC channels who're free to do
> > > something, then it doesn't seem likely you'll manage to conjure up a
> > > handful by going anywhere else! Sometimes, there's just no-one around
> > > willing to be nagged...
> > >
> > > (& the more special contact methods you develop, the less efficient
> > > any of them are)
> > >

> > This makes sense.  Question:  Does the freenode setup allow someone to
> > "Knock" on the -admins channel.  I could see someone knocking, entering,
> > handling business, and promptly leaving.  How does this sound?
> >

> > ./screaM

Rjd0060

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

Avi-7
Then there are also a number of us en-wiki admins who do not use IRC for
various reasons. Posting an e-mail to the OTRS list will almost always get a
wiki-admin's eyes on it.

--
en:User:Avraham
----

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

Chris Howie
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Avi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Then there are also a number of us en-wiki admins who do not use IRC for
> various reasons. Posting an e-mail to the OTRS list will almost always get a
> wiki-admin's eyes on it.

I'm rarely in any of the #wikipedia channels either, though I am on
Freenode basically 24/7.  If you (Screamer) need an admin *right now*
then you could try bugging all of the IRC channels and this list at
once.  Someone will probably respond.

At least that's what you'll have to do until we can get the
[[Bat-Signal|Mop-Signal]] deployed.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

WJhonson
Can I just pipe in here to say "Good".

Admin IRC is and always was a completely horrible idea, imho.
All IRC should die die die !

Time for coffee.

Will Johnson

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

John Reaves-2
While you're here, mind explaining what "admin IRC" is?

--John Reaves

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can I just pipe in here to say "Good".
>
> Admin IRC is and always was a completely horrible idea, imho.
> All IRC should die die die !
>
> Time for coffee.
>
> Will Johnson
>

> **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.
> (
> http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/
> 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

WJhonson
IRC was this very early (and evil) way for people to communicate "Internet
Relay Chat".
It still lives (and should die) and admins have their own channel to talk  to
each other.
It's not considered an "official" part of Wikipedia but might as well  be.

I would much prefer all-admin-talk talk place on-Wiki where we can all see
what is and was said.
To me that transparency is very important for the project.  I am very
pro-transparency.

Will Johnson

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

Re: en.wiki admin IRC

John Reaves-2
So are you for disabling Special:Emailuser?  Why is it only admin talk that
has to transparent?  Bigger problems would arise from coordinated off-wiki
POV pushing by non-admins.

--John Reaves