[idea] flash movie for history view

Tei-2
Maybe could be interesting to save a wiki Page as a Flash movie, with
the frames as the versions of the page. With a slider to move back in
time, or forward. First frame first edit, last frame last edit.

You can even stream it,  start with last frame, and send one before,
and the one before that one.. etc.. and stop with the first one.

Or even a "Save as PDF" button on the wikipedia.

ℱin del ℳensaje.

Re: [idea] flash movie for history view

Mohamed Magdy-2

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Wikis_Go_Printable

http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Collection/render_article/?arttitle=Main_Page&writer=rl

--
--alnokta

Re: [idea] flash movie for history view

Stig Meireles Johansen
Hi there,

There exists a greasemonkey-script for animating the history of a page.
This could relatively easy be converted into a Gadget.

Flash <whatever> is a *big* no-no in my book.

/Stigmj

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Tei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe could be interesting to save a wiki Page as a Flash movie, with
> the frames as the versions of the page. With a slider to move back in
> time, or forward. First frame first edit, last frame last edit.
>
> You can even stream it,  start with last frame, and send one before,
> and the one before that one.. etc.. and stop with the first one.
>
> Or even a "Save as PDF" button on the wikipedia.

> ℱin del ℳensaje.

Re: [idea] flash movie for history view

Gregory Maxwell
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Tei <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe could be interesting to save a wiki Page as a Flash movie, with
> the frames as the versions of the page. With a slider to move back in
> time, or forward. First frame first edit, last frame last edit.
>
> You can even stream it,  start with last frame, and send one before,
> and the one before that one.. etc.. and stop with the first one.

http://phiffer.org/projects/wikipedia-animate/

Re: [idea] flash movie for history view

Chris Down-2
From what I have seen of that feature, it is going to need a lot more
tweaking before it is ready to be rolled out. That said, it could indeed be
a useful feature in the future.

As for flash being a nono, what is so wrong with using it for a feature such
as this? My only real worry about using it in such a circumstance would be
that it would be used liberally on the monobook itself... how about as a
gadget?

- Chris

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Mohamed Magdy <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Tei <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Or even a "Save as PDF" button on the wikipedia.
> >
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Wikis_Go_Printable
>

> http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Collection/render_article/?arttitle=Main_Page&writer=rl
>
> --
> --alnokta

Re: [idea] flash movie for history view

Bryan Tong Minh
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Chris Down
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> As for flash being a nono, what is so wrong with using it for a feature such
> as this? My only real worry about using it in such a circumstance would be
> that it would be used liberally on the monobook itself... how about as a
> gadget?

It happens to be unfree.

Re: [idea] flash movie for history view

Gregory Maxwell
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Chris Down
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> From what I have seen of that feature, it is going to need a lot more
> tweaking before it is ready to be rolled out. That said, it could indeed be
> a useful feature in the future.
>
> As for flash being a nono, what is so wrong with using it for a feature such
> as this? My only real worry about using it in such a circumstance would be
> that it would be used liberally on the monobook itself... how about as a
> gadget?

In this case there isn't much point in discussing flash from a pure
technical perspective, since you can already do fairly good animation
with simple broadly compatible JS. (and examples of such already
exist)

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Chris Down
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> From what I have seen of that feature, it is going to need a lot more
>> tweaking before it is ready to be rolled out. That said, it could indeed be
>> a useful feature in the future.
>>
>> As for flash being a nono, what is so wrong with using it for a feature such
>> as this? My only real worry about using it in such a circumstance would be
>> that it would be used liberally on the monobook itself... how about as a
>> gadget?
>
> In this case there isn't much point in discussing flash from a pure
> technical perspective, since you can already do fairly good animation
> with simple broadly compatible JS. (and examples of such already
> exist)

I did one here:
http://zerror.com/bin/videolol/

Other than Opera for Nintendo DS, having a JS based video player make no sense.

Anyway this is a discussion for
mailto:[hidden email]?subject='[OT] Is Flash
Evil?'&body=yes

Often people choose binary protocols (like SWF) because it make easier
to optimize the filesize. Anything that make lots of request to a
server may have a horrible overheat.
And you can save a SWF file, and play it offline.

ℱin del ℳensaje.

Re: [idea] flash movie for history view

Aryeh Gregor
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Tei <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyway this is a discussion for
> mailto:[hidden email]?subject='[OT] Is Flash
> Evil?'&body=yes
>
> Often people choose binary protocols (like SWF) because it make easier
> to optimize the filesize. Anything that make lots of request to a
> server may have a horrible overheat.
> And you can save a SWF file, and play it offline.

Whether Flash is acceptable for Wikimedia uses is not off-topic.  It's
been discussed here and on Foundation-l in the past, and it's been
made clear that it and other non-free formats will be avoided wherever
practical for official uses.  Of course, what users may choose to put
up on the toolserver or other places is a different issue.

I don't know why you think JavaScript-based animation would cause
larger filesize here.  In principle all you'd need is a short
procedural script that would replace the HTML of the page and let the
browser re-render it.  Unless you plan to squish it so that it fits in
a reasonable-sized image, and is unreadable on large pages?

Of course, actually rendering the real page would have a very good use
beyond being standards-compliant: it would serve as a quick way to
jump through revisions looking for where a change was introduced or
similar, rather than having to go back to the history page and click a
link.  You could even do prefetching to avoid synchronous page loads
and thereby make it very fast, like paging through Gmail.  It could be
quite practical.

Re: [idea] flash movie for history view

Bryan Tong Minh
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> It could be
> quite practical.

Presuming that old versions of images and templates where loaded along
side, of course.

Re: [idea] flash movie for history view

Aryeh Gregor
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Bryan Tong Minh
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Presuming that old versions of images and templates where loaded along
> side, of course.

That would definitely be nice, but not critical for it to be fairly
useful.  If it just used existing history views, that would be pretty
useful too.

Re: [idea] flash movie for history view

Tei-2
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Aryeh Gregor
> Of course, actually rendering the real page would have a very good use
> beyond being standards-compliant: it would serve as a quick way to
> jump through revisions looking for where a change was introduced or
> similar, rather than having to go back to the history page and click a
> link.  You could even do prefetching to avoid synchronous page loads
> and thereby make it very fast, like paging through Gmail.  It could be
> quite practical.

Related:
I just found that wikipedia let you use a custom javascript,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:username/monobook.js
thats is a better option than greasemonkey, very interesting!.

ℱin del ℳensaje.