facebook like box in mediawiki

Raul Kern
Hi,

how to add facebook like box to chapters mediawiki homepage:
http://et.wikimedia.org

--
Raul

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

MZMcBride-2
Raul Kern wrote:
> how to add facebook like box to chapters mediawiki homepage:
> http://et.wikimedia.org

The "like" button is usually added with an <iframe> HTML element. I suppose
it would be simple enough to create this element in JavaScript (in
MediaWiki:Common.js) and then have it inserted on the Main Page (or
wherever).

The bigger concern would be whether doing so is acceptable under the
Wikimedia Foundation's privacy policy. I'm not sure how much data is
transferred simply by users loading an iframe from another site or what
other risks there might be from doing so.

MZMcBride

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

Svip
On 18 April 2011 20:27, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Raul Kern wrote:
>
>> how to add facebook like box to chapters mediawiki homepage:
>> http://et.wikimedia.org
>
> The "like" button is usually added with an <iframe> HTML element. I suppose
> it would be simple enough to create this element in JavaScript (in
> MediaWiki:Common.js) and then have it inserted on the Main Page (or
> wherever).
>
> The bigger concern would be whether doing so is acceptable under the
> Wikimedia Foundation's privacy policy. I'm not sure how much data is
> transferred simply by users loading an iframe from another site or what
> other risks there might be from doing so.

Or the fact that Facebook Like-buttons are popping up everywhere, and
I hope they won't on WMFs wikis.  Great, you liked enwiki's article on
turtles!

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

Roan Kattouw-2
2011/4/18 MZMcBride <[hidden email]>:
> The bigger concern would be whether doing so is acceptable under the
> Wikimedia Foundation's privacy policy. I'm not sure how much data is
> transferred simply by users loading an iframe from another site or what
> other risks there might be from doing so.

Presumably it'll pass a referer header, which means the 3rd-party site
would know who (IP and account, if they have one on their site, like
on Facebook) visited which Wikipedia page when. I'm not very familiar
with the privacy policy, but I'm pretty sure this is shady at the very
least.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

Jay Ashworth-2
> Presumably it'll pass a referer header, which means the 3rd-party site
> would know who (IP and account, if they have one on their site, like
> on Facebook) visited which Wikipedia page when. I'm not very familiar
> with the privacy policy, but I'm pretty sure this is shady at the very
> least.

If Wikipedia or any other WMF sites deploy anything remotely related to
Facebook, be it Instant Personalization, or even anything slightly less
intrusive, then I'm gone, both as a reader and an editor, and I'm pretty
sure I wouldn't be alone in that opinion.  Mission creep is alive and well
at Facebook.

Papa *spank*.

Cheers,
-- jra

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

Platonides
Svip wrote:

> On 18 April 2011 20:27, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Raul Kern wrote:
>>
>>> how to add facebook like box to chapters mediawiki homepage:
>>> http://et.wikimedia.org
>>
>> The "like" button is usually added with an <iframe> HTML element. I suppose
>> it would be simple enough to create this element in JavaScript (in
>> MediaWiki:Common.js) and then have it inserted on the Main Page (or
>> wherever).
>>
>> The bigger concern would be whether doing so is acceptable under the
>> Wikimedia Foundation's privacy policy. I'm not sure how much data is
>> transferred simply by users loading an iframe from another site or what
>> other risks there might be from doing so.
>
> Or the fact that Facebook Like-buttons are popping up everywhere, and
> I hope they won't on WMFs wikis.  Great, you liked enwiki's article on
> turtles!

It's a chapter wiki so it gets a bit borderline.
I hate those "like" buttons, though.

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

River Tarnell-8
In article <C9D1ECB6.10B40%[hidden email]>,
MZMcBride  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Raul Kern wrote:
> > how to add facebook like box to chapters mediawiki homepage:
> > http://et.wikimedia.org
[...]
> The bigger concern would be whether doing so is acceptable under the
> Wikimedia Foundation's privacy policy. I'm not sure how much data is
> transferred simply by users loading an iframe from another site or what
> other risks there might be from doing so.

My understanding is that merely displaying the "Like" button allows
Facebook to track the browsing of anyone who visits the page, whether
they have a Facebook account or not.

While I'm sure Facebook is a lovely company that has only its users'
best interests at heart, it is probably a good idea not to enable
third-party user tracking services on Wikimedia websites, as a matter of
principle if nothing else.

        - river.

2011/4/19 River Tarnell <[hidden email]>:

> In article <C9D1ECB6.10B40%[hidden email]>,
> MZMcBride  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Raul Kern wrote:
>> > how to add facebook like box to chapters mediawiki homepage:
>> > http://et.wikimedia.org
> [...]
>> The bigger concern would be whether doing so is acceptable under the
>> Wikimedia Foundation's privacy policy. I'm not sure how much data is
>> transferred simply by users loading an iframe from another site or what
>> other risks there might be from doing so.
>
> My understanding is that merely displaying the "Like" button allows
> Facebook to track the browsing of anyone who visits the page, whether
> they have a Facebook account or not.
>
> While I'm sure Facebook is a lovely company that has only its users'
> best interests at heart, it is probably a good idea not to enable
> third-party user tracking services on Wikimedia websites, as a matter of
> principle if nothing else.
>
>        - river.

So it's better to find other hosting provider for chapters web site?

Raul Kern wrote:

> 2011/4/19 River Tarnell <[hidden email]>:
>> My understanding is that merely displaying the "Like" button allows
>> Facebook to track the browsing of anyone who visits the page, whether
>> they have a Facebook account or not.
>>
>> While I'm sure Facebook is a lovely company that has only its users'
>> best interests at heart, it is probably a good idea not to enable
>> third-party user tracking services on Wikimedia websites, as a matter of
>> principle if nothing else.
>
> So it's better to find other hosting provider for chapters web site?

I think it's better to just not use a "like" button. :-)

You can have passive "share" links instead, though. For example:
<http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Template:Social_bookmarks>.

The chapter sites being hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation makes sense,
mostly as the Wikimedia Foundation is fairly familiar with how to manage and
maintain websites. If it's analytics that you want, that's being worked on
(as far as I'm aware): <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/OWA>.

MZMcBride

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

Brandon Harris-4

On 4/18/11 10:32 PM, Raul Kern wrote:

> So it's better to find other hosting provider for chapters web site?

        I don't have an answer for this other than to say "using Facebook
'like' buttons is absolutely a violation of the WMF privacy policy" so
they cannot be used on WMF wikis.

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

Tim Starling-2
On 19/04/11 15:32, Raul Kern wrote:
> So it's better to find other hosting provider for chapters web site?

A lot of chapters have their own hosting. Part of the reason is so
that they can set their own website policies without any interference
from the Foundation. It's a reasonable solution.

For example, Wikimedia Israel has a Facebook "like" button, and
Wikimedia Russia, Wikimedia France and Wikimedia Portugal have Google
Analytics, all without JRA quitting.

-- Tim Starling

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

Christophe Henner
Sorry for top posting but what is JRA quitting ?

Christophe
Envoye depuis mon Blackberry

> So it's better to find other hosting provider for chapters web site?

A lot of chapters have their own hosting. Part of the reason is so
that they can set their own website policies without any interference
from the Foundation. It's a reasonable solution.

For example, Wikimedia Israel has a Facebook "like" button, and
Wikimedia Russia, Wikimedia France and Wikimedia Portugal have Google
Analytics, all without JRA quitting.

-- Tim Starling

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

River Tarnell-8
In article <BANLkTi=[hidden email]>,
Raul Kern  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > My understanding is that merely displaying the "Like" button allows
> > Facebook to track the browsing of anyone who visits the page, whether
> > they have a Facebook account or not.
> So it's better to find other hosting provider for chapters web site?

If you think having a "like" button is more important than your users'
privacy, then yes.

        - river.

Christophe Henner wrote:
> Tim Starling wrote:
>> For example, Wikimedia Israel has a Facebook "like" button, and
>> Wikimedia Russia, Wikimedia France and Wikimedia Portugal have Google
>> Analytics, all without JRA quitting.
>
> Sorry for top posting but what is JRA quitting ?

It was a reference to
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2011-April/052912.html>.

MZMcBride

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

K. Peachey-2
I haven't quite looked back to the discussions, but couldn't you have
the extension load a local icon/image for the button and then manually
construct the url to be clicked in the same style that the wikinews
does their template?

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

Antoine Musso-3
On 18/04/11 10:51, Raul Kern wrote:
> how to add facebook like box to chapters mediawiki homepage:
> http://et.wikimedia.org

You should not add this kind of facebook button on the WMF website. It
is a breach in private life since it tells facebook which website you
are browsing.

--
Ashar Voultoiz

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

Max Semenik
On 19.04.2011, 10:24 K. wrote:

> I haven't quite looked back to the discussions, but couldn't you have
> the extension load a local icon/image for the button and then manually
> construct the url to be clicked in the same style that the wikinews
> does their template?

Then it would violate the free content doctrine, unles you manage to
convince FB to release their button images under a free license :P

--
Best regards,
  Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Max Semenik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Then it would violate the free content doctrine, unles you manage to
> convince FB to release their button images under a free license :P
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])
Commons has http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Facebook.svg, and i
doubt a white F in a blue box would even reach any where near the
creativity threshold required for copyright.

Re: facebook like box in mediawiki

Daniel Kinzler
On 19.04.2011 08:34, Ashar Voultoiz wrote:
> You should not add this kind of facebook button on the WMF website. It
> is a breach in private life since it tells facebook which website you
> are browsing.

...even if you do not click it!

-- daniel

On 18 April 2011 09:51, Raul Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:

> how to add facebook like box to chapters mediawiki homepage:
> http://et.wikimedia.org

Wikinews has a social networking template that (presumably) passes
privacy muster:

  http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Template:Social_bookmarks

This works with some JavaScript, I'm not sure of the details. But the
important thing is that it doesn't tell Facebook anything more than
that you came to Facebook from the page you're posting to Facebook
about.

Is there a way to make something like this that WMF sites can use more
generally, without each individual site having to rebuild it
themselves by hand?

- d.