etytree (Tool Labs) : a new tool to visually explore etymological relationships extracted from the English Wiktionary

etytree (Tool Labs) : a new tool to visually explore etymological relationships extracted from the English Wiktionary

Ester Pantaleo
Dear all,

I am writing to let you know that I have just released a new Labs Tool

etytree
<http://tools.wmflabs.org/etytree/etymology/resources/html/index.html>

http://tools.wmflabs.org/etytree/etymology/resources/html/index.html

to visualize etymologies. This work was part of and IEG project.
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/A_graphical_and_interactive_etymology_dictionary_based_on_Wiktionary>
If
you have ideas on places where I could do dissemination, please let me know.

Also your feedback is welcome on the talk
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IEG/A_graphical_and_interactive_etymology_dictionary_based_on_Wiktionary#Comments_on_the_interactive_tool_etytree>
page of the project, if you like. Note that this is the first release! I
have written down some notes about how to make it easier to parse
Etymologies in the English Wiktionary with some ideas I have about new
templates, possibly here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IEG/A_graphical_and_interactive_etymology_dictionary_based_on_Wiktionary#Suggestions_on_how_to_make_Etymology_Sections_easy_to_parse

Your comments in there would be helpful too. Some additional notes follow:

   1. In the future I would like to use the nicer demo
   <http://www.epantaleo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/index.html> I made
   a while ago. I could not because there were loops between words that could
   not be fit in trees (in trees branches don't merge). Loops are conflicting
   etymologies. Many are due to simple inconsistencies that users can easily
   fix, others are real conflicting etymologies and should be represented
   using multiple trees. I will work on this in a future release.
   2. Etymology sections rarely link to words and their sense/pos,
   generally only link to the lemma. This is a problem for homographs, because
   they generally have different etymological trees which get mixed up in this
   current implementation. See for example the discussion on the Etymology
   Scriptorium
   <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Etymology_scriptorium/2017/February#A_new_Labs_Tool_to_visually_explore_etymological_relationships_extracted_from_the_English_Wiktionary>.
   It would be nice to have more precise links in etymology sections that link
   to the correct word.
   3. I am not plotting all derived words as of now to clean up a bit the
   visualization.

Looking forward to your comments!

Ester