get a definition

Myers, Nick
Hi!  I’m trying to create a simple dictionary function for a Web App.  Basically, I want to be able to click on a word in my app, and it pops up the definition.  I can’t seem to find a simple way of doing this.  Please help!
The information contained in this message may be confidential and/or constitute a privileged attorney-client document.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify McGraw-Hill Education immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.

Re: get a definition

Gabriel Wicke-3
Hi Nick, there is an experimental end point exposing definition data
from the English Wiktionary at
https://en.wiktionary.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_definition_term.

As described in the end point documentation, this end point is not
final yet, support is limited to English, and the output format is
subject to change. That said, we do intend to stabilize this in the
next months as the Android app and other consumers start using this
end point in production.

Hope this helps,

Gabriel

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Myers, Nick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!  I’m trying to create a simple dictionary function for a Web App.
> Basically, I want to be able to click on a word in my app, and it pops up
> the definition.  I can’t seem to find a simple way of doing this.  Please
> help!
> The information contained in this message may be confidential and/or
> constitute a privileged attorney-client document.  If the reader of this
> message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible
> for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
> communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
> communication in error, please notify McGraw-Hill Education immediately by
> replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.

Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: get a definition

Myers, Nick
Fantastic!  This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!  What¹s the
best way to keep myself informed on the progress?  And is there a way for
me to help?

On 2/29/16, 4:15 PM, "Mediawiki-api on behalf of Gabriel Wicke"
<[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Nick, there is an experimental end point exposing definition data
>from the English Wiktionary at
>https://en.wiktionary.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_definit
>ion_term.
>
>As described in the end point documentation, this end point is not
>final yet, support is limited to English, and the output format is
>subject to change. That said, we do intend to stabilize this in the
>next months as the Android app and other consumers start using this
>end point in production.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Gabriel
>
>On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Myers, Nick <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> Hi!  I¹m trying to create a simple dictionary function for a Web App.
>> Basically, I want to be able to click on a word in my app, and it pops
>>up
>> the definition.  I can¹t seem to find a simple way of doing this.
>>Please
>> help!
>> The information contained in this message may be confidential and/or
>> constitute a privileged attorney-client document.  If the reader of this
>> message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
>>responsible
>> for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
>> notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
>> communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
>> communication in error, please notify McGraw-Hill Education immediately
>>by
>> replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.

>--
>Gabriel Wicke
>Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

The information contained in this message may be confidential and/or constitute a privileged attorney-client document.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify McGraw-Hill Education immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.

Re: get a definition

Michael Holloway
Hi Nick,

I'm glad the definition endpoint is useful for you!

To stay informed on the current status of the endpoint, keep an eye on this wiki page.  To help out, you can file bugs here or submit patches to the mobileapps repo in Gerrit (see How to become a MediaWiki hacker if you're new to our development process).

Cheers!
mdh

[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Nick, there is an experimental end point exposing definition data
>from the English Wiktionary at
>https://en.wiktionary.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_definit
>ion_term.
>
>As described in the end point documentation, this end point is not
>final yet, support is limited to English, and the output format is
>subject to change. That said, we do intend to stabilize this in the
>next months as the Android app and other consumers start using this
>end point in production.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Gabriel
>
>On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Myers, Nick <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> Hi!  I¹m trying to create a simple dictionary function for a Web App.
>> Basically, I want to be able to click on a word in my app, and it pops
>>up
>> the definition.  I can¹t seem to find a simple way of doing this.
>>Please
>> help!
>> The information contained in this message may be confidential and/or
>> constitute a privileged attorney-client document.  If the reader of this
>> message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
>>responsible
>> for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
>> notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
>> communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
>> communication in error, please notify McGraw-Hill Education immediately
>>by
>> replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.

>--
>Gabriel Wicke
>Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

The information contained in this message may be confidential and/or constitute a privileged attorney-client document.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify McGraw-Hill Education immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.

Re: get a definition

Gabriel Wicke-3
To add to Michael's excellent reply, we will also announce upcoming
breaking changes to this end point on this list.

Gabriel

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Michael Holloway
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> I'm glad the definition endpoint is useful for you!
>
> To stay informed on the current status of the endpoint, keep an eye on this
> wiki page.  To help out, you can file bugs here or submit patches to the
> mobileapps repo in Gerrit (see How to become a MediaWiki hacker if you're
> new to our development process).
>
> Cheers!
> mdh
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Myers, Nick <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Fantastic!  This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!  What¹s the
>> best way to keep myself informed on the progress?  And is there a way for
>> me to help?
>>
>> On 2/29/16, 4:15 PM, "Mediawiki-api on behalf of Gabriel Wicke"
>> <[hidden email] on behalf of
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Nick, there is an experimental end point exposing definition data
>> >from the English Wiktionary at

>> >ion_term.
>> >
>> >As described in the end point documentation, this end point is not
>> >final yet, support is limited to English, and the output format is
>> >subject to change. That said, we do intend to stabilize this in the
>> >next months as the Android app and other consumers start using this
>> >end point in production.
>> >
>> >Hope this helps,
>> >
>> >Gabriel

>> >--
>> >Gabriel Wicke
>> >Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

>> The information contained in this message may be confidential and/or
>> constitute a privileged attorney-client document.  If the reader of this
>> message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible
>> for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
>> notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
>> communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
>> communication in error, please notify McGraw-Hill Education immediately by
>> replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.

Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: get a definition

Myers, Nick
A co-worker pointed out that my interpretation of the Creative Commons
license may be incorrect.  Am I legally allowed to use the API in a
commercial app?  If not, is there a way to pay for that right?

On 3/1/16, 10:03 AM, "Mediawiki-api on behalf of Gabriel Wicke"
<[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

>To add to Michael's excellent reply, we will also announce upcoming
>breaking changes to this end point on this list.
>
>Gabriel
>
>On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Michael Holloway
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> I'm glad the definition endpoint is useful for you!
>>
>> To stay informed on the current status of the endpoint, keep an eye on
>>this
>> wiki page.  To help out, you can file bugs here or submit patches to the
>> mobileapps repo in Gerrit (see How to become a MediaWiki hacker if
>>you're
>> new to our development process).
>>
>> Cheers!
>> mdh
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Myers, Nick <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Fantastic!  This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!  What¹s
>>>the
>>> best way to keep myself informed on the progress?  And is there a way
>>>for
>>> me to help?
>>>
>>> On 2/29/16, 4:15 PM, "Mediawiki-api on behalf of Gabriel Wicke"
>>> <[hidden email] on behalf of

>>><[hidden email]>
>>>App.
>>>pops
>>>hereby
>>>immediately
>>>you.

>>> The information contained in this message may be confidential and/or
>>> constitute a privileged attorney-client document.  If the reader of
>>>this
>>> message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
>>>responsible
>>> for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
>>> notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
>>> communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
>>> communication in error, please notify McGraw-Hill Education
>>>immediately by
>>> replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.

>--
>Gabriel Wicke
>Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

The information contained in this message may be confidential and/or constitute a privileged attorney-client document.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify McGraw-Hill Education immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.

Re: get a definition

Gabriel Wicke-3
Nick,

a good resource on this topic is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reusing_Wikipedia_content. My
understanding [1] is that the most relevant requirement is
attribution, typically in a form of a link to the original resource /
page. If you follow those requirements, then there should be no
conflict with displaying Wikipedia / Wiktionary content in a
commercial app.

Gabriel

[1] And I Am Not A Lawyer.