grafana.wikimedia.org migration to the native LDAP implementation on June 27th

grafana.wikimedia.org migration to the native LDAP implementation on June 27th

Alexandros Kosiaris
Hello everyone,

If you don't edit/create dashboards on grafana.wikimedia.org feel free
to skip the rest of this email, it does not affect you. Those of you
who do, please read on.

Our grafana installation dates back quite a bit and it has a custom
LDAP authentication and authorization implementation. Nowadays Grafana
has native support for LDAP and can query LDAP groups. After some
lengthy evaluation and problem solving in
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T170150, the SRE team feels ready to
deprecate the custom LDAP implementation and migrate to the native
one. What does this mean?

* grafana-admin.wikimedia.org (the entry point for users to
authenticate and create dashboards) will be removed
* grafana.wikimedia.org WILL remain as is and will very only slightly
change, specifically the login menu part (see below)
* You will be logging in using a menu in the left hand side of
grafana.wikimedia.org using the exact same credentials as before.
* The grafana database user attributes email and name will be
automatically populated on login from LDAP and enforced. This is
expected to be irrelevant for almost everyone, but if you 've edited
manually your profile in grafana expect those 2 fields to be overriden
with data from LDAP.

The date for the migration is June 27th 09:00 UTC and the maintenance
window will be 3 hours long. We don't expect it to really last that
long however. Expect grafana.wikimedia.org downtime during that
timeframe

Alexandros Kosiaris <[hidden email]>

Re: grafana.wikimedia.org migration to the native LDAP implementation on June 27th

Alexandros Kosiaris
FYI, this is happening today.
On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 2:14 PM Alexandros Kosiaris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> If you don't edit/create dashboards on grafana.wikimedia.org feel free
> to skip the rest of this email, it does not affect you. Those of you
> who do, please read on.
>
> Our grafana installation dates back quite a bit and it has a custom
> LDAP authentication and authorization implementation. Nowadays Grafana
> has native support for LDAP and can query LDAP groups. After some
> lengthy evaluation and problem solving in
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T170150, the SRE team feels ready to
> deprecate the custom LDAP implementation and migrate to the native
> one. What does this mean?
>
> * grafana-admin.wikimedia.org (the entry point for users to
> authenticate and create dashboards) will be removed
> * grafana.wikimedia.org WILL remain as is and will very only slightly
> change, specifically the login menu part (see below)
> * You will be logging in using a menu in the left hand side of
> grafana.wikimedia.org using the exact same credentials as before.
> * The grafana database user attributes email and name will be
> automatically populated on login from LDAP and enforced. This is
> expected to be irrelevant for almost everyone, but if you 've edited
> manually your profile in grafana expect those 2 fields to be overriden
> with data from LDAP.
>
> The date for the migration is June 27th 09:00 UTC and the maintenance
> window will be 3 hours long. We don't expect it to really last that
> long however. Expect grafana.wikimedia.org downtime during that
> timeframe
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Alexandros Kosiaris <[hidden email]>

--
Alexandros Kosiaris <[hidden email]>

Re: grafana.wikimedia.org migration to the native LDAP implementation on June 27th

Alexandros Kosiaris
Hello everyone,

The migration is completed. Now grafana.wikimedia.org supports the
"Sign-in" action (accessible from the top-left button) that allows to
edit dashboard by providing LDAP credentials.

grafana-admin.wikimedia.org is deprecated and no longer working as it
used to and will be removed at an unspecified later point in time. I
would urge everyone to update bookmarks, links and anything else using
it to now use grafana.wikimedia.org

Don't hesitate to reach out in
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T170150 if you experience any
problems.