googlesitemap.php

Mauro do Carmo-2
Hi all,

I am trying to create a google map of my site, but after trying the following
instructions, I got this error message listed bellow:
----
I've just follow those steps:
1) Copy the contents of http://wiki.case.edu/misc/googleSiteMap.phps to
a php file in the base MediaWiki directory.
2) Confirm it works
3) Submit a link to this php script to the Google Sitemaps service
4) Wait
----
But I get this error message:
XML Parsing Error: xml declaration not at start of external entity
Location: http://mysite.com/wiki/googleSiteMap.php

Line Number 3, Column 1:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
^
----

any help would be must appreciated.

thanks a lot,
mauro.

Fxp

Re: googlesitemap.php

Fxp
Hi,

Two issues:
1) you are trying to see the result of you php file in a browser which
can not handle xml files.
Solution 1) Try with another browser.
Solution 2) Make a simple link to your
ttp://mysite.com/wiki/googleSiteMap.php on an html page, and left click
download the target of this link. then view the file using a text
editor, not a browser.

2)The major problem about xml is an encoding problem. I bet there is an
utf-8 iso-8851-9 mismatch... well, I'm not so sure, but when it begins
at the first column, it is often because some small characters were
added by a text editor to remember it's utf-8. Solution 1) Open the file
 in an old text editor (in windows, you have to get a notepad from win95
which can't handle utf-8 and therefore shows the hidden characters at
the beginning of the file) and erase these characters, or change the
encoding.

Hope that your problem was a lot easier than that and that you already
solved it. If not, hope this helps.

François

Mauro do Carmo a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to create a google map of my site, but after trying the following
> instructions, I got this error message listed bellow:
> ----
> I've just follow those steps:
> 1) Copy the contents of http://wiki.case.edu/misc/googleSiteMap.phps to
> a php file in the base MediaWiki directory.
> 2) Confirm it works
> 3) Submit a link to this php script to the Google Sitemaps service
> 4) Wait
> ----
> But I get this error message:
> XML Parsing Error: xml declaration not at start of external entity
> Location: http://mysite.com/wiki/googleSiteMap.php
>
> Line Number 3, Column 1:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> ^
> ----
>
> any help would be must appreciated.
>
> thanks a lot,
> mauro.

RE: Re: googlesitemap.php

Mauro do Carmo-2
Hi François,

Thanks so much for your help.

Actually I am using php designer 2005 for the creation of my googleSiteMap.php
file. So, I don't think it would generate some encoding problem, but I just
guessing here. Unfortunately, I am still getting this same odd error message if
you have any other clue, I will appreciate.

Thanks again, mauro.