.htaccess/rewrite help for subdomain

Michelle-12
I managed to get .htaccess Rewrite to work and yield pretty URL's for
a basic setup like this:

www.mydomain.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

The wiki is installed in w/ and the pages show the user the nice
wiki/ URL's.

Now I'd like to change the external URL to my wiki to be:

wiki.mydomain.com/index.php/Main_Page

Where wiki is an empty directory because the wiki code is still in w/

Some noob questions:

Does the .htaccess file need to be in the wiki directory rather than
the root directory? I assume so since it's like a different site. I
can't seem to get it to recognize where the w/ directory is. For
example, this htaccess in the wiki directory yields the correct URL
but a 404 error on the wiki:

RewriteRule ^index.php/(.*)$ /w/index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]

I've tried more explicitly specifying the 'to' rule but it just
yields a mess.  If I move .htaccess up one level to the domain.com/
root, then it seems the rules don't recognize that wiki.domain.com is
valid.

So if anyone has made the pretty URL rewrite rules work for a
subdomain, I'd appreciate knowing what you did.

Michelle

Re: .htaccess/rewrite help for subdomain

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
For / as with:
http://wiki.mydomain.com/index.php/Main_Page

php_flag register_globals off
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]

--+

For /wiki as with:
http://www.mydomain.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

php_flag register_globals off
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /wiki/index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]

Re: .htaccess/rewrite help for subdomain

Michelle-12
Thanks, but don't you need to have the virtual directory separate
from the real code directory, eg (for non-subdomain case):

RewriteRule ^wiki/index.php/(.*)$ /w/index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]

Or is that not required if it's a subdomain?

Michelle

On 5/14/06, Michelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, but don't you need to have the virtual directory separate
> from the real code directory, eg (for non-subdomain case):
>
> RewriteRule ^wiki/index.php/(.*)$ /w/index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]
>
> Or is that not required if it's a subdomain?

All I know is that it works for me.  =)

I don't like using /w or /wiki when I can avoid it.. yes, this means
that I cannot have certain page names in my wiki because they are real
files my htdocs root.

Re: .htaccess/rewrite help for subdomain

Helmut Hullen-3
Hallo, Michelle,

Du meintest am 14.05.06 zum Thema Re: [Mediawiki-l] .htaccess/rewrite help for subdomain:

> Thanks, but don't you need to have the virtual directory separate
> from the real code directory, eg (for non-subdomain case):

> RewriteRule ^wiki/index.php/(.*)$ /w/index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]

Perhaps you need too

        RewriteBase /wiki.mydomain.com/

and then

        RewriteRule (.*)$ index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]

together with the "RewriteCond" lines

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut

Re: .htaccess/rewrite help for subdomain

Helmut Hullen-3
Hallo, Michelle,

Du meintest am 14.05.06 zum Thema [Mediawiki-l] .htaccess/rewrite help for subdomain:

> I managed to get .htaccess Rewrite to work and yield pretty URL's
> for a basic setup like this:

> www.mydomain.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

[...]

> Does the .htaccess file need to be in the wiki directory rather
> than the root directory? I assume so since it's like a different
> site. I can't seem to get it to recognize where the w/ directory
> is. For example, this htaccess in the wiki directory yields the
> correct URL but a 404 error on the wiki:

> RewriteRule ^index.php/(.*)$ /w/index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]

I have the following directory structure and ".htaccess" file:

------------------------------------
Directory:

drwxr-xr-x   14 xxxxx    vmusers      4096 May 15 09:40 mediawiki-1.6.1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 xxxxx    vmusers         4 Apr  1 11:41 wiki -> Wiki
lrwxrwxrwx    1 xxxxx    vmusers        15 Apr  6 15:04 Wiki -> mediawiki-1.6.1

File ".htaccess" in "mediawiki-1.6.1"

# if you want to use mod_rewrite, set this 'On'
RewriteEngine On

# the path to your installation
RewriteBase /Wiki/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]
#

------------------------------------

You ca see the result at

                http://arktur.de/Wiki

A minor thing: when I go from the main page to "5.6 Zusatzprogramme"
and there to "openVPN", I see the long URL.

   http://arktur.de/Wiki/index.php?title=Zusatzprogramme:openvpn

But when I delete

        index.php?title=

all works fine.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut

Re: .htaccess/rewrite help for subdomain

Michelle-12
Thanks very much. I took many bits of advice and managed to put
something together that nearly works :)
Michelle