first release of etytree, a graphical and interactive tymology dictionary, and renewal endorsement

first release of etytree, a graphical and interactive tymology dictionary, and renewal endorsement

Ester Pantaleo
Dear all,

As some of you may already know I have been working on a tool to
visualize the etymological tree of words using data extracted from
Wiktionary.

This work involved the development of a software to extract
information from Wiktionary textual etymology sections using regular
expressions and a context free grammar.

A first version of the tool can be tested at

http://tools.wmflabs.org/etytree/etymology/resources/html/index.html

I have also set up a sparql endpoint at http://etytree-virtuoso.wmflabs.org/

I only had six months to work on this project and I am now asking for
a renewal. The main aspect I want to improve is the visualization,
which currently uses graphs instead of trees (for the nature of the
current data trees could not be used). Also the data extraction method
needs to be tailored for specific languages that use special
structures and are currently incorrectly extracted.

Please leave your feedback in the endorsement section (end of page) of
the renewal

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/A_graphical_and_interactive_etymology_dictionary_based_on_Wiktionary/Renewal

as only projects that have enough support from the community will be funded.

Best,

Ester