extension1 (x1) db primary master failover (read-only required) 3rd July 06:00 AM UTC

extension1 (x1) db primary master failover (read-only required) 3rd July 06:00 AM UTC

Manuel Arostegui
Hello,

We need to switchover x1 primary master from db1069 to db1120
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T226358

db1069 is a very old host that has hardware issues, it is out of warranty
and needs to be decommissioned.
Given that x1 cannot be set on read-only on a MW level, we will need to go
read-only at a MySQL level.

We are going to do this on Wednesday 3rd July at 06:00AM UTC. We expect
around 1 minute of read-only time if everything goes as expected.

Impact: Writes will be blocked. Reads will remain unaffected.

Communication will happen on #wikimedia-operations
If you are around at that time and want to help with the monitoring, please
join us!

Thanks
Manuel.

Re: extension1 (x1) db primary master failover (read-only required) 3rd July 06:00 AM UTC

Manuel Arostegui
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 3:48 PM Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We need to switchover x1 primary master from db1069 to db1120
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T226358
>
> db1069 is a very old host that has hardware issues, it is out of warranty
> and needs to be decommissioned.
> Given that x1 cannot be set on read-only on a MW level, we will need to go
> read-only at a MySQL level.
>
> We are going to do this on Wednesday 3rd July at 06:00AM UTC. We expect
> around 1 minute of read-only time if everything goes as expected.
>
> Impact: Writes will be blocked. Reads will remain unaffected.
>
> Communication will happen on #wikimedia-operations
> If you are around at that time and want to help with the monitoring,
> please join us!
>
> Thanks
> Manuel.

Hello,

This will start in 1 hour.

Manuel.

Re: extension1 (x1) db primary master failover (read-only required) 3rd July 06:00 AM UTC

Manuel Arostegui
This was done.
Read only start: 06:00:36 UTC
Read only stop: 06:01:56 UTC
Total read only time: 01:20 min

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 7:00 AM Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 3:48 PM Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We need to switchover x1 primary master from db1069 to db1120
>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T226358
>>
>> db1069 is a very old host that has hardware issues, it is out of warranty
>> and needs to be decommissioned.
>> Given that x1 cannot be set on read-only on a MW level, we will need to
>> go read-only at a MySQL level.
>>
>> We are going to do this on Wednesday 3rd July at 06:00AM UTC. We expect
>> around 1 minute of read-only time if everything goes as expected.
>>
>> Impact: Writes will be blocked. Reads will remain unaffected.
>>
>> Communication will happen on #wikimedia-operations
>> If you are around at that time and want to help with the monitoring,
>> please join us!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Manuel.
>>

> Hello,
>
> This will start in 1 hour.
>
> Manuel.

Re: extension1 (x1) db primary master failover (read-only required) 3rd July 06:00 AM UTC

Strainu
Manuel,

Thank you for the notifications. May I suggest that in the future you
also include a list of services/wikis affected? I personally have no
idea what "extension1" means.

Thank you,
   Strainu

În mie., 3 iul. 2019 la 09:10, Manuel Arostegui
<[hidden email]> a scris:

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 9:48 PM Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Manuel,
>
> Thank you for the notifications. May I suggest that in the future you
> also include a list of services/wikis affected? I personally have no
> idea what "extension1" means.
>
> Thank you,
>    Strainu

Hello Strainu,

Sure, will do. For the record, this affects pretty much all the wikis :-)
# cat echo.dblist
%% all.dblist - nonecho.dblist

# cat nonecho.dblist
legalteamwiki