importDump.php problem

Kevin L. Gross

Anybody? Helllooooooooo! Are my messages getting thru?

Just tell me you see my message if nothing else.  C'mon,
really. Help me out here, throw me a bone.

Ask me a question if you need to, just please Helllp!

I'm using:

   MediaWiki 1.7.1
   Postgresql-8.1.4
   Gentoo Linux on Sparc Ultra2

The MediaWiki installed OK and I'm able to use a Perl
script to grab the desired .xml pages, but I'm getting this
error when running importDump.php from the command line:

for x in /local/swikis/*.xml
do
  php maintenance/importDump.php $x
done

DB connection error: No database connection
DB connection error: No database connection
DB connection error: No database connection
DB connection error: No database connection

How does the script know which database to use? Are there
environment variables?

How do I connect the php script to the wiki database? Is
there a man page or other documentation on importDump.php
I've missed?

-Kevin

Re: importDump.php problem

Rob Church
On 18/08/06, Kevin L. Gross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anybody? Helllooooooooo! Are my messages getting thru?
>
> Just tell me you see my message if nothing else.  C'mon,
> really. Help me out here, throw me a bone.
>
> Ask me a question if you need to, just please Helllp!

Will you STOP bloody reposting the same question several times, each
with an increasingly whiny tone? They most certainly are getting
through, and getting on my nerves, at least.

You haven't had a response. OK, so perhaps no-one knows. Or perhaps
the people who do know haven't gotten round to reading or answering.
Any road, continuing in this inconsiderate manner is going to get a
lot of backs up and piss off the very people who might otherwise help
you.

Learn a bit of mailing list etiquette.

Rob Church

Re: importDump.php problem

Kevin L. Gross

> Will you STOP bloody reposting the same question several times, each

Jesus, Rob. I didn't know you were God. Sorry. Or are you just having
your period? I would opine that you are wasting the list's time with
your whining about an email or three that you didn't take the time to
answer or even acknowledge in the past 15 hours.

Perhaps YOU should take some time to "Learn a bit of mailing list etiquette".

A simple reply of, "Yes we see your messages, but we do not have the
answer or the time to look into it." would have sufficed. This isn't
my first email list and your suggestion that I need "etiquette advice"
is both unneeded and churlish.

Your arrogant attitude exceeds your meanness, but not by much.

-Kevin Gross

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 11:10:00PM +0100, Rob Church ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On 18/08/06, Kevin L. Gross <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Anybody? Helllooooooooo! Are my messages getting thru?
> >
> > Just tell me you see my message if nothing else.  C'mon,
> > really. Help me out here, throw me a bone.
> >
> > Ask me a question if you need to, just please Helllp!
>
> Will you STOP bloody reposting the same question several times, each
> with an increasingly whiny tone? They most certainly are getting
> through, and getting on my nerves, at least.
>
> You haven't had a response. OK, so perhaps no-one knows. Or perhaps
> the people who do know haven't gotten round to reading or answering.
> Any road, continuing in this inconsiderate manner is going to get a
> lot of backs up and piss off the very people who might otherwise help
> you.
>
> Learn a bit of mailing list etiquette.
>

> Rob Church

Re: importDump.php problem

Stephen Warren
Kevin L. Gross wrote:
>> Will you STOP bloody reposting the same question several times, each
>
> Jesus, Rob. I didn't know you were God. Sorry. Or are you just having
> your period? I would opine that you are wasting the list's time with
> your whining about an email or three that you didn't take the time to
> answer or even acknowledge in the past 15 hours.
>
> Perhaps YOU should take some time to "Learn a bit of mailing list etiquette".

Well, no, really, you should.

*Expecting* (as though it is your right that somebody must submit to)
somebody answer your messages on your timescale for free is retarded.

Re: importDump.php problem

Kevin L. Gross
On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 04:57:59PM -0600, Stephen Warren ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Perhaps YOU should take some time to "Learn a bit of mailing list etiquette".
>
> Well, no, really, you should.
>
> *Expecting* (as though it is your right that somebody must submit to)
> somebody answer your messages on your timescale for free is retarded.

Good thing I didn't do that then, huh? I would have liked an answer, or
a welcome to the list, or a simple "I don't know". Any message would have
been great. But nooooooooooooooooo, you only have time for recriminations.

I simply sent out a message that I wasn't sure was getting thru. Perhaps
I should have assumed it was, but ANY email reply would have told me what
the status was. Tim G. was gracious enough to do so. Why couldn't Rob
(or you) do the same? He took more time to bitch at me, as are you, than
it would have taken less time to simply reply.

My expectations were such that I was going to converse with technical folks
that enjoy working with MediaWiki, not a with couple of beaureaucrats more
concerned with being the boss of the Email List and lecturing on how to
use email and email lists I've been using since 1980.

But you go ahead and believe that you know what I'm thinking.

What am I thinking now?

-Kevin Gross

Re: importDump.php problem

Brion Vibber
Kevin L. Gross wrote:
>> Will you STOP bloody reposting the same question several times, each
>
> Jesus, Rob. I didn't know you were God. Sorry. Or are you just having
> your period?

I have removed this person from the mailing list; such language is unacceptable.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / brion @ wikimedia.org)

Re: importDump.php problem

Jan Steinman
(Yawn.) Shall I compare someone to Hitler so we can call this over
and get on with it?

(And if you don't recognize the allusion, then you really do need to
read Emily Postnews Guide to Nettiquette, no matter how experienced
you think you are! :-)

:::: Base 8 is just like base 10, if you are missing two fingers. -
Tom Lehrer
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/003AA08>

That was the year that was (was importDump.php problem)

James Mohr-3
I'm sure we all agree that we ought to love one another, and I know there are
people in the world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate
people like that! (also Tom Lehrer)