.eu domains lost (Was: .eu domains soon)

.eu domains lost (Was: .eu domains soon)

Jan Kulveit
Hi,

after less than a year .eu registration finally have results

wikipedia.eu was finaly lost to subject actively hostile to
Wikimedia, see www.wikipedia.eu. (It's not because they were
that clever or agressive, but because Wikimedia wasnt much
active)

wikimedia.eu is probably going to be lost as Wikimedia didnt
even applied

Jan Kulveit (Wikimol)

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 01:49:36PM +0100, Jan Kulveit wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the 1st sunrise period for .eu domain registration is going
> to begin soon - 7 December 2005
> only domain names which are registred EU community/national
> trademarks will be registered.
>
> I'm not sure about the status of Wikimedia trademarks, but
> guess at least Wikipedia a Wikimedia are suitable. IMO
> "we" should apply at least for wikipedia.eu and wikimedia.eu.
>
> Because of trademark issues and eu regulations concernig
> who can apply for .eu, I'm affraid it will be a bit
> complicated. I hope someone from the foundation can take care
> of it.
>
> (If the process is allready going, sorry :-)
>
> Jan Kulveit ([[USEr:Wikimol]])

Re: .eu domains lost (Was: .eu domains soon)

Sebastian Moleski
Hello,

I took the liberty to register the two remaining .EU domains commonly
associated with Wikimedia (wikiversity.eu and wikimediafoundation.eu). Both
are currently redirects to the respective .org pages. Since eurid (the EU
domain registration authority) just suspended thousands of .EU domains for
not being particularly "European", I'd suggest that portals be placed on
those two domains with links to European versions of Wikiversity and
Wikimedia chapters, respectively.

Regards,

Sebastian Moleski

On 8/30/06, Jan Kulveit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after less than a year .eu registration finally have results
>
> wikipedia.eu was finaly lost to subject actively hostile to
> Wikimedia, see www.wikipedia.eu. (It's not because they were
> that clever or agressive, but because Wikimedia wasnt much
> active)
>
> wikimedia.eu is probably going to be lost as Wikimedia didnt
> even applied
>
> Jan Kulveit (Wikimol)
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 01:49:36PM +0100, Jan Kulveit wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the 1st sunrise period for .eu domain registration is going
> > to begin soon - 7 December 2005
> > only domain names which are registred EU community/national
> > trademarks will be registered.
> >
> > I'm not sure about the status of Wikimedia trademarks, but
> > guess at least Wikipedia a Wikimedia are suitable. IMO
> > "we" should apply at least for wikipedia.eu and wikimedia.eu.
> >
> > Because of trademark issues and eu regulations concernig
> > who can apply for .eu, I'm affraid it will be a bit
> > complicated. I hope someone from the foundation can take care
> > of it.
> >
> > (If the process is allready going, sorry :-)
> >
> > Jan Kulveit ([[USEr:Wikimol]])

Re: .eu domains lost (Was: .eu domains soon)

Michael Bimmler
On 8/30/06, Jan Kulveit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after less than a year .eu registration finally have results
>
> wikipedia.eu was finaly lost to subject actively hostile to
> Wikimedia, see www.wikipedia.eu. (It's not because they were
> that clever or agressive, but because Wikimedia wasnt much
> active)
And they didn't exactly wait long to fill it with content, see
wikipedia.eu , a link to a non.existant wiki + a long linklist
Michael