images

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
This article is of both interest to Commons and Wikipedia.. It is awesome.
Thanks,
    GerardM

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28976849

Re: images

Fabrice Florin-2
Thanks, Gerard!

This seems like a great idea.

I believe that Liam Wyatt and Andrew Lih are reaching out to the project leader, to see if he needs help uploading some of that content to Commons.

Music to my ears :)

Fabrice

On Aug 29, 2014, at 2:34 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hoi,
This article is of both interest to Commons and Wikipedia.. It is awesome.
Thanks,
    GerardM

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28976849

_______________________________

Fabrice Florin
Product Manager, Multimedia

Re: images

Jeremy Baron
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Jane Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Commons should do the same for images buried in PDF and DjVu file types

not sure about DjVu but PDF is already covered:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Open_Access_Media_Importer_Bot#Gallery_of_recently_uploaded_files

-Jeremy

Re: images

Andrew Gray-3
A note of caution: this material isn't really suitable for being
dumped en masse into Commons just now. as it won't have much metadata
beyond "an image, unidentified, from a book on subject X". See
https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/14595431897/
for an example of what the automated labelling is like. It's certainly
useful to keep an eye on, but we'll need to hold off until some of the
identification work has been done :-)

We went through this with a similar collection from the British
Library - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:British_Library/Mechanical_Curator_collection
- which is slowly being migrated, bit by bit.

Andrew.

On 29 August 2014 22:14, Fabrice Florin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Gerard!
>
> This seems like a great idea.
>
> I believe that Liam Wyatt and Andrew Lih are reaching out to the project
> leader, to see if he needs help uploading some of that content to Commons.
>
> Music to my ears :)
>

> Fabrice
>

> On Aug 29, 2014, at 2:34 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hoi,
> This article is of both interest to Commons and Wikipedia.. It is awesome.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28976849
>

> _______________________________
>
> Fabrice Florin
> Product Manager, Multimedia
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Fabrice_Florin_(WMF)

- Andrew Gray

Re: images

Daniel Schwen-2
> beyond "an image, unidentified, from a book on subject X". See
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/14595431897/
> for an example of what the automated labelling is like. It's certainly

On that page it says "Taken on July 29, 2014". People are really going
overboard with those Instagram filters! :-)

Re: images

Yann Forget-3
I think it would be better to have the whole books, rather than images
out of context.

Regards,

Yann

> Hoi,
> This article is of both interest to Commons and Wikipedia.. It is awesome.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28976849

Re: images

David Goodman-2
The reason to have the images specifically is that the key part of their project was the great difficulty in identifying and extracting the images from the books. . .

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think it would be better to have the whole books, rather than images
out of context.

Regards,

Yann

> Hoi,
> This article is of both interest to Commons and Wikipedia.. It is awesome.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28976849

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG

Re: images

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
The point is very much that where we did not have these images at all, we are now blessed with having them, When you read the article, you will read that the project was about going back to the scans and extract the images from it. Those scans were used before to get only the text out.

So in a round about way, they did have the meta data about the images and extracted them. They have the text and now they now have the images as well. What is left is stitching the images and the texts back together based on the existing meta data.. In essence everything to make this happen is available.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 30 August 2014 20:26, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think it would be better to have the whole books, rather than images
out of context.

Regards,

Yann

> Hoi,
> This article is of both interest to Commons and Wikipedia.. It is awesome.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28976849

Re: images

Yann Forget-3
I don't see any issue extracting the images from the books. However I
see a problem identifying an image when it is out of context.
And the text of the books is certainly as much of interest as the images.

Regards,

Yann

> The reason to have the images specifically is that the key part of their
> project was the great difficulty in identifying and extracting the images
> from the books. . .
>

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think it would be better to have the whole books, rather than images
>> out of context.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Yann

>> > Hoi,
>> > This article is of both interest to Commons and Wikipedia.. It is
>> > awesome.
>> > Thanks,
>> >     GerardM
>> >
>> > http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28976849

> David Goodman
>
> DGG at the enWP
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

Re: images

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
I don't see any issue extracting the images from the books. However I
see a problem identifying an image when it is out of context.
And the text of the books is certainly as much of interest as the images.

But every image in this Flickr project contains an excerpt of the text that wraps the image. Also in every image there is a link to Internet Archive for reading the full page/book.

I don't think that there is any issue with this. I guess you didn't explored an image example? :-)
Regards,

Yann

> The reason to have the images specifically is that the key part of their
> project was the great difficulty in identifying and extracting the images
> from the books. . .
>

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think it would be better to have the whole books, rather than images
>> out of context.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Yann

>> > Hoi,
>> > This article is of both interest to Commons and Wikipedia.. It is
>> > awesome.
>> > Thanks,
>> >     GerardM
>> >
>> > http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28976849

> David Goodman
>
> DGG at the enWP
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

Re: images

David Goodman-2
The simplest way to connect the material is to link it. The entire point of the project was to make the images not merely accessible, but easily findable., and easy to link to specifically.

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 9:45 AM, Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada <[hidden email]> wrote:

I don't see any issue extracting the images from the books. However I
see a problem identifying an image when it is out of context.
And the text of the books is certainly as much of interest as the images.

But every image in this Flickr project contains an excerpt of the text that wraps the image. Also in every image there is a link to Internet Archive for reading the full page/book.

I don't think that there is any issue with this. I guess you didn't explored an image example? :-)
Regards,

Yann

> The reason to have the images specifically is that the key part of their
> project was the great difficulty in identifying and extracting the images
> from the books. . .
>

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think it would be better to have the whole books, rather than images
>> out of context.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Yann

>> > Hoi,
>> > This article is of both interest to Commons and Wikipedia.. It is
>> > awesome.
>> > Thanks,
>> >     GerardM
>> >
>> > http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28976849

> David Goodman
>
> DGG at the enWP
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG

Re: images

Federico Leva (Nemo)
https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/fist.php is capable of finding useful
images in that Flickr stream; I've reported some issues at
https://bitbucket.org/magnusmanske/magnustools/issues/
I asked the researcher to post suggestions in the tracker etc. but he
replied that "broader conversations [...] with folks over at Wikipedia"
are ongoing. Does someone know who those folks are? Any reason Commons-l
can't be cc'd?

Nemo

Re: images

Poco a Poco-2
Hello!

I think that this discussion is relevant for Commons-l.
We (WMES) are actually currently very interested in this topic. We are getting for WLM14 more images via Flickr than directly via Commons, and are now wondering how to bring those over to Wikimedia Commons after the Flickrupload [1] bot didn't make it to WMFLabs.

Diego

https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/fist.php is capable of finding useful
images in that Flickr stream; I've reported some issues at
https://bitbucket.org/magnusmanske/magnustools/issues/
I asked the researcher to post suggestions in the tracker etc. but he
replied that "broader conversations [...] with folks over at Wikipedia"
are ongoing. Does someone know who those folks are? Any reason Commons-l
can't be cc'd?

Nemo

Re: images

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com

Flickr2commons [1] would be good too.

[1]: http://tools.wmflabs.org/flickr2commons/

-Yena Hong (Revi)
http://www.revi.pe.kr
-- Sent from Android --

2014. 9. 3. 오전 1:32에 "Poco a Poco" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
[...]

Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W.-2

I think the best tool for uploading Flickr images is the Flickr option in standard Upload Wizard. See

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump/Proposals#Activate_Flickr_option_in_current_UploadWizard_to_all_users

Jarek T.

(user:jarekt)

Flickr2Commons is the best tool I have used till date for such purposes.

On 03-Sep-2014 5:08 am, "Hong, Yena" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Flickr2commons [1] would be good too.

[1]: http://tools.wmflabs.org/flickr2commons/

-Yena Hong (Revi)
http://www.revi.pe.kr
-- Sent from Android --

2014. 9. 3. 오전 1:32 "Poco a Poco" <[hidden email]>님이 작성: