gmane need not encrypt wikimedia lists email addresses

gmane need not encrypt wikimedia lists email addresses

jidanni
Can the gmane administrators have permission to turn email address
encryption (e.g., as seen in
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/40968
) off?

In http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/12058

WS> * [hidden email] [2008-11-28 05:24]:
>>> If you look in e.g.,
>>> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2008-November.txt.gz
>>> you'll see they also use weak encryption ("at"). Therefore could you
>>> also turn off the encryption of
>>> gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki.*
>>> gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.*

WS> updated.

j> gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki
j> gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical
j> and maybe others are still encrypted. Please turn encryption off.

In http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/12062

LMI> [hidden email] writes:
>> gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki
>> gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical
>> and maybe others are still encrypted. Please turn encryption off.

LMI> No, don't.  Just because there are non-encrypted archives out there
LMI> doesn't mean that Gmane's messages should be non-encrypted.  This is up
LMI> to the list admin to decide, and if a list has started out as encrypted,
LMI> only a request from the list admin should result in encryption being
LMI> switched off.

Re: gmane need not encrypt wikimedia lists email addresses

Bugzilla from andrew@epstone.net
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:03 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can the gmane administrators have permission to turn email address
> encryption (e.g., as seen in
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/40968
> ) off?

Why?

--
Andrew Garrett

Re: gmane need not encrypt wikimedia lists email addresses

River Tarnell-5

Re: gmane need not encrypt wikimedia lists email addresses

Daniel Friesen
It's also anoying as hell seeing huge jumbles like
jidanni-8D0D3YcSAvhAfugRpC6u6w, and completely unreadable.

Actually, it screws up svn urls sometimes as well because they use a bad
regex match and sometimes people include the username@ inside of the svn
url. So gmane goes and tries to encrypt a svn url making it unusable and
leaving it up to the user to piece it back together.

~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire)
~Profile/Portfolio: http://nadir-seen-fire.com
-The Nadir-Point Group (http://nadir-point.com)
--It's Wiki-Tools subgroup (http://wiki-tools.com)
--The ElectronicMe project (http://electronic-me.org)
-Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)
--Animepedia (http://anime.wikia.com)
--Narutopedia (http://naruto.wikia.com)

Re: gmane need not encrypt wikimedia lists email addresses

jidanni
And imaging trying to reply to headers like these:

From: Daniel Friesen <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: gmane need not encrypt wikimedia lists email   addresses
Newsgroups: gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical
To: [hidden email]

So as Lars (owner of Gmane) will only accept the word of the list
owner to turn obfuscation off, will Brion please put the following in
his mailer and hit SEND:

To: [hidden email]
From: BRION

LMI> [hidden email] writes:
>> gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki
>> gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical
>> and maybe others are still encrypted. Please turn encryption off.

LMI> No, don't.  Just because there are non-encrypted archives out there
LMI> doesn't mean that Gmane's messages should be non-encrypted.  This is up
LMI> to the list admin to decide, and if a list has started out as encrypted,
LMI> only a request from the list admin should result in encryption being
LMI> switched off.

LMI> --
LMI> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
LMI>   [hidden email] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Hi, this is Brion, owner of all the *.wikimedia.* and *.wikipedia.*
lists. Encryption is great, but not for us, so please turn it off.

Re: gmane need not encrypt wikimedia lists email addresses

jidanni
These days I have to hide my email address ( jidanni \at/ jidanni
/dot\ org ) not from the spammers, but from the anti-spam encrypters!

Hmmm, what will happen (on gmane) to this message, crossposted to one
encrypted gmane group (gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical),
and one non-encrypted gmane group (gmane.discuss)?

P.S., Lars: maybe the *wiki* lists owner will soon send you a message...

Re: gmane need not encrypt wikimedia lists email addresses

Brion Vibber-3

In http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-December/040652.html

BV> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Can the gmane administrators have permission to turn email address
>> encryption (e.g., as seen in
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/40968
>> ) off?

BV> I don't particularly care if they do or don't (whoever they are). Go
BV> wild. :)

BV> -- brion

Ok, Gmane adminstrators, please turn off address encryption for
gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki.*
gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.*
Thanks.

Re: gmane need not encrypt wikimedia lists email addresses

Platonides
[hidden email] wrote:
> Ok, Gmane adminstrators, please turn off address encryption for
> gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki.*
> gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.*
> Thanks.

I see it has been now turned off.