help!

Elisabeth Freeman
Hi all,
I just subscribed, so this may be a topic that has already been
discussed and if so, I apologize in advance.

I just upgraded from Mac OS X 10.4.3 to 10.4.4, and my Media Wiki
stopped working.  Argghhh!  I can't live without it.

Here's the error message:
Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /Users/beth/
Sites/mediawiki-1.4.5/includes/ObjectCache.php on line 409

I was running 1.4.5, on MySQL 4.x  and php 4.x.  I tried to find info
about this problem online, and saw one message from someone who said
it was related to an update in the php version on Mac, but I checked
the documentation and MediaWiki 1.4.5 doesn't seem to require php 4.x
specifically.

I am attempting fix the problem by installing the new version of
Media Wiki, 1.5.4.  However, when I try to install I see the
following error in the Web installation.

Database config

MySQL server

Connection failed
If your database server isn't on your web server, enter the name or
IP address here.

I get the same error if I try to use the upgrade / update php scripts.

I've verified I'm using exactly the same database connection host,
user id, and password as the previous version of the wiki, and
indeed, I can connect to it using those same parameters from the
command line with no problem:

[Delerium:~/Sites/wiki] beth% mysql -h localhost -u wikiuser -p
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 50 to server version: 4.0.21 Complete
MySQL by Server Logistics

mysql> show databases;
+----------+
| Database |
+----------+
| test     |
| wikidb   |
+----------+
2 rows in set (0.01 sec)

mysql>

So, now I'm suspecting that the reason my Media Wiki 1.4.5 is failing
after this update to Mac OS X 10.4.4 may be something else?
Something to do with the way the operating system connects to MySql?
But I'm not sure.  I'm running mysql out of /usr/local/mysql and
there is no other installation of mysql (that I *know* of...)

Any clues?  Anyone else having a problem after updating to 10.4.4?  I
am happy to stick with 1.4.5 if I can fix that error, or upgrade to
1.5.4 if that's the better way to solve it.  A solution to either of
these problems would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Beth

Re: help!

Jon Simon
At 09:52 PM 15/01/2006, Elisabeth Freeman wrote:
I cannot help you, I too just joined after screwing up my media-wiki
that was running fine (but ugly for several months...the culprit...I
thought I had learned some CSS by reading the EXCELLENT Head First
HTML with CSS & XHTML. I first converted my web sites to XHTML and
decided (foolishly) to tackle my wiki.

I thing I have found my problems ( or at least know now how to fix them).

I am very reluctant to upgrade my site for fear of more damage.

Best of luck...and if you are the same Elizabeth Freeman from the
book (mentioned above). Great work !!!

Express your views at:
http://strategicvoting.ca

Re: help!

Brion Vibber
Elisabeth Freeman wrote:
> I was running 1.4.5, on MySQL 4.x  and php 4.x.  I tried to find info
> about this problem online, and saw one message from someone who said it
> was related to an update in the php version on Mac, but I checked the
> documentation and MediaWiki 1.4.5 doesn't seem to require php 4.x
> specifically.

My test system uses several custom installations of PHP so I haven't seen this
exact problem, but it sounds like this problem here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060111113313511&lsrc=osxh

Fiddling with the socket files as in that page should help, give it a try.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: help!

Elisabeth Freeman-2
Brion wrote:

> Elisabeth Freeman wrote:
>
>> I was running 1.4.5, on MySQL 4.x  and php 4.x.  I tried to find info
>> about this problem online, and saw one message from someone who
>> said it
>> was related to an update in the php version on Mac, but I checked the
>> documentation and MediaWiki 1.4.5 doesn't seem to require php 4.x
>> specifically.
>>

> My test system uses several custom installations of PHP so I
> haven't seen this
> exact problem, but it sounds like this problem here:
>
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?
> story=20060111113313511&lsrc=osxh
>
> Fiddling with the socket files as in that page should help, give it
> a try.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Thank you!  This was the ticket.  It pointed me to the Apple support
document here:

which indicated how to create a configuration file to point the new
location to the old sock file.
Worked like a charm!

Beth

Re: help!

Jan Steinman
> From: Elisabeth Freeman <[hidden email]>
>
> I just upgraded from Mac OS X 10.4.3 to 10.4.4, and my Media Wiki
> stopped working.  Argghhh!  I can't live without it.

I know the feeling! I just went through the same thing. A dozen
websites, most unrelated to MediaWiki -- none of them working!

Apple "thoughtfully" changed where PHP looks for the localhost socket
to MySQL.

Others have suggested making a symbolic link between where MySQL's
socket actually is and where PHP is looking for it. I think this is a
messy solution that will probably break again in some future update.

The solution is to get them to agree on where the socket is. You can
easily do this in the configuration files of either program. Since
PHP is the bad guy here, and MySQL was just minding its own business,
I chose to "fix" what Apple "broke" via /etc/php.ini:

patch <<-DONE
        668c668
        < mysql.default_socket =
        ---
        > mysql.default_socket = /tmp/mysql.sock
DONE

If you might be upgrading to MacOS X Server at some point, it might
be better to change /etc/my.cnf instead, since that is now how MySQL
is configured from Apple. And perhaps the official MysQL
distributions will be changed to reflect that at some point.

It has also been suggested to change the client to use "127.0.0.1"
instead of "localhost". This technique will use the network
interface, rather than a socket, and will be slower and use more
system resources, although perhaps not noticeably so.

Thanks, Apple.

:::: If you aren't doing incremental development, you're gonna get
excremental results. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, Bytesmiths http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van ::::